Question for the guys who hunt over food plots

meatmuzzy

After finishing up my second foodplot, one that I had intended on hunting over, I thought to myself: How do you get out of the stand in the afternoon without spooking deer? I know some people have fellow hunters drive ATV's right to the stand to pick the hunter up but im not going to have that available to me. What do you guys do?

Do you mean after dark? If so, a few guys I hunted with in PA did a coyote call. If darkness came and deer were in the plots, they would do a coyote howl and the deer would scatter. Then they would get out of the tree and walk out. The next night the deer were back in the plot.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I sit tight until it gets fairly dark...making sure I quietly lower my bow/gun to the ground on the rope right at seasons end rather days end....Then when the deer are hard to see I slowly climb down and head away from field...If ...and they usually do snort....I stomp my foot and snort back then sorta trot away from the area giving another snort or two

This is a good example of what I have been doing for years,just told this to a friend yesterday.I only hunt my own property.I am out there just about every day doing something weather permitting,with my tractor or atv with a small trailer behind it,with my buddy the 100 lb. lab.I think the deer just get use to us traveling around all year.I do not hunt in my food plots,I hunt near them Last year I rode up to a spot I was going to post that day with my atv with my buddy on it,we parked near the spot walked to it and sat there until noon, to our left were 4 does bedded down, during the morning they would get up brouse a little and lie back down,a little after noon we got on the atv went to the house had lunch,went backup on the atv rode past where they were bedded,turned around went back to where we were in the morning,they got up again walked around and bedded down until around 3:30 PM then the got up and walked down hill to the food plots and started to brouse.No bucks showed up and we waited till sunset and left they were moving from plot to plot which are all small and we rode past them with with out them being spooked at all.

the coyote howl is a great idea! Thanks Biz! This plot is so small theres no way i can get out without spooking something. I will try to put stands between bed and feed but this was a kill plot I just put in soecifiacally for me to hunt over. Thanks for the input guys!

the coyote howl is a great idea! Thanks Biz! This plot is so small theres no way i can get out without spooking something. I will try to put stands between bed and feed but this was a kill plot I just put in soecifiacally for me to hunt over. Thanks for the input guys!

Yea, man. Good Luck. When I hunted in PA there were 4 separate football field like food plots, fairly close to one another. One guy would agree to do the coyote howl at a certain planned time and I could hear it in my plot and all the deer in all the plots took off. It worked great, and they were all back the next day anyway.

I have more trouble getting busted going out to my stands. Cloudy days make it 10x worst. As early as 2pm some days. Also, early bow is bad mornings,5am.. Always bump deer then., sometimes 50 feet from the house. Have warm weather, then a cold front, always happens.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Grow - are you hot like some of those hunter girls on the Outdoor Channel?

Biz-R-O you better be polite or else you will be hanging from the meat pole come hunting season next to the 3 deer Growalot will slay. Many years ago when they were young, another forum member (Pygmy) tried to get frisky with her, and he found things out the hard way. If you don't already know, she was the cause of his stunted growth. LOL

She'd KILL you Biz-R-O Dude...

There would be nothing left of you but pecker and eyeballs..Mostly eyeballs...

And I agree with Steve..The chipmunk stew would be the SOUP de grace...

<< Pygmy chuckles at his clever pun>>.......