send letters for crossbows in NY

I really don't think a crossbow or any other new weapon will bring any new people to our sport. You're right Culv, there might be a few but not a huge amount. I also don't think handing some one a crossbow will automatically get them a deer, if they can't figure it out now with a bow or gun they won't figure it out with a crossbow either unless they learn that is. We will never see enough of a gain in new hunters to off set the loss of the hunters we are seeing now. They stop hunting or move out of NY or what ever reason, and there is s slim chance that any one of them is going to run out and rejoin the hunting community because of a crossbow.

Doe, there may be an initial increase for the ones that gotta try a new thing and buy into the hype about there effectiveness. themn there will be a declline...and really nice used ones for sale cheap...lol. I heard that happened in Ohio. I think the major influx would be from hunters who physically can't bow hunt due to disabilities.  And that proposed bill would encompass them. Will it bring new hunters in or some back....maybe a few back but chances are those folks are gun hunting and some would migrate back to bow hunting. I have one old hunting partner of ours that would be in those ranks because he has a condition that makes it so he can not tolerate the cold. he gets out very little gun hunting anymore....mostly up north early season. He would be able to participate is this was passed. so that is one...lol :)

Good comments by the two of you!

Care to back your claims up with links to the surveys?

I have been a hunter in NY for the majority of the last 20 years and have yet to be given a survey by the DEC on crossbows.

You go find them....I am busy.  They were done by Cornell in 2000 and 2005, if I remember correctly.

And who cares if you haven't got a survey...you think the world revolves around you?

If you are going to make a claim, back it up. The burden of proof is on you.

I made the comment that I have never been given a survey, so how can they come to an accurate count of the percentage of people that want them in bow season?

Thank you for further reinforcing how full of crap you are and how baseless your argument is.

Picture this,

The guy who can't use a regular bow grabs his crossbow and heads out.as usual~

He's late~in a hurry~still eating his McMuffin with one good hand his bow in the other.

Huffing and puffing he places his foot in the stir-up and as his belly rolls over the butt stock he gives a mighty tug.

Just about that time his back gives out, the one he threw out at work 20 years earlier as he was sneaking in the side door of work after his noon time liquid lunch. (But we all know it was the fall from his tree stand that caused it)

Now, here he is in all his glory bent over his bow, can't stand up & can't let go of the string. He slips his foot out figuring he can ease up on he tension...WHAM the bow comes up smacking him between the eyes. As he's lying on the ground, wallering around~ his cell phone rings some annoying ring tone so loud it can be heard up on Rt87.

AS the voice message plays , hey BOB where ya at? Were over on the east side of Miller's farm come on over we got em hanging.

Picture this,

The guy who can't use a regular bow grabs his crossbow and heads out.as usual~

He's late~in a hurry~still eating his McMuffin with one good hand his bow in the other.

Huffing and puffing he places his foot in the stir-up and as his belly rolls over the butt stock he gives a mighty tug.

Just about that time his back gives out, the one he threw out at work 20 years earlier as he was sneaking in the side door of work after his noon time liquid lunch. (But we all know it was the fall from his tree stand that caused it)

Now, here he is in all his glory bent over his bow, can't stand up & can't let go of the string. He slips his foot out figuring he can ease up on he tension...WHAM the bow comes up smacking him between the eyes. As he's lying on the ground, wallering around~ his cell phone rings some annoying ring tone so loud it can be heard up on Rt87.

AS the voice message plays , hey BOB where ya at? Were over on the east side of Miller's farm come on over we got em hanging.

this is the funniest thing i've read in any hunting forum in a long time....

Fact is it still takes the person to get close enough to the game, a 7mm rem will shoot to 500yrd very accuratly, a english longbow 250yards not that many or any of us coulds see or shhot that far accuratly, it doesn't matter the weapon used you still need to get close enough to your target, my neighbor devided to take up bow hunting over 10 years ago, he came over and the guys at camp were shooting and helped him out. He was in shock that we were shooting so close 20-30 yards as he wanted to shoot his bow 50-60 or more yards. We got him sighted in for 20 and 30. needless to say he tried it for a year or 2 and gave up couldn't get deer that close to him, tried a few further shots and the arrow was in the ground well before the deer. Its the same with a crossbow the range is the same as a compound bow. Not many of us will take a 50yd shot with a bow but i know a lot of 3d shooters that consistantly shoot that far on the range but never approach that while hunting. If you have never shot a crossbow you are in for a rude awakining, those bolts drop like rocks, yes they have a scope but so do bows if you choose to install the bow models. I think the concern i hear is about more hunters comming into archery season period and untill those that really feel that way admit it , the crossbow will be their crutch.....

Its the same with a crossbow the range is the same as a compound bow. Not many of us will take a 50yd shot with a bow but i know a lot of 3d shooters that consistantly shoot that far on the range but never approach that while hunting.

Wheel guns, flintlocks, and even smoothbore shotguns share a similar range.  Should we allow these into bowseason, too?

Obviously, there must be more to the decision than range alone.

If you have never shot a crossbow you are in for a rude awakining, those bolts drop like rocks,

Blatant misinformation.  Physics dictates that heavier projectiles, launched at equivalent (or higher) velocity, will maintain their velocity preferentially over lighter projectiles.

Blatant misinformation.  Physics dictates that heavier projectiles, launched at equivalent (or higher) velocity, will maintain their velocity preferentially over lighter projectiles.

Now I think you better check ballistics to back that up. A lighter projectile will be faster down range. the heavier one will retain more energy but will be slower

Its the same with a crossbow the range is the same as a compound bow. Not many of us will take a 50yd shot with a bow but i know a lot of 3d shooters that consistantly shoot that far on the range but never approach that while hunting.

Wheel guns, flintlocks, and even smoothbore shotguns share a similar range.  Should we allow these into bowseason, too?

If you have never shot a crossbow you are in for a rude awakining, those bolts drop like rocks,

your average crossbow arrow weights in at 425 grains, Excalibur crossbows even less, so what blatant misinformation other than your own are you refering to :D

I have to agree with G-man on this one. I know what these things do from years of hunting experience.

The bolt's have the flight path of a stone. The velocity starts out great, but, falls off very quickly.

I personally will not shoot over 30-35 yards.

No - because guns use GUNPOWDER for power..

Bows use limbs and a string for power.

Think someone claiming to be the savior of bowhunting would know that. ;D

Now I think you better check ballistics to back that up. A lighter projectile will be faster down range. the heavier one will retain more energy but will be slower

No.

If the two different weight projectiles are launched at the same velocity the lighter one sheds its velocity more quickly.

If we were to shoot a light arrow and a heavy arrow from the same bow, the light arrow would be launched at a higher velocity....but that is not what we are talking about here.

Ah I so bummed, I'm at work as well. :'(

Even worse was I just read that my ML rifles are only capable of shooting 50 yards tops. :-X

And here I spent all that association's money on 100 and 200 yard targets. :D

Maybe I can sell them to the handcannon and centerfire guys~

No - because guns use GUNPOWDER for power..

Bows use limbs and a string for power.

Think someone claiming to be the savior of bowhunting would know that. ;D

OH....so it is only method of propulsion that matters?  It has nothing to do with range?

How then would you explain a separate season for MZ and rifles?  They both share gunpowder as the method for propulsion, yet we exclude rifles from MZ season.

No.

If the two different weight projectiles are launched at the same velocity the lighter one sheds its velocity more quickly.

If we were to shoot a light arrow and a heavy arrow from the same bow, the light arrow would be launched at a higher velocity....but that is not what we are talking about here.

let's make this simple.....pull up a ballistic chart for your 44RM. look at a heavy bullet and a lighter one  with the same or close muzzle velocity, then check the down range ballistics