Woodchucks!

MuzzyLoader

How many of you guys/gals hunt woodchuck with your archery equipment?

I went out Thursday evening and got three. I even got two of 'em with one shot (first time that ever happened!), I took my camera along to take photos, but deceided not to - they would be terribly graphic. :fie:

Two babies and a momma. Gonna go back out probably Monday - there's more to be had.

It's outstanding practice for deer hunting! :spiteful:

• Like 1

...No time right now but today I took Angel with me on a late afternoon walk....we now have one less wood chuck...thought she'd torn out after a chipmunk...but then I heard her "war" growl then a high pitched squeal....I told her to stand down untiI could see what she had...there she stood over a young chuck...with one foot holding it down....I told her she was a good girl and to kill it....she bent down and quickly snapped it's neck...then snapped its back for good measure...her efficiency surprised me...I praised her and told her to come ...she never looked back

One less chuck to dig tire catchers and eat the beans in the plot before deer or turkey can

I typically just use the rifle, but I salute you for using the bow ! As far as dogs go, my jack Russell has a few chucks under her belt and typically go deep in the holes for them. Makes me chuckle to see my 8 lb dog carrying a 15lb chuck. No matter how much I yell, she's always hunting something. Rabbits, chucks, squirrels and chipmunks are not safe. Part of living in the sticks. Maybe ill grab my bow and dog and hit the fields :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How many of you guys/gals hunt woodchuck with your archery equipment?

I went out Thursday evening and got three. I even got two of 'em with one shot (first time that ever happened!), I took my camera along to take photos, but deceided not to - they would be terribly graphic. :fie:

Two babies and a momma. Gonna go back out probably Monday - there's more to be had.

It's outstanding practice for deer hunting! :spiteful:

Whistle pigs are great practice for deer, considering they are the size of a deer kill zone! I got some G5 small game heads coming, I hear they do a great job stopping'em in their tracks.

Take some pics next time!

Chuckbow.jpg

chuckin3.jpg

2ndchuck.jpg

Whistle pigs are great practice for deer, considering they are the size of a deer kill zone! I got some G5 small game heads coming, I hear they do a great job stopping'em in their tracks.

Take some pics next time!

I'll have to get some small-game heads... broadheads don't really allow for photos - and I'd like to 'show-off' my old-age archery skills. hehe

I tried shooting a squirrel with a broadhead. It jumped the bow and my arrow ended up digging into dirt and hitting a buried rock. Snapped my blade. I went and bought some blunt tips for small game and I can't get them to fly straight. I'll try some more but it looks like I'll stick to the trusty 22 for the most part.