send letters for crossbows in NY

I think a reasonable solution can be reached by extending archery season to oct 1, and giving the xbow a 2 or 3 week full inclusion within the season, allowing disabled full access with a xbow for the whole season. The ohio hunters i work with hunt with both or prefer a vertical bow over a crossbow but they don't see a difference between them, I still don't see or understand how a xbow impeeds on a vertical bowhunters experiance,i dont think i would even know they are in the woods. I still think the underlying setiment against the xbow is i don't want more people in the woods when i am bowhunting.... As i have yet to hear or see documentation as to the contrary.

^^^^ Crossbow pusher^^^^

Arrow,

I am really trying to understand the opposition you voice here. I know you said it is based on principal and that you don't feel that a crossbow is archery equipment. Is that any other reason you oppose the inclusion?

I think most of the guys you are labeling as "pushers" are simply asking those who oppose it to give a substantial reason. Maybe that it would drastically increase the deer take.....would put people in the woods that are not suitable for archery hunting.......would increas pressure and ruin the normal activity at that time of the year......just a reason.....back up by cases and fact. I don't know of any state that included them and then pulled them back out of the season due to the adverse effect it had on the season. There seems to be more instances that the inclusion works without adverse effects than the opposite view

The whole point of a forum is to discuss.. not accept and move on... this is nothing more than heated discussion.. and whether anyone admits it or not .. we all learn something during these arguments... even if it is just how ridiculous some points are... :D

Right but its the same thing over and over again, thats just me though. Again I am enjoying all of it.

Arrow, as for your comment "Crossbow pusher", I am a bowhunter i have taken numerous deer with bow, and would like to see an atatl season, i do not and will probably never own a crossbow having shot many different models and knowing my bow is a more effecient,longer ranged and more versitile weapon. I understand you feel xbows are just like your shotgun i even think you are the only one who doesn't want crossbows I am trying to have you state your case! i have read up on ,shot, and have personally experianced them and do not see a theat to my fellow archers and fully would like to see some elderly/disabled and women and Kids!! get involved with the sport of archery. Some Kids and Women cannot draw a vertical bow back of suffient weight to effectivly harvest game but are of age! Wouldn't you want them to have a choice to join those who enjoy the early bow season?? Crossbows allow this!! Obviously you don't see the big picture and imo just are concerned about more hunters entering the wood to take your game!

"It really doesn't seem like a big problem to come up with a solution passify any reasonable hunter with this crossbow topic"

I agree, it will require some changes but again those changes will be met with harsh words and fighting. Maybe DEC should treat it like a bandaid and just freakin do it, if it fails misserable, change again. Change is good, and if done right can last a long time before needed again.

A+---the world didn't fall apart when they opened up areas to rifle....allowed optics for ML...changed the definition of shotgun to allow rifled barrels....relaxed rifle caliber to allow smaller than .25 calliber...allowed sign over of Doe tags....went to a computerized licesne system.....welll that on I didn't like....I ust to look forward to seeing the stamp art and saved my old licenses...lol

The world wouldn't fall apasrt if we allowed baiting, hunting with dogs, poison pods, high fence, night hunting, or a variety of other things, either.

Should we enable all of that, too, since you are so interested in change?

High fence is legal already

I have a neighbor who can lift hay, wood and lumber but cannot draw a bow back past the breaking point, my nephew has the same problem (yes there are genisis bows) fact is a crossbow is a good step into archery i can sit and help my nephew aim and hold a crossbow how do i do that with a vertical?? He wants to shoot a vertical bow and some day he will (wants to be like his father and uncles). But untill that time he is unable to join the ranks of hunters or target shooters. There are more out there than you think? For those lucky enough to have a woman in their life who hunts or wants to hunt wouldn't it be nice to be able to sit with them help them aim/hold a xbow when the weather is warmer and they actuall would want to hunt. rather than in the cold and snow??  just sayin'

Arrow,

I am really trying to understand the opposition you voice here. I know you said it is based on principal and that you don't feel that a crossbow is archery equipment. Is that any other reason you oppose the inclusion?

I think most of the guys you are labeling as "pushers" are simply asking those who oppose it to give a substantial reason. Maybe that it would drastically increase the deer take.....would put people in the woods that are not suitable for archery hunting.......would increas pressure and ruin the normal activity at that time of the year......just a reason.....back up by cases and fact. I don't know of any state that included them and then pulled them back out of the season due to the adverse effect it had on the season. There seems to be more instances that the inclusion works without adverse effects than the opposite view

First of all, a slight correction.

I do think that a crossbow is archery equipment.  I do not agree it is the same as a bow.

Similarly, I understand that flintlocks, inlines, slug guns, and crenterfires are all firearms.

Yet...I do not feel that slug guns and centerfires belong in MZ seasons, nor do I think rifles should be allowed in a handgun season, nor do I think inlines should be allowed in a flintlock season.

You all keep asking the reason for my opposition, then when I give it, you dismiss it.

The repeated claims that anyone who opposes crossbows is just opposed to more hunters in the woods is false, and insulting.

I repeat ..... I am all for having more bowhunters in bowseason.  But I want them to be BOW hunters.

I have a neighbor who can lift hay, wood and lumber but cannot draw a bow back past the breaking point, my nephew has the same problem (yes there are genisis bows) fact is a crossbow is a good step into archery i can sit and help my nephew aim and hold a crossbow how do i do that with a vertical?? He wants to shoot a vertical bow and some day he will (wants to be like his father and uncles). But untill that time he is unable to join the ranks of hunters or target shooters. There are more out there than you think? For those lucky enough to have a woman in their life who hunts or wants to hunt wouldn't it be nice to be able to sit with them help them aim/hold a xbow when the weather is warmer and they actuall would want to hunt. rather than in the cold and snow??  just sayin'

How old is your nephew?

So if a seperate season was created oct 1-15 for crossbow was started you would not have a problem with it.....

I would have absolutely no problem with it.

I think they SHOULD create a separate crossbow season.  Crossbows are not inherently evil, and deserve their place in the hunting woods.

Crossbow pushers, on the other hand....they ARE inherently evil. ;D

My wife is a bowhunter, and ever her noodly arms can pull a bow back aim and hit a target (and deer). My son is 7 and can shoot a bow well too. It really isn't that hard to draw a lite poundage bow and work out the muscles, pretty quickly you can increase the poundage.

I do think that a crossbow is archery equipment.  I do not agree it is the same as a bow.

Similarly, I understand that flintlocks, inlines, slug guns, and crenterfires are all firearms.

Yet...I do not feel that slug guns and centerfires belong in MZ seasons, nor do I think rifles should be allowed in a handgun season, nor do I think inlines should be allowed in a flintlock season.

You all keep asking the reason for my opposition, then when I give it, you dismiss it.

The repeated claims that anyone who opposes crossbows is just opposed to more hunters in the woods is false, and insulting.

I repeat ..... I am all for having more bowhunters in bowseason.  But I want them to be BOW hunters.

I feel exactly the same way arrow...pretty simple logic behind this reasoning.

Well i am glad after 56 pages of posts your position is finally clear and concise! So a seperate season for crossbow no restrictions(not just disabled) is ok with you as long as bow season remains unchanged for vertical bow users(and from your earlier posts you would accept disabled hunters using crossbow as well in the "vertical" bow season).

Well i am glad after 56 pages of posts your position is finally clear and concise! So a seperate season for crossbow no restrictions(not just disabled) is ok with you as long as bow season remains unchanged for vertical bow users(and from your earlier posts you would accept disabled hunters using crossbow as well in the "vertical" bow season).

and aging hunters...say 60 or older in the bow season.

Yup...all that is fine by me.

and aging hunters...say 60 or older in the bow season.

Yup...all that is fine by me.

As long as we are al filling out our wish list (since it is mostly out of out immediate control...lol). Do you want the crossbow season prior to or after the regular bow season.