Spotted Fawns During Early Bow

Cabin Fever

As I was reviewing some trailcam pics from last year, I came across one that was taken on Sept. 17th. Man, that fawn sure was little! Got me thinking that there will surely be some spotted fawns around in early October, as I usually see some faint spots still visible in mid-October.

I know they are weaned by Oct. 1st, but I also know they still have a lot of survival skills (hunting season, first winter, predators, changing food sources, etc...) to learn from momma yet. It's only 2 weeks earlier than the typical opener, so it shouldn't make any difference, but they're just so dependent on momma right now.

I'm not 100% sure if my conscience will allow me, regardless of my desire for venison in the freezer? I hate to think that me being selfish, may be the kiss of death for these inexperienced fawns. I suppose I could be more selective with my does during the early season and target the yearling does from last year that I have around that don't have any fawns. I have a few of those around...

This pic was from Sept. 17th 2011, only 2 weeks earlier than season opens this year...

Fawn9-17-11.jpg

Just gives you a reason to pic and choose what you shoot...they tend to herd up in the fall/ winter....... so the orphaned fawns will find a group to hang out with....Though several years ago a bunch of fawns were on there own in late Oct...they ran through all our property's(neighbors) crying for 3 days..it was disturbing to say the least...first and hopefully the last time I see/hear that...

To me, shooting fawns or yearlings are a wasted tag. If you have multiple Tags and Butcher yourself I suppose it's less work. But if you have your animal butchered, that becomes a very expensive fawn. I'd rather let them grow up anyway.

Besides.. don't want to take a chance at shooting next years Buck!

Edited by SteveMcD

Last season, I wiped out a doe family...a matriarch and her two fawns.

Shot momma at 5 yards with the bow and those two fawns bawlled all morning long. Ended up takign the fawns later in gun season...one on a drive where there were 8 does busting out of the same spot and that was the first one that gave me a clean, safe shot. I had pulled the trigger before I realized it was one of the orphaned fawns. A week later, a short last weekend sit in the a.m. and the final one popped out about 60 yards alone. That time of year, deer were scarce to see...and I was only going to have one unobstructed chance to shoot before it was gone. I did...walking up to it...recognized it.

Nature is ugly. I'd rather have passed at the young'uns but I had to make quick decisions and they both fell the wrong way for them.

A few years back, same woodlot, I cleaned out 2 of 3 in the family. The BB bedded by me for an hour when his sister came by...she was much bigger, likely her yearling, and I needed some venison as the season hadn't progressed well for me. She went down. Momma doe was about 15 minutes behind her...same spot...she went down. BB got up, and mosied off. I obviously didn't want to shoot the little guy. Ended up shooting a buck later that night...darn near filled all my archery tags and DMPs that night...if I only had more arrows in the quiver!

Keep in mind, however, this is in a VERY HIGH DPSM...does are overrunning the area. This year is even worse.

Edited by phade

I have seen more fawns this year than any other year that I can remember.There were three at a county park one evening, triplets I assumed.At some town park land that I walk I was 5 yds. from two fawns and the mother wasn't scared at all.Must be used to people being near.I am guessing our mild winter last year has something to do with the high number of fawns I have been seeing this summer.

Sorry but it still baffles me how you can mistake a fawn for an adult deer. I can think of very little occasions if any have I seen spotted fawns come bow season OCT1 in the north country at home. Even the ones on my trail cams now have lost there spots already. Body size and length of face is a dead giveaway. I shot a fawn once, a little button buck with my bow and it was the first deer I taken with a bow about 20 years ago. Last one that ever died from my doings. Short face, small body, short tail,short neck.

Edited by wdswtr

Phades story goes along with my point/fear. Taking momma makes the inexperienced fawns way more susceptible to hunters, as they just don't know any better. Can they "survive"? Sure, if they are allowed to. Will they "thrive" and be as wary of a creature as they should be? No. They haven't had a sufficient amount of time with momma to be taught about survival.

If I see a deer during late gun or muzzleloader season, 90% of the time it'll be a fawn(s) by itself/themselves. Momma has already been taken and they just don't know any better to lay low and to move after dark, like the adult deer or fawns that still have momma. Again, taking momma away makes the fawns more susceptible to hunters later. I've found many times that the fawns will stick around in a close proximity to where momma was taken. If you wanted meat bad enough, you have a pretty good idea where you could go to and at least shoot a fawn. These little guys have ended up in my freezer many times in years when I haven't had much success.

This post wasn't intended to be turned into whether its OK to shoot fawns. I just feel that taking the doe away from her fawns too early is a kiss of death, in one form or another, for many fawns.

Edited by Cabin Fever

I just feel that taking the doe away from her fawns too early is a kiss of death, in one form or another, for many fawns.

Well, maybe "a kiss of death" is bit strongly worded. I have had a lot of situations where the fawn was the first of a group to spot me and react. Also it may be just a bit overstated as to how much of the survival stuff is "taught" as opposed to instinctive. Also, I have had a lot of fawns involved in my trailcam set-ups and have found that most of the time it is the fawns leading the does around. Watching does and fawns out in the yard, it is always the fawns that come out first with the doe following. So while there may be some things that the does teach the fawns I think that we don't give instinct enough credit. I also believe that taking the doe does not mean the fawns are doomed. Their survival is more a function of their instinct than guidance.

Also, in terms of whether to take fawns or not, I will stay with my attitude about all deer harvests (bucks included) .... Take whatever makes you satisfied. I'll never pick on anyone who has shot something that I wouldn't (unless I just plain want to give them a hard time about something .... lol).

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would not take a fawn or a doe with fawns, I use the doe with fawns as" live bait " for the rut bucks ! Single does are fair game.

Most fawns I see here in southwest NY still have spots . I hope hunters will not use this early bow season as a fawn season, but my gut tells me it just might.