Hunters Feeding The hungry

wztirem

First year I had my property I had to do some doe management, got four does.

Donated 2 of these. Several processors in my area participate and it was easy.

I did call before hand to ensure they were taking donations.

Processor was very clear about only bringing in a good sized deer.

Apparently it cost them the same in time & labor for any size.

Cost the hunter nothing but their time & gas and the DMP.

Have never followed up on where it goes once it leaves the processors.

Hopefully it gets put to good use!!!

Between myself and family, there is never any extra.

Also not a lot of processors anywhere near me even though all they are allowed to do is grind it all - a fairly easy procedure.

I know that a few years ago, the local foodbanks  could not give out anywhere near what they took in.

It was not oversupply - it seems few of the clients have any interest or willingness to take it.

I have donated deer in the past . I have no idea if any needy person ever got the meat though . The state pays the processor the cost of processing the deer so the taxpayers are paying for it .

Not a tax~

For every dollar that is donated to the Venison Donation Coalition, $.95 is used towards processing the venison.  $105,000 was spent in 2008 on venison processing fees. Donations can be made at your Town Clerk’s office or anywhere hunting and fishing licenses are sold. Just inform the D.E.C.A.L.S. licensing agent that you wish to make a donation to support the Venison Donation Program.

All donations through D.E.C.A.L.S. are deposited directly into the Venison Donation Fund. Donations can also be accepted through the secure website, or send a check payable to: Venison Donation Coalition, Inc., 415 West Morris Street, Bath, NY 14810.

In my case, there is no shortage of local needy families that can use some extra protien in their diets. I have always tried to see that one of those local families that I have gotten to know get some of mine. I know it helps them out. On the other hand, the Venison Donation Coalition is a very good hunter activity that provides some very high visibility P.R. for hunters and hunting, and is probably a better way of utilizing excess venison than the kind of thing that I do. The problem is that the recipients of my excess venison really do look forward to it and really have a need for it, so there is no way that I can stop doing it now in favor of the government sanctioned program.

Doc

I cannot shoot enough deer to satisfy the demands for venison from friends and family. The problem for me lies in the cost of having the deer butchered. Years ago I performed the task myself but since having moved to a new home some years back I do not have the room nor the time. Thankfully, my brother  offers to share the cost of having the deer butchered and I give him first dibs on the prime cuts.

I try to donate a deer a year if I shoot more than 2. I have done it a bunch of times, you just drop the deer off at a participating processor.

Down on Long Island there is only one processor who participates in the venison donation program and they require that you call first. That's a problem, as the state pays a fixed amount to the processor for butchering a deer while the processor can make more money by butchering a  deer (minimum of $70.00) from anyone else. We need more processors down here to participate in the venison donation program.

The list for Cayuga County has a processor that has been closed 2 years and stopped participation a year or 2 before that.

I try to donate a deer a year if I shoot more than 2. I have done it a bunch of times, you just drop the deer off at a participating processor.

Down on Long Island there is only one processor who participates in the venison donation program and they require that you call first. That's a problem, as the state pays a fixed amount to the processor for butchering a deer while the processor can make more money by butchering a  deer (minimum of $70.00) from anyone else. We need more processors down here to participate in the venison donation program.

There is more than one butcher who participates in the donation program on L.I.

One  of them got in a lot of trouble last season for taking in deer as  donated deer, and then selling the meat to undercover officers. He got  busted for selling at least 10 deer. It was all over Newsday last  November...

I process deer, but cannot participate in the donation  program as I have nowhere to store the meat until the foodbank decides  to come get it.

I charge $80 to butcher a deer, and it seldom takes me more than a few hours to get it ready for pickup.

You can call if you need butchering: [516]847-0087.

I just did 2 bears for some Maine hunters today...

Rich, Fins to Feathers Taxidermy

I stand corrected, only 2 processors in Suffolk County were listed on the Venison Donation Website, one in Oakdale and the other in Middle Island.There were no processors in Nassau County listed as participants in the venison donation program.

IMHO, we need more processors.

The Harry Chapin food bank in Hauppauge, NY would be more than happy to accomodate all venison donations.

Like I said..nobody wants to store it until it gets picked up...I don't even store it for customers, they have to pick it up after I call them that it's finished...

And let's be honest, most guys are donating just to get another tag, or because thier wife won't let it in the house....

Rich

You dont get another tag when you donate the meat. I donate meat because it helps out others, and Id rather give them food than money that will get wasted on the overhead of a charity anyway. I have friends that donate because they are the only ones in their family that eats the venison and they cant eat that much, rather than wasting the meat because it sits in the freezer too long, they donate it.

The processor which you refer to was located in Oakdale, LI. Despite their indiscretions (alleged) they continue to accept deer for donation/processing to food banks.To date I have not heard if they were found guilty of any game violations.

Please post something that definitively refers to whether or not the processor was guilty of any game violations.

Despite indescressions? You're kidding, right? So you would continue giving business to someone who got caught selling 10 deer to undercover officers, simply because he participates in the venison donation program? As far as "alleged", you only have to check Newsday archives, it was November last year that it made the paper. Convicted or not, I don't know, People always seem to have a way to slither out of trouble with a good attorney, The simple fact that the state would invest the time in an undercover operation, and find enough evidence to make a case, would seem to invoke the old "walks like a duck, quacks like a duck" philosophy, in my opinion, anyway.

I am simply stating that if you want to continue to donate deer, thats great..I believe Emmy from Eastern can accommodate you in that endeavor, and he is as honest as the day is long.You could also bring the deer to ANY deer processor, pay the required amount, pick up the meat, and then donate it on your own. There are always options.

I really wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers, just pointing out that there is alot of red tape involved with the donation program, namely the timely pickup of meat..if they could streamline it better, maybe more processors would be involved.

Until then, everybody should do thier homework before the season, call ahead to processors and taxidermists, see who's work is up to your standards, maybe visit some shops,etc. Most hunters don't even think about where or what place to take thier game to for butchering or a mount until it's tied on top of the car, and wifey tells them to not even think of bringing it home like that..then they drop it off at whatever place answered the phone first.  I have been in this game for 30 years, and have seen that exact scenario play out every year.

My understanding is that the guy in oak dale on sunrise hwy. was convicted i heard he had to pay a fine of five thousand dollars I am not going to swear to it but I was told by some one who knows about this thing.

as for donating deer he was caught selling at lest ten deer to undercover office's my question is who's deer was he selling were they donated or did ten people just leave him ten deer I don.t know just seems funny taking deer for donations and then having ten deer to sell

• 1 month later...

This topic has not been addressed in a while but I have my thoughts on it. It may ruffle a few feathers but thats OK. I read many articles on how hunters shoot 3,4,5 deer and do so so they can donate the deer for the hungry. Isn't the old adage " the reason we hunt is to enjoy nature and to provide food for our family. Never take more than your family will eat."  That is ethical hunting.

I have friends whose families do not eat venison so they donate all their deer. It is "if it's brown it's down attitude. it is the thrill of the kill. They get a rush from killing a large animal and that is why they hunt. Now they talk like heros because they donate venison for the hungry. And in reality they got their rocks off from the kill. And that is it.

How many times these days do we hear the statement "there are so few deer. I was out all day and saw nothing."

How about a hunters coalition. Needy hunters who did not get a deer but still paid for a license could get some venison for there family.

It could also make the antler restriction controversy more viable. Pass up those 1 1/2 year old bucks. People will not be out just shooting whatever they see and that makes a safer woods for all of us. If you don't get a legal deer during the hunting season bring in your tags and you are given some venison if you wish.

I am not against feeding the hungry. Not in any way. We donate money to the local food bank quite regularly. It is important to help your fellow man.

I am just against killing for the thrill. We are not seeing as many deer in a lot of areas of the state. If we can in effect keep a health herd and increase the quality of the buck population through AR we win.