Looks like the Columbus Day Youth season is on!

Buckstopshere

Well now that you've said that guys ...why don't you finish those statements with how the after kill process is done...because I've talked to many many southern hunters and the processors down there are a whole world of difference than up North...try taking a deer that's NOT been GUTTED to a processor in NYS

You must know different people than I do. Everyone I know down in SC, VA, MD and FL all gut a deer just like we do. Ice is still made by chilling water and the blood in the pick up boxes still gets washed out...lol.

Well now that you've said that guys ...why don't you finish those statements with how the after kill process is done...because I've talked to many many southern hunters and the processors down there are a whole world of difference than up North...try taking a deer that's NOT been GUTTED to a processor in NYS

So now you are against it because you don't think hunters know how to process a deer after the kill when it might possibly be warm? Sounds like a valid reason. :rolleyes:

Bubba try not grouping all hunters that want blaze orange in the same sentence...I know you have some affliction to blaze.....I personally don't and will have some on.......as far as the cross bow comment...that brings up a good point...If this is a youth gun opener...and cross bows are allowed in deer gun only...why wouldn't it be legal for kids to be using crossbows?...is it stated that they can't?

Cross bow would be a legal implement during the youth hunt becasue it is grouped with the firearms currently. as would a ML

Doewhacker ...reading comprehension...try practicing that will ya...

What if it snows? Will you be against it then because snow is cold and or wet and the kid might slip and fall and touch dirt?

Some guys here can pull off being a smart ass....You...not so much

Doewhacker ...reading comprehension...try practicing that will ya...

Some guys here can pull off being a smart ass....You...not so much

You want to go there Grow? You are a freaking drama queen that needs to have her head examined. Seriously, you have more stories than any one on the planet and can find a reason to be against any thing because you might get shot and killed or some other strange BS like in this thread. You are against a youth hunt because how you perceive a deer might be processed after the kill, you really think that is a great reason to be against something?

YOU DON'T HAVE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE YOUTH SEASON!!! Stay inside and hide in your bunker.

Anyways back to the point its the way this kids will be "mentored" that bothers me...human nature ....If that is a warm weekend all these kids will learn is to shoot a deer...not any of the stuff that goes with i......t nor I dare say the respect and reverence that should be the biggest thing.... after a clean a shot as possible...because there will be a rush to clean and get the deer cooled down...Now it will take a kid a whole lot longer to learn how to properly clean a deer than one will have on a warm day period...and it will stress everyone out ..THAT IS human nature like it or not....Now I have killed plenty of deer on warm Oct. days...It's stressful...It's fly ridden the minute you open them....what??? you ppl live in an area where flies migrate? please...and I'd bet even dollars there will be a whole bunch of ppl out there that never checked on where to find a processor open....I think the kids deserve a better first time hunt EXPERIENCE...not just a kill and pics

Your entire ramble and dot fest was based on a what if its warm scenario. So apparently kids cannot get hunting and EXPERIENCE any thing if the temp is to high. So what temp is acceptable to bring a youth hunting, I really want to know the answer to this.

Edited by Doewhacker

LOL still not reading and comprehending I see...

.I being such a selfish bow hunter...suggested they give them the weekend before gun opener

Naw, WNBH...waste of time....He can get another brain storm of insults in and have the last say...though I'll admit...my posts have wormed there way into his brain..love it :D

Usually $10 to $20 extra for them to gut one for you. It depends on the situation as to whether I gut mine or not. If I'm in an area where the bugs aren't too bad, I gut 'em. If I'm in the woods, out of the wind, the bugs are thick, and/or I need to drag a deer across a creek or muddy terrain, I may not gut it. Also depends on how long of a drag I have to make. Getting that extra 30-40 pounds out can make a drag much easier. I was taught that it's best to get one gutted and get the meat cooling ASAP, but sometimes it can be to your advantage to wait.
I have close access (all within 40 miles) to (5) Processor's (3) will Gut for $15 additional Charge (1) must be field dressed and (1) must be skin and quartered... To me the best meat is the one that is cooled down the quickest and often if I have time I will Gut it open up chest (Don't keep it in beaming sunlight for the Flies to lay eggs) I will pack with ice bags and cover then off to the processor to hang in the cooler.

I have shot and hauled one deer to the processor because I must be at work 1 1/2 hours when I shot the Doe and didn't have the time to Gut.

I have one processor that will take Feral Hog's but they must be Shot and Gutted within 4 hours of showing up at the processor...

I always remove the guts before I take it to the processor. They will gut it for an additional fee. During warm weather I waste no time in getting my harvest from the field to the cooler.

Notice the reoccurring theme of rushing to do it as fast as possible ....just saying...knowing kids...it's not going to be the funnest lasting memory you all may think

Notice the reoccurring theme of rushing to do it as fast as possible ....just saying...knowing kids...it's not going to be the funnest lasting memory you all may think

Why because they have to learn how to gut a deer in warmer weather? If thats not part of the experience that what in the hell is. You do remember bow starts Oct1 right? You do know that kids already do this across the united states already right? Like I said before its called using your brain. Be prepared and teach the kids how to do things ahead of time would be a big bonus. You people are making this out to be way more dramatic than it actually is going to be. Again NY is not the first state to do any of this stuff, we are way behind in that category.

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 3