Looks like the Columbus Day Youth season is on!

Buckstopshere

They would have to change the dates that the licenes run and make it retroactive and change the NZ dates around. Plus thats not a 3 day weekend for every kid in the state.

Not debating it, I just feel It could of been handled better. Don't get me wrong I'm in favor of it and will let oldest one have a crack at it in a year. Yes the three day weekend is nice for the kids.

This is BS, I used to have the first two weeks of October to hunt turkey, now they go and put bow season into MY time...guess I should be careful because a bowhunter, or worse yet, a youth hunter, may stick an arrow into me...sound familiar?

Youths with guns is the topic and dependin what zone you hunt this youth weekend wont effect your turkey hunting. And bowhunters could say your turkey hunting affects their deer hunting...guys walking around calling and possiably shooting a shotgun.

Entertaining post to say the least,lol. I have nothing constructive to add.

Just curious....., has anyone heard the special season dates yet for the following...

-gays and lesbians

-blacks

-senior citizens

-Arabs

-Pollocks ( :bye:)

Why are you a gay black polish senior citizen married to a arab lesbian? :fie:

Oh grow on the offensive. I like that So I guess since I am a nurse, I did not know what affliction means? I do not see how that word is appropriate since there is no illness associated with bo, but ok keep trying to use those big words. And the old I will type slow and leave spaces is really kind of lame too. My simple point was almost everyone on here has been singing the praises of mandatory blaze orange for a while now. Then when there comes a situation where they can use it as an excuse to stop something they do not want, they complain about having to wear it. I am sure the point went right over your head, as most do. Now go think up another tale to woe us with. Now if I were you, I would refrain from getting into a battle of wits, because at best you are bringing a knife to a gun fight, but I am sure you are totally unarmed. Oh and just to be clear, I never brought up BO in this thread until others started whining about having tt wear it with all the kids shooting at them. SO NOW HAVE A NICE DAY.

Edited by bubba

Oh grow on the offensive. I like that So I guess since I am a nurse, I did not know what affliction means? I do not see how that word is appropriate since there is no illness associated with bo, but ok keep trying to use those big words. And the old I will type slow and leave spaces is really kind of lame too. My simple point was almost everyone on here has been singing the praises of mandatory blaze orange for a while now. Then when there comes a situation where they can use it as an excuse to stop something they do not want, they complain about having to wear it. I am sure the point went right over your head, as most do. Now go think up another tale to woe us with. Now if I were you, I would refrain from getting into a battle of wits, because at best you are bringing a knife to a gun fight, but I am sure you are totally unarmed. Oh and just to be clear, I never brought up BO in this thread until others started whining about having tt wear it with all the kids shooting at them. SO NOW HAVE A NICE DAY.

I don't see many bitching about wearing a bit of BO. It's the smart thing to do. It saves lives and if you that worried about it spoking deer wear the breakup pattern. deer see orange as a gray, if it's solid orange well, they see a big grey area. If you think about set-ups this early season, bowhunters will be around the edges of fields and food plots up in trees. If I were taking a kid out we would set up in a blind overlooking these food plots, probably looking at the same area the bowhunter would be in. Be safe and sensible out there. Try to know who is hunting in the same area.

I don't see many bitching about wearing a bit of BO. It's the smart thing to do. It saves lives and if you that worried about it spoking deer wear the breakup pattern. deer see orange as a gray, if it's solid orange well, they see a big grey area. If you think about set-ups this early season, bowhunters will be around the edges of fields and food plots up in trees. If I were taking a kid out we would set up in a blind overlooking these food plots, probably looking at the same area the bowhunter would be in. Be safe and sensible out there. Try to know who is hunting in the same area.

Not to turn this into a blaze orange thread (perhaps others already have), but in case there is any confusion, anytime there is anyone gun hunting for deer, I will be wearing a very significant amount of blaze orange regardless of what ever else I am doing. That would include bow hunting, or cutting firewood, or any other activity in areas where such gun deer hunting might be taking place. In my case that includes waking down my driveway to get the mail. It seems to be the intelligent thing to do, and I do value my hide a bit more than I worry about some kind of fashion statement. And I also will say that if I feel that I do not have the appropriate BO garment for the situation, I simply will stay home.

try this one more time....

I do not see how that word is appropriate since there is no illness associated with bo, but ok keep trying to use those big words.
World English Dictionary affliction (əˈflɪkʃən) — n 1. a condition of great distress, pain, or suffering 2.

something responsible for physical or mental suffering, such as a disease, grief, etc

This is something you exhibit every time mandatory Blaze comes close to a discussion

Now perhaps you should not have made a snide remark about my "use of big words" when ....Wait for it...Being a NURSE as YOU mentioned...should have been trained in reading and comprehending important Doctor instructions...just saying

..Now this all could have been avoided...had you just said ..."perhaps your right...I should not lump all hunters who want blaze into the same category in my statement"...

But your statement was so long ago who the hell would even remember...I'm done playing with you...geezzz

Edited by growalot

I doubt that Actually as a nurse practitioner, I have others read and comprehend my orders. But I am sure all that is over your head. And I would also like to see where I lumped all hunters together. Bottom line is the hunt is on so make the best of it. And if you could comprehend, you would be able to understand I never said I do not wear orange I do not believe it should be mandatory. So Dr. Grow where would my affliction be? Please enlighten me.

Edited by bubba

Hahaha...Swear to God you make me laugh...just keep adding stuff that wasn't there

Your a funny guy.....hahahaha.....

ooppps forgot...

I swore that was what just about everyone wanted in the past was mandatory blaze orange. What a bunch of hypocrites.
Edited by growalot

hey as it says ABOUT everyone not everyone. It is your interpretation that is off I am guessing due to a guilty conscience. I thought you were done with me. If you go back and look at the bo threads, you will see that ABOUT everyone wants it to be mandatory. So please feel free to get the last word ok. I can not continue to play with you. it is getting boring. Besides as an instructor I better not say what I really think.

Edited by bubba

Ok my turn! I am totally against the youth gun hunt. I am against all the youth hunts actually. And I am a father. I have been hunting a long time and started at the young age of 14 with my father. He taught me the way of the woods and how to be a true sportsmen. I looked forward to all those times and it was a honor and privilage to hunt with him and all the older crowd. There was no special treatments or oppurtunities I had to learn to hang and act like an adult, be respectful and listen to what they told me to do. It seems to me with youth hunts such as this one it only shows how spoiled todays youth can be by giving them special privilages as if they deserved it cause they are kids. Our role as mentors to our youth about hunting should be proper sportsmenship and understanding of the outdoors. But on the same token we should be mentoring them on the facts of life and how we do not get special privilages just because. Now I know this may seem a bit harsh and will probably get alot of negative comments but it is how I feel. Like I said I am a father. My child is much to young to hunt but someday she may if she chooses and I will Mentor her like my father did to me. Now I know what's done is done and we have had a special youth hunt for waterfowl, turkey and pheasants for years now and it was only a matter of time before deer would follow. Could New York State and DEC come up with a better date? Oct 1st bow hunt, 1st time ever good portion of the state is allowed to hunt 2 weeks earlier then normal. Now Oct 1st falls on a Monday, some of us will get out for the opener but majority will be out the 1st Saturday. Now guys will be in full camo and since its still early October trees and brush will still have full cover making it very difficult to see. Now your putting a firearm in the hands of a unexperienced youth. Regardless if the adult is right along side of them the youth is still the one pulling the trigger. And in a lot of regions some of these kids will be using high powered rifles. No where does it state in 2012-13 guide or even on the website to stay out of the woods, nor does it say for the rest of bow hunters wear manditory blaze orange! I just dont get it sorry just my opinion. I personally feel that if indeed a youth deer hunt is necessary then why not the Saturday and Sunday the gun opener is now, close bow hunting that weekend and bring back the Monday opener for the rest!! Makes sense to me :spiteful:

very well put i agree 100% why are we having a youth hunt for these 14 and 15 year old any ways when these same kids will be out gun hunting with us in november why cant they wait. they are going to get such a false sense of hunting when they go into the woods on columbus weekend and they are hunting deer that are just in their normal routine then in november when they are hunting and the deer are running scared for their lives. i also have a young son he wont be old enough to hunt for many more years but i hope he gets to learn the same way i did go out with the older guys feel like and adult and learn how to hunt deer with the bow during bow season and the gun during gun season.
  • Like 1