Looks like the Columbus Day Youth season is on!

Buckstopshere

Sit in a field with a shotgun or rifle and it will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I wouldnt go that far. Easier to pattern, sure. Fish in a barrel, No.

As far as some bad eggs taking deer themselves, etc etc. You are always going to have that stuff happen no matter what the laws are. Thank goodness those people are a very small minority.

Doc, bow seaon was only extended this year in southern zone, so this hunt would of happened weekend before bow, be happy they extended bow at all.... I would of been happy to see bow stay the same and youth hunt go on anyway. so using your logic Why would they stick bow season both sides of a youth gun season??

Yes, which came first, the chicken or the egg. Either way you choose to look at it, it was a flat out dumb move. Sorry, but there is simply no kinder way of putting it.

The way I see it, they took time away from bowhunters when they went to the Saturday opener. They simply were giving it back plus a bit more. That was payback. Unfortunately they took away some prime time and gave us back some crap. I have no reason to be happy about the "give-back" yet. I was ok with the way it was, and it is yet to be seen how enjoyable this warmer, potentially bug-infested, leaf-clogged, early start really turns out to be. But apparently there are a whole lot of bowhunters that think it's some kind of wonderful thing. I'll be able to say more about that when I have sampled a bit of it. But right now it is a bit premature to say what "I should be happy about".

• Like 1

Doc, weve gone round and round about this, it boils down to this. Just because YOU dont think the reasons are good or make sense, doenst mean that they dont ACTUALLY make sense. Again, the same template has and is working in other states.

And simply because you keep repeating that it is working in other states doesn't make it so. Yes, they do successfully hold youth gun hunts. If that is your measure of success then I will grant that you can force anything to happen even if it is an insignificant meaningless act and call it a success based on that. And if it makes you feel good, then that is about as much as you can expect. Maybe that makes it a success in your mind. Sorry, but I am looking for something that actually makes a difference in the hunter bottom line numbers. And last time I heard those numbers nationally were still going down even in all those states that hold special youth hunts.

Couple good articles.

I woul dlike to point Doc and Eddie to Fig 5 on Page 4 of the second link and point out they are really screwing with the North East's average...lol

http://thinkingafield.org/2012/08/new-growth-in-hunting-fishing-participation.html

http://www.nssf.org/PDF/HuntingLicTrends-NatlRpt.pdf

If you don't like it do participate, youth season or earlier bow opener. Just go out on the old opening date. The youth season will not be the end all be all but it is not likely to negatively impact any one's hunting either. Kinda like crossbows...opps lol

Of course the youth season will not impact anyone's bowhunt. At 8000 participants statewide, it will pretty much be a non-event.

As far as whether I use the new "replaced" days or not, your right. Just like any hunting days, I will use or not use them at my discretion. And your point is? That's the way it has always been with decisions made as to whether weather conditions were not suitable or not. This is no different except the replaced days are more likely to be unsuitable as I pointed out above. It is still true that we got screwed out of days that were more likely to be suitable to any kind of deer hunting and given back days when conditions will likely be a bit more difficult. The actual context of my comments that you chose to ignore related to the statement made that I should feel "happy" that we got those additional days of hunting. I don't have to feel "happy" about having good hunting days removed and replaced with summer-like days. If you are happy about that, I'm happy for you..... lol.

If we can believe the second link, which I belive was the basis for hte article linked first, there is over 30% + license possibilities that could participate each year. THese are people that do not buy a license every year. many do it just 1 out of 5 years. Preety good pool to draw from if it is done rigth. They also discuss the national increas in hunter numbers since 2006 and one of the factors contributing to it is youth opportunities.

I think some guys are going to out and grab any 14-15 year old they know and take them or just their license and use it to fill a tag on a big buck. Deer are most vulenerable right now because of summer patterns. Sit in a field with a shotgun or rifle and it will be like shooting fish in a barrel. You will see some big bucks taken during that weekend, especaily if the weather cools down some. NYS wanted the money from this now (license sales) and will use it in the future to thier advantage(crossbow season), bowhunters better stay aware!

Welcome Mr. NYB

Heck of a first post!!

• Like 1

Of course the youth season will not impact anyone's bowhunt. At 8000 participants statewide, it will pretty much be a non-event.

Then why do you always make such a big stink over it? As you said before the time to let the DEC know how you feel is over.

As far as "summer like days", sure there are some warm days but not all of them will be warm, we have been hunting in the "summer like days" for years in the Northern Zone just fine.

And simply because you keep repeating that it is working in other states doesn't make it so. Yes, they do successfully hold youth gun hunts. If that is your measure of success then I will grant that you can force anything to happen even if it is an insignificant meaningless act and call it a success based on that. And if it makes you feel good, then that is about as much as you can expect. Maybe that makes it a success in your mind. Sorry, but I am looking for something that actually makes a difference in the hunter bottom line numbers. And last time I heard those numbers nationally were still going down even in all those states that hold special youth hunts.

It is working in other states. Thats not just something I made up. Participation has been pretty good in the other states, and getting kids in the woods is the main objective, so Id call it a success.

Like Ive said before, I do think there are other things that would make more of a difference, but I see this as a step in the right direction.

Keep those blinders on all you want, makes no difference to me and the rest of the hunting world thats passing you by.

Couple good articles.

I woul dlike to point Doc and Eddie to Fig 5 on Page 4 of the second link and point out they are really screwing with the North East's average...lol

http://thinkingafiel...ticipation.html

http://www.nssf.org/...nds-NatlRpt.pdf

Interesting articles. They really get into the demographics, but were not too specific on the hunter population trends other than that they still agree that the hunter population is continuing to age. They definitely massage the data don't they?

Interesting articles. They really get into the demographics, but were not too specific on the hunter population trends other than that they still agree that the hunter population is continuing to age. They definitely massage the data don't they?

I didnt have time to dive in further but since NY was one of the group of states I was trying to find the actual numbers in an age reange showing increases..or not

Then why do you always make such a big stink over it? As you said before the time to let the DEC know how you feel is over.

As far as "summer like days", sure there are some warm days but not all of them will be warm, we have been hunting in the "summer like days" for years in the Northern Zone just fine.

My God man, do you ever read my posts at all? No, I am not going to repeat it all again just because some decide to read only a line or two. In fact no less that adozen times I have described in painful detail what my objections are to this feel-good window-dressing activity are. For crying out loud ..... look it up!

Frankly, I don't really care what people have forced themselves to do whether they hunt the Northern Zone or the Southern Zone or some other state. I'm telling you that I simply don't care to hunt with sweat running down my back and mosquitoes banging into my face and a short time clock on recovering downed game. If you have come to love that sort of thing, good for you. Some how I suspect I'm not alone in that.

• Like 1

It is working in other states. Thats not just something I made up. Participation has been pretty good in the other states, and getting kids in the woods is the main objective, so Id call it a success.

Like Ive said before, I do think there are other things that would make more of a difference, but I see this as a step in the right direction.

Keep those blinders on all you want, makes no difference to me and the rest of the hunting world thats passing you by.

I don't think you have a clue as to other more meaningful things that will make a significant difference because (speaking of blinders) you are 100% invested in this feel-good scheme and haven't spent a single additional moment thinking about any other solutions. It takes somebody such as myself to look beyond the flaws of current thinking to invest the effort of innovation. Unfortunately your situation is the same as the DEC with committment to only one plan and absolutely no plan B's. You have grabbed on to this one insignificant plan and just like the DEC are falsely feeling fine about having solved the recruitment problem. I personally don't go for concessions. I would hold the DEC's feet to the fire until they come up with real significant plans. You apparently are easier satisfied.

No I don't bother because you repeat everything 100 times in every thread but never choose to change your opinion even slightly on any given topic. We all get it, you don't like youth seasons and crossbows or any other changes.

You don't get anything. And for somebody complaining about my repeating things you definitely must have some kind of comprehension problem because seem to be asking questions and making statements that show you haven't got a clue about anything that I have repeated over and over for you. I can't repeat it any more for you. I can't make it any clearer.

I don't think you have a clue as to other more meaningful things that will make a significant difference because (speaking of blinders) you are 100% invested in this feel-good scheme and haven't spent a single additional moment thinking about any other solutions. It takes somebody such as myself to look beyond the flaws of current thinking to invest the effort of innovation. Unfortunately your situation is the same as the DEC with committment to only one plan and absolutely no plan B's. You have grabbed on to this one insignificant plan and just like the DEC are falsely feeling fine about having solved the recruitment problem. I personally don't go for concessions. I would hold the DEC's feet to the fire until they come up with real significant plans. You apparently are easier satisfied.

I havent Doc? How about you take your own advice and go back and look up what Ive already said? Yes, I stand behind this plan, its a proven winner. I have no illusions of it being THE answer to recruiatment problems, but, like I have said many times before, its one of the many changes it will take to ultimately turn things around.

Feel free to call me a liar and tell me what I really think though.

Syracuse.com artical, Good Job John Marino, I'm standing right behind you 110% Wake the heck up NYS DEC

And leave well enough alone. We don't need more bullets flying during Bow Season! WTF

And I second the motion BIG TIME!.

Edited by CAM-O

And here I am...I've been called a lot worse things than a fool. :girlcrazy:

I think we take a lot of this rule/season changing...like this new "Yute Season", as a negative thing because we hate change. We love our traditions and hate to see things change...but I think as hunters we need to embrace change...we always have, and welcome youth into this evolving sport. I am an old guy. I have seen/lived/experienced tremendous change. From my recurves and long bows to compounds.

All things considered...is the Yute Hunt perfect? Heck no! Would every one of us do it differently? Of course! But from that 8-mile high level...we need to get youths in the woods and enjoying nature, participate in that life-altering experince... Let nature and the hunt work on them like it did to all of us...will there be collateral damage? Absolutely. Will people take advantage and poach? Yes. So? We've always had to deal with that element.

But let's clean it up and fine tune the Yute Hunt as we always have.

In the big picture...that 8,000 number could exponentially grown. We have to pull together and support this Youth Season primarily so we don't give the wrong message to "the yutes."

The time for parsing and sniping is over. The first-ever New York State Youth Deer Hunt is on and let's each and every one of us make sure that we support the Future of Hunting.

Look, there is nobody that loves his quiet time in the woods bow hunting...than me.

• Like 4