Live From the Stand 2012

WNYBuckHunter

I just had the strangest damn experience ever hunting....let me tell you...that's saying A LOT

At 4:15 I decide to standup in my stand...so I could see all around me..it's a ladder stand against a large maple....I turn my head and a doe had snuck up to 15yrds of me and I had not heard her....she spooked and went the whole nine yards but never left...instead she started circling me...Now Every muscle is locked up...and she will not take her eyes off of me...spooked once behind me...but kept coming...I see she's 2ft from the stand and going in front of it...still spooky and looking all around and glancing up....

Next thing I know she's facing the ladder and head butts it!!!...the darn thing shook and I'm trying to keep my balance...she then gets a long side of it and is pushing the ladder with her side...like a cow rubbing a fence...I nearly yelled at her....I'm getting sore and.... tired left the building....This very big doe with huge wht circles around her eyes decides the front wasn't good enough and walks behind the ladder and starts pushing out...WTH!!....I had to bend and lean back not to topple off that little 12x18 inch platform....by the time shes done and so slowly walks away it is 5 :20 and dark as all get out...

I think I may have made a secret weapon...more on that in another thread...

lol yeah tell the dec it was attacking me trying to push my treestand over... i took a shot at a 4 pt this eve but just skimmed his brisket i think plenty of long white hair w light brown tips around but no blood and me and another guy looked for quite a while... sorta stinks but im glad he is still out there and am hopeing for another shot real soon!

Lol ...I can't tell you how bad I wanted to shoot her...she was one plump ole doe...there is a beaten down path in the leaves 15ft from the stand...I had sprayed a downed tree 5ft on the other side of that...wish she'd stayed on the path! ...I do wonder....if she didn't find the stand as a regular "scratching post" some time ago...I mean the clips were rattling as she rubbed and it didn't phase her one bit....wish I had video of it from the ground angle...lol

Edited by growalot

I just had the strangest damn experience ever hunting....let me tell you...that's saying A LOT

At 4:15 I decide to standup in my stand...so I could see all around me..it's a ladder stand against a large maple....I turn my head and a doe had snuck up to 15yrds of me and I had not heard her....she spooked and went the whole nine yards but never left...instead she started circling me...Now Every muscle is locked up...and she will not take her eyes off of me...spooked once behind me...but kept coming...I see she's 2ft from the stand and going in front of it...still spooky and looking all around and glancing up....

Next thing I know she's facing the ladder and head butts it!!!...the darn thing shook and I'm trying to keep my balance...she then gets a long side of it and is pushing the ladder with her side...like a cow rubbing a fence...I nearly yelled at her....I'm getting sore and.... tired left the building....This very big doe with huge wht circles around her eyes decides the front wasn't good enough and walks behind the ladder and starts pushing out...WTH!!....I had to bend and lean back not to topple off that little 12x18 inch platform....by the time shes done and so slowly walks away it is 5 :20 and dark as all get out...

I think I may have made a secret weapon...more on that in another thread...

that's wild man. i once had a dow lock eyes with me for a good 45min. neck was sore for a week.

Thanks Paula...snapped her pic from the porch some years ago....

I started out for that same stand this a.m. but talk about noisy!the frost had heaved the soil and the moss...Ice crystals, just made a racket...I made it to the radish field stand...only a 100yrds from road but it took me a half hour...AAuuughh...I pushed at least one deer...made a racket stepping on to stand..and again....just barely hooked in...quiver still on ...bow on deck and deer every where 3 came rt to the stand circled and came back into radish from behind me mind you 5 yrds...then a buck ...I think button or spike followed but stayed in turnips...finally I get set..but it's still dark a buck fed rt under me and he and the other in turnips get into a shoving match...in the mean time the 3 doe walk between the goat barn and garden then circle back down the other side of garden to the turnips....another deer comes in and a chase ensues through the hedge row...by good light they were all too far away..

8am I see two deer in turnips headed my way...get ready and then a bigger doe comes walking in out of the HSG area...those to other deer turn and run to her...fawns and she stood and let both of them nurse for a few moments ...never tried to stop them....Mid Nov.???...Well of course she comes in for a good shot....Just could not do it :no2:

Feet cold came in...hhhmmmm1000grams...not cutting it...time to pull out the Baffins

Thanks Paula...snapped her pic from the porch some years ago....

I started out for that same stand this a.m. but talk about noisy!the frost had heaved the soil and the moss...Ice crystals, just made a racket...I made it to the radish field stand...only a 100yrds from road but it took me a half hour...AAuuughh...I pushed at least one deer...made a racket stepping on to stand..and again....just barely hooked in...quiver still on ...bow on deck and deer every where 3 came rt to the stand circled and came back into radish from behind me mind you 5 yrds...then a buck ...I think button or spike followed but stayed in turnips...finally I get set..but it's still dark a buck fed rt under me and he and the other in turnips get into a shoving match...in the mean time the 3 doe walk between the goat barn and garden then circle back down the other side of garden to the turnips....another deer comes in and a chase ensues through the hedge row...by good light they were all too far away..

8am I see two deer in turnips headed my way...get ready and then a bigger doe comes walking in out of the HSG area...those to other deer turn and run to her...fawns and she stood and let both of them nurse for a few moments ...never tried to stop them....Mid Nov.???...Well of course she comes in for a good shot....Just could not do it :no2:

Feet cold came in...hhhmmmm1000grams...not cutting it...time to pull out the Baffins

sounds like you're hunting in a neighbors vegetable garden haha

I only rattle if I've been hearing a lot of fights....but that stopped days ago....hhhmmm the big boys may be sausage now...lol

went out at 2...went to get into a unused stand metal hang on with wooden ladder...get to top foot rung and test as I always do...it gives a bit...try one more time...nope...climb down enough to give it a good yank and it gives at the joint...phewwww...so hit the stand I passed 6pt in....

I watch a good sized deer limp all hunched up out of the area the bad stand is in....little over 200yrds away...it goes on to neighbors....then a 5pt feeds in the lane way giving me 15 mins. of on and off broad side shots ...then walks wide open broad side in front of my stand....7yrds out...pass...he still had a fawns face and clod hopper hooves...you know...they look to big for his legs....lots of passes today...yep I see tag soup in my future...I walked past where that deer entered the neighbors....must have seen me ..it went crashing through their swamp....still not sure if a buck or doe....hope it wasn't an archers mistake...one more day...sent Mr B off to camp

PS....looked around for blood...found none....

Edited by growalot

I haven't given up yet...out nice and early...two fawn walked the other side of gully ...and I saw legs 100yrds out in field...bleated 3x's but they kept going...until they turned and came back up and closed half the distance....young buck head pushing and a bigger doe with two other doe fawns...4 fawns and the doe....

I was in my practice stand and had not removed the 3-d yet...so one button buck came up and walked the trail behind me checking out the target...Then the doe headed my way with the other 3 in tow.....I use a clothe bow holder that snaps to my utility belt...lets me sit with the bow at the ready and it breaks up my outline.... 13yrs never had a problem...until today....I wait until she has her head behind a tree and go to draw...won't pull...WTH! fawn spots me struggle doe goes on alert...I look down to see the cam is stuck in the holder...some tense moments ensue but the doe decides to move ahead...hits another group of trees and I draw...but fawn spooks and off everyone goes....Aaauughhh

It was fun...but came in way early...Mr B returned from camp...things to take care of so I came in to help..

at 4:10 pm I started eating tag soup for the early archery at least I shot a doe....that little 6pt walked a long trail plot hung a hard lft. and walked under my stand...I've passed on him so many times ...and he didn't have a care in the world...so he walked again....fear he won't make it tomorrow..... but that's not on me...bow is taken down and in case...broad heads are on the cross bolts and ready to go after tomorrow morning.....slip signed and in back tag

Edited by growalot