Breaking news . . .

Deerthug

Yea, I got into Grand Central around 9am and there were fire trucks and cops flying up and down the roads....I work in Times Square and its crazy here too, buildings evacuated. I assume this is unrelated....

view from my office in Times Square.

post-871-0-16482100-1345815369_thumb.jpg

Update: Witnesses are saying that gunman went up to one guy standing next to a woman, shot him multiple times and ran shooting indiscriminately, woman was not hit. Then gunman ran to West 33rd & 5th Ave and shot another person and then aimed his gun toward police and was killed by cops.

Now they are saying the gunman was fired from his job this morning. And that there were TWO gunmen ?????

So many different stories.

Edited by Deerthug

For all you guys who like to believe that 'armed citizens' could prevent a thing like this, I have a few questions. How do you envision the scene unfolding when the police arrive to the scene of an active shooting and find a bunch of guys (not in police uniform), guns drawn, and firing shots at each other? How would they know who the shooter is and who the well-intentioned citizens are? When the police fire on the 'armed citizens' because they can't distinguish them from the criminals, what then?

Edited by virgil

Honestly, for the people saying (I'm paraphrasing) "too bad there weren't more armed people firing guns on the crowded streets of NYC", have you ever been there?

When the police respond a minute or so later and they see multiple people with guns blasting away, how are they supposed to be able to tell the "good guys" from the "bad guys".

More guns is not the answer to every questions asked.

I'll sit back and get flamed now until Virgil posts something new for you to focus on.

EDIT: Lol, Virgil posted while I was typing my response. =D

Edited by Sogaard

For all you guys who like to believe that 'armed citizens' could prevent a thing like this, I have a few questions. How do you envision the scene unfolding when the police arrive to the scene of an active shooting and find a bunch of guys (not in police uniform), guns drawn, and firing shots at each other? How would they know who the shooter is and who the well-intentioned citizens are? When the police fire on the 'armed citizens' because they can't distinguish them from the criminals, what then?

I am not sure an armed citizen could prevent this, but they have a much better chance than an unarmed one.

I would think that the armed citizens (the good guys) would immediately comply with a lawful order to put their arms down. the ones that don't and shoot at the cops are likely the bad guys.

I am not sure an armed citizen could prevent this, but they have a much better chance than an unarmed one.

I would think that the armed citizens (the good guys) would immediately comply with a lawful order to put their arms down. the ones that don't and shoot at the cops are likely the bad guys.

Funny that you mention this. An unarmed elevator worker from the building is currently being acknowledged for both, running the shooter off, and directing cops to him.

Edited by Sogaard

The guy killed his one intended victim. He then fled a block or so where he was confronted by cops who were on the scene practically instantly. He then drew his weapon again and tried to shoot the police. They returned fire and killed him. It was in this exchange that the rest of the people were wounded.

And these are trained officers of the law.

Yeah, more people with guns on crowded streets is the answer. Srsly.

Edited by Sogaard