Moon Phase for October

burmjohn

I was reading an article in D&DH about the hunters moon on Sept 21, some say its the start of Does going into estrous. According to the article 10 days later they are supposed to start chasing and early rut. Interesting article but still think most of the action will be late Oct- Early Nov. Any buddy else have thoughts on this? Thanks for the link to the moon phases.

Credit to Hunting Beast forum:

We have been talking about the moon and how it effects deer movement quite a bit lately. I really don't understand what the gravitational effect does to deer, I just know that they are more active when the moon is over head, or under foot. I was a doubter until my friend Andrae kept out hunting me in the mornings outside the rut, a time when most bucks are bedded before daylight. I questioned him about it and he confided that he uses the moon as a guide as to when the deer are moving late in the morning. If the moon is over head, or directly below, and its the 1st couple hours of daylight, he said the bucks will be late getting back to there beds... I have never known Andrae to be one to believe in pixie dust, but I still had my doubts even though he had knocked down some incredible animals on those moon above/below mornings.

That night while staying at Andraes he asked me to look at the times and dates on his trail camera photo's and compare them to the guide.

It was amazing at how accurate the guide was. The one discrepancy it had was thrown out when we checked the weather for that day. It was the perfect test cause Andrae was running 2 dozen cameras in 2 states and if we pencil graphed the peak movements they coincided with peak movements on the chart ( Jeff Murry moon guide chart )

I have heard some say that moon directly above has more effect than below, but I see good results with both. Andrae believes the over head days are better. ( red )

Weather will change results. And I, nor Andrae believe everything the guide or moon charts try to sell. Big bucks hold tight midday regardless of moon most of the time... However, you will see smaller bucks and does feeding midday during peak moon.

I also believe that mature bucks will rise and enter there staging area prior to dark regardless of moon, but may move farther beyond the staging area before dark on the right moon phase which can be key for those set ups where you can't get close enough.

Anywho... Here are the mornings this season I would want to be perched over the top of a mature bucks bed waiting for daylight based on the moon:

RED=OVERHEAD

SEPT 7

SEPT 8

SEPT 9

SEPT 21

SEPT 22

Sept 23

OCT 7

OCT8

OCT 9

OCT 21

OCT 22

OCT23

NOV 6

NOV 7

NOV 8

NOV 9

NOV 20

NOV 21

NOV 22

NOV23

DEC 6

DEC 7

DEC 8

DEC 9

DEC 20

DEC 21

DEC 22

JAN 5

JAN 6

JAN 7

JAN 19

JAN 20

JAN 21

Here are the best days for evening sits... By best, I mean the bucks should move earlier than normal, so this should be good for those spots where you can't quite get close enough for daylight shooting due to noise, vision, wind, or some other factor.

SEPT 6

SEPT 7

SEPT 8

SEPT 9

SEPT 21

SEPT 22

SEPT 23

OCT 5

OCT 6

OCT 7

OCT 19

OCT 20

OCT 21

NOV 2

NOV 3

NOV 4

NOV 5

NOV 17

NOV 18

NOV 19

DEC 3

DEC 4

DEC 5

DEC 17

DEC 18

DEC 19

JAN 2

JAN 3

JAN 4

JAN 15

JAN 16

JAN 17

JAN 18

JAN 31

RUT CRUISE TIMES: (BASED ON MOON O/H - U/F)

OCT 27 11:19 AM

OCT 28 12:04 PM

OCT 29 12:49 PM

OCT 30 1:34 PM

OCT 31 2:21 PM

NOV 1 3:09 PM

NOV 2 3:57 PM

NOV 3 4:45 PM

NOV 4 4:33 PM

NOV 5 5:20 PM

NOV 6 5:42 AM

NOV 7 6:28 AM

NOV 8 7:15 AM

NOV 9 8:03 AM

NOV 10 - 8:53 AM

NOV 11 - 9:46 AM

NOV 12 - 10:42 AM

NOV 13 - 11:42 AM

NOV 14 - 12:45 PM

NOV 15 - 1:48 PM

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I was reading an article in D&DH about the hunters moon on Sept 21, some say its the start of Does going into estrous. According to the article 10 days later they are supposed to start chasing and early rut. Interesting article but still think most of the action will be late Oct- Early Nov. Any buddy else have thoughts on this? Thanks for the link to the moon phases.

According to every moon theory I have ever seen, its based on the first full moon AFTER the Autumnal Equinox, and its called the Hunters moon. The Harvest moon is the one closest to the AE, so the upcoming full moon on Saturday would be the Harvest moon, and the full moon on Oct 29 is the Hunters moon. Alsheimers prediction this year is basically for the main rut cycle to start late Oct and run into mid November. I think hes going to be close this year.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how any of this fits into your guys theories but sunday I was goose hunting and witnessed two bucks chasing a doe. By chasing I mean they were full out sprinting after her. First was good sized 2.5 yo. right behind her by about 30-50 yards and then about 2-3 mins later a smaller buck came through birddogging her with his nose to the ground. Regardless of any of these theories I'm excited to get an extra two weeks in the woods.

Good luck this year

CNY

If bucks were breeding does a full month earlier than normal, there would be alot of fawns dieing from the cold shortly after they were born. The reason the rut happens within the general time span that it does here (in the north) is so that fawns are born at the best time, when the greenup is happeneing and the temperatures are generally more mild. Deer gestation is a defined length, so the rut may vary slightly, but its not going to happen a month ahead of time.

Credit to Hunting Beast forum:

We have been talking about the moon and how it effects deer movement quite a bit lately....

Really great easy to use chart, thanks! I totally believe in moon phase and anecdotally believe I have observed greater activity as aforementioned in the above article.

• 5 weeks later...

well when the does are being chased and running away, they are not getting bred. The bucks are ready, but the does are no where ready yet. The actual rut is about 36-48 hours. The bucks will hang with the does then until they are receptive and are bred. Any activity now is bucks looking for does who will be willing to breed when the time comes. I am sure I will get hammered for this, but it is the way it is. When the does are ready to be bred, you see much less activity and they go into the woods with the bucks and lay low. The best hunting time is pre rut when the bucks are chasing. like now. Also the moon calendar I have says this weekend will be a lot of activity.

• 2 weeks later...