Governor requesting Compromise on Crossbow Bill

SteveMcD

Good one Mikey. Keep that old "gun hunters hate bowhunters" thing going. There is a lot more of that going on than even you realize, and I'm glad you are posting to advertise that mindset. People should understand that there are some of you guys that love to take PETA's work and continue it where they leave off when it comes to bowhunters. Your doing a fine job.

Doc, I don't see it that way.

I see elitist bowhunters looking down their nose at gun hunters and kid's pontificating as to why there should be no youth season, no crossbows and even a shorter gun season.

I do have a bow license but I choose not to bow hunt but rather save my limited time off to gun hunt. I am also a avid turkey hunter and as of late have gotten the bear itch.

I don't think you guys know how you come off. But on this site and many of the other gun/hunting boards you have come off with an elitist attitude that only bowhunters are real hunters and you should get more time in the woods and unlimited tags.

All the time using compound bows, range finders, trigger release, climbing stands, sent cover, camo, illuminated sights, even scopes while claiming it is a primitive hunt.

You must be kidding me!

Doc, I agree it is tiresome. I hear all of this crap all the time and it is very tiresome. I just have a different prespective.

Enjoy your time in the woods.

Mike.

I agree with earlier statements about lowering the age for young hunters. I was the least interested in hunting in my entire life at that age. It continued right through college which i almost regret. I had priorities ... Get them started young before the hormones take over. Let parents decide when their kid is old enough.

• Like 1

What happens when the coddled kids that hunt the " special youth season " , become adults and wake up to the realization that they can no longer hunt in October when it was warmer weather and not a lot of gun hunters weren't out there ? They find out that the special season was a big lie and it's cold during the real gun season . Are they really going to stick with it ?

Get them started hunting small game and varmints . There are a lot of farmers that would appreciate someone shooting their woodchucks . This would get a foot in the door for possible deer hunting property . Take them rabbit and squirrel hunting . Eventually graduate them into deer hunting .

And once again , the Youth Hunt will not affect me . It could possibly be an advantage when little BillyBob gets fidgity , bored , starts moving around and makes noise .

• Like 1

I can't say I am a big supporter of this youth hunt. I am not much of a bowhunter either, before someone accuses me of being a selfish bowhunter who doesn't want anyone else hunting in his season. I just don't see a youth hunt being very beneficial. Isn't it better just to have a kid tag along with an older hunter before he is of legal age to hunt? The kid would get way MORE out of observing how others go about hunting for a few seasons instead of sticking a gun in his hands and having them hunt in a season that is NOT representative of what hunting typically is like during a regular season. If they tag along for few seasons, by the time they are of legal age they will be more than ready to take part in a regular without nearly as much supervision as those kids who will be hunting the youth season, many of whom will be in the woods for the very first time.

I can't say I am a big supporter of this youth hunt. I am not much of a bowhunter either, before someone accuses me of being a selfish bowhunter who doesn't want anyone else hunting in his season. I just don't see a youth hunt being very beneficial. Isn't it better just to have a kid tag along with an older hunter before he is of legal age to hunt? The kid would get way MORE out of observing how others go about hunting for a few seasons instead of sticking a gun in his hands and having them hunt in a season that is NOT representative of what hunting typically is like during a regular season. If they tag along for few seasons, by the time they are of legal age they will be more than ready to take part in a regular without nearly as much supervision as those kids who will be hunting the youth season, many of whom will be in the woods for the very first time.

I agree, I don't know that a speacial season will have a major impact but I don't think it would hurt things either, if you don't want youth's hunting with you, don't allow them on your land.

Beach, the point of putting the youth season so early is the nice weather. Whens the last time we had snow or cold on Columbus Day weekend? Plus taking more rut time away from bow hunters really isnt good.

No, I didnt mean ending the bow hunt early. I just meant, if you move the bow hunt up 2 weeks, then allow the last 2 weeks before gun to be the youth season AND still bow season. Also, doing it for the nice weather? Our kids are so goddamn spoiled today. I am 36 and dread what my young kids will be like in 20 years the way this world is going. When I was a weee little chap, my father bundled me up, put me in a tree stand with him and told me to shuttup and stop shaking...lmao. I appreciate the fact that he exposed me to all kids of situations when i was a kid. Its called diversity. Kids today already have a silver spoon in their mouths and have a sense of entitlement. its crazy.

I love the "You bow hunters....."...It's Classic lol...

I remember being just a gun hunter thinking dang those bow hunters get the brakes...hunting when the deer are calm and getting to see buck...THEN I GOT OF MY ASS AND GOT BOW CERTIFIED...problem solved...put in the work and reap the benefits

By the way The Oct 1 opener can't be the compromise...It's all ready set to happen...unless they really want to screw things up...it's in the booklets all ready...So you need to come up with a different one Mike........

Agree. I was a gun hunter my whole life and admittedly was jealous of the bow season being first. 3 years ago i went and got my bow certificate, bought a bow and started shooting. I LOVE the bow season now!! Probably my favorite time of year.

I am not joking when I say this:

I honestly believe me hunting on the ground with a crossbow is "more primitive" than somebody sitting in a treestand with a compound bow. If you compound bow hunters want to be considered "primitive hunters", then use a traditional bow and arrow, and if you want to hunt from trees, then climb up them and sit there (without a harness or tree stand).

for more years than I can sometimes fathom I and my friends for many decades have hunted squirrels, grouse, woodcock and bears as well as many other furbearers with and without our hounds all throughout deer seasons and we also took many many deer during that same time period, they have their home area and do not move to florida when disturbed, how many times along our highways do you see deer feeding placidly while millions of cars and trucks fly by them.

I like the crossbow idea but the price tags and their awful weight are my reasons for passing on one at this late date in my hunting life.

the coffee house is bitter cold today so I am gone now that the coffee is. have a wonderful day. Bill

Some of us see that as an advantage, not a disadvantage. Also, I know quite a few guys these days who are opting for the muzzle loader over the shotgun because of range and accuracy.

Im one of them Doc, your preaching to the choir.

Although, not having a quick follow up shot IS a disadvantage. I just like it that way.

As for the gun / bow controversy , I prefer to bow hunt but since the bow hunters get the extra 2 weeks up front to hunt , I think it would be fair to take the last week of bow season and add it to the gun season . Give the gun hunters an extra week .

That would make almost 6 weeks of gun season. Do you still want to have a herd to hunt?

That would make almost 6 weeks of gun season. Do you still want to have a herd to hunt?

Another week for gun? Acccccccccccccccck.

I love gun hunting, but really, gun hunting it the major contributor to the poor quality hunting in this state compared to others with similar soils and habitat.

Move gun to a 9 day season, starting the Monday after T-day, and the hunting would dramatically improve.

Adding more gun time? Before the current opener? Talk about a doomsday scenario...bucks in peak rut with the orange army? Wow, just wow.

Edited by phade

I love gun hunting, but really, gun hunting it the major contributor to the poor quality hunting in this state compared to others with similar soils and habitat.

Move gun to a 9 day season, starting the Monday after T-day, and the hunting would dramatically improve.

Adding more gun time? Before the current opener? Talk about a doomsday scenario...bucks in peak rut with the orange army? Wow, just wow.

How to you propose they control herd numbers when they cut gun season in this scenario? I know 85% are taken opening weekend but guns take care of a massive amount of deer for NYS total.

lets not forget the deer that are killed in both seasons and not reported...recovered...I know several guys that just keep shooting till they finally get one...in fact...I was just looking over the many scattered bones form last years...I shot a doe....another one...I got to sight my gun in ...I though it was......four that I know of from just one guy...

lets not forget the deer that are killed in both seasons and not reported......

Those not reported are figured into that total take number, so in essence they don't matter in reference to the big number. I would wonder if the one's not recovered are counted as part of the loss number thrown in with car accidents and natural deaths and so on. But still how many do think would it be state wide? Can't be that huge a number compared to the total deer take.

The main numbers should be starting amount of deer and projected end amount of deer, how the deer die's doesn't matter in that number.

I mule deer hunt in UT every other year (how often you can draw a tag) with my brother-in-law. They have a 8 day muzzeloader and 8 day rifle season. Thats it! The quality of animals is much better than other states I have hunted that have longer seasons. Given the fact that 95% of all NY hunters hunt opening weekend and then thats it, the argument is a moot point as to total deer taken. I bet a 8 day or 9 day hunt wouldn't efffect the numbers but 1 or 2% tops. That then gets inot a different argument of "quality of deer" vs just putting meat in the freezer which I am not about to get into...lol.