Doe down!!!

deerpassion

U know the number??!!!!! Such a waste, I hate losing em !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd get back out there and do concentric circles onhands and knees if possible from last blood til you find her or more blood/fur.

If it was lung blood that deer is likely dead by now. 1 lung can take an hour or so but they will typically expire. Lung blood shoud also show up knee to waste high on tall grass and shrubs. Also because you did not push her she probablydid not go too much further...go get that meat quick before it spoils.

Edited by 7J Everyday

Left a message , let's see if they call me back

It is your responsibility to make a full attempt to recover that deer, not the tracking services. I don't know the details of your situation other than what you have posted, but unless the trail ended across private property or otherwise unaccessible land you should atleast spend today trying to recover. With the warm weather a successful overnight recovery is probably not worth it though.

Edited by 7J Everyday
  • Like 1

It is your responsibility to make a full attempt to recover that deer, not the tracking services. I don't know the details of your situation other than what you have posted, but unless the trail ended across private property or otherwise unaccessible land you should atleast spend today trying to recover. With the warm weather a successful overnight recovery is probably not worth it though.

Agreed.

I don't want to bust this guys chops at a time like this, but I thought the thread said "doe down"? I for one NEVER consider an animal "down" until I wrap my hands around it.

• Like 3

Agreed.

I don't want to bust this guys chops at a time like this, but I thought the thread said "doe down"? I for one NEVER consider an animal "down" until I wrap my hands around it.

I agree about not busting his chops, and if it came off that way I apologize.

Let me also state I have left 2 in the woods in my time, but both were on cold nights, and the second I recovered the next morning when I continued to search by just continuing on the trail I had last seen the deer on and listening for a murder of crows...only the front end was worth anything, and I lost the 6-7 point, backstraps and hind-end to Coyotes, but atleast I got something:

post-1622-0-93893000-1320200694_thumb.jp

That said there are three parts to Archery hunting: practice and pre-season prep, skilled shooting, and patient and diligent tracking and recovery...two hours on an animal you are positive you mortally wounded does not seem ethical by any stretch and gives archers a bad name in general.

Also there are a lot of guys on here who still don't like us doe assassinators period...this certainly doesn't help that battle.

Edited by 7J Everyday
  • Like 1

Relax guys dam, I'm not some joe shmo city slicker fartin around in the woods , spent almost three hours lookin for her in thick nasty underbrush with grass shoulder high, she could be Layin right next to me n I wouldn't even know it, and U try walkin circles in that sh?$!!! Gettin down at 4 n lookin some more till dark... Get off your high horse!

• Like 1

No one said your a joe shmo deerpassion just everyone is putting in their 2 cents and giving some guidence. I know it may seem as if people are lecturing you however I have to agree with everyone else since your post did say deer down not deer hit and not sure if I will recover!! And by your posts seemed like you did a quick once over and said oh well and went back to hunting. I am sure that is not the case but it seems that way after reading your posts. Anyways I am not one to start trouble and do not want to come across that way. Best of luck on your recovery hope you find her.

I know some great traditional archers/hunters who live in cities...

I wish you best of luck looking.

There is something to be said for the "old days", I'd drop my roll of film off at the drugstore,(you youngsters can google 'film" ) and maybe call 1 or 2 guys if your kids were not tying up the phone all night .

oh use your nose in the thick stuff,if your close you should smell her,I've found a couple in the dark by smelling them ,knew I was close.

Edited by Larry302

Relax guys dam, I'm not some joe shmo city slicker fartin around in the woods , spent almost three hours lookin for her in thick nasty underbrush with grass shoulder high, she could be Layin right next to me n I wouldn't even know it, and U try walkin circles in that sh?$!!! Gettin down at 4 n lookin some more till dark... Get off your high horse!

That's what happens when you post to a website. Instant feedback wether you like it or not. Don't post the next time until you sure of the situation, case closed. Hope you find her-good luck.

ok , my final thoughts on this post, yes it was a bit pretensive... but hey its opening day, and i was still hopin for a buck..., hadn't climbed down yet... whats good for the goose is good for the gander... of course a doe is not down until its in front of you in pics... later explained( w/ precursor of excitement) it looked to me as a heart shot.. excitement gets ya, ya know.... i will post the video of the shot, the blood, etc so you can asses for yourself.... i apologize for my distasteful post earlier, but as a dedicated hunter who loves this with all his heart, i was frustrated... of course i try to make the best shot possible, and yes i make every effort to find them ( side note, this is my first season in NY, moved here for gradschool from florida, and never lost a deer that i have shot at with archery equipment thus far) so firsts are a B(*tc&... but they happen and It's just a matter of time.... so i accept that... i also use tape to either mark last blood or direction if unclear, by trail or landmark... YES it is our job to make EVERY EFFORT possible to recover EVERY deer ...duhhhh.... deer search was suggested to me ( guess what) on this post, we don't have such a thing in Florida swamps where flag ponds and palmettos are a maze of similarity.... do you even know what a flag pond is? i guess the gators do the tracking for ya when you've searched and searched, however, your take home is much less interesting by then, so ya take pride in it, but hey, a little help never hurt if you exhausted every option, at least you may be able to salvage a good portion rather than finding it 6 Days LATER ..... sorry for that reference, you were rather nice... so i should say COYOTE GRUB... the basics of the shot were: she was broadside at 20, as i shot she took a step which made her quarter away, so an otherwise perfect heart/lung shot was a little forward given the angle.... the way she ran for 20, stopped, and then walked (not run) was a little discerning because when she stopped i got a good look at the entry, it loooked like hi heart, low lung, so when i saw lung blood thought it was done deal, however, after a walking blood trail with three dinner plate size pools of bright bubbly lungtastic blood, she began to clot, blood became more stagnant and dark, clumpy, then a spot every 10-15 yds at best... then nothing, so my assessment is ... da da da da dunt dunt da daaaaaaa........ she quartered away at the last second making for a more forward shot than anticipated leading to a forward/low lung shot with minor lung involvement entering the opposite shoulder w/o allowing complete penetration or fracture of the shoulder which would inhibit mechanical abilities in addition to physiological implications such as lack of O2 based on the lungs inability to oxygenate blood of the arteries, the hearts ability to pump that oxygenated blood to the brain for nerve impulse and to the muscles for mechanical function, therefore leading to her demise...... lack of pass through did not allow for exsitory flow of blood from the lower wound(decrease overall loss of blood) , the arrow was snapped off possibly inhibiting blood flow out of the body due to the pressure exerted by the arrow on the ruptured vessels.... and lastly she did not exert a maximal effort in escape, therefore leading to decreased O2 demands, which results in lower heart rate, and lower heart rate results in decreased level of blood lost... if this rant seems a bit precocious... :) it is.... haha, if you've made it to the end of this w/o shooting yourself, congratulations... ohhhh, did i forget to mention that i am in gradschool for physical therapy, and im a bit of a SMART A$$..... ooopppsss. in all seriousness guys,, thanks for the input, im glad we all can agree as serious outdoorsmen who are passionate about what we do.... thanks for reading :)-+=----, no seriously, im not gay... lol good night, and hello to day two!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

If its not to late I just want to throw my two cents in and see if it helps. A few years ago I doubled lung a large doe and she ran crashing into the woods. She was spraying lung blood out of both sides like crazy and then the trail just stopped. I got nervous and backed out and got my dad. He followed the trail up to the point that I did and then he back peddled looking off to the right and left and low and behold my deer had actually turned around walked back about 10 feet and died 10 feet of to the side. I walked right past her following the blood trail. If maybe you hit it a little high and she got some distance she might have went to a water source because losing blood makes you thirsty.

blood became more stagnant and dark, clumpy, then a spot every 10-15 yds at best... then nothing, so my assessment is ... da da da da dunt dunt da daaaaaaa........ she quartered away at the last second making for a more forward shot than anticipated leading to a forward/low lung shot with minor lung involvement entering the opposite shoulder w/o allowing complete penetration or fracture of the shoulder which would inhibit mechanical abilities in addition to physiological implications such as lack of O2 based on the lungs inability to oxygenate blood of the arteries, the hearts ability to pump that oxygenated blood to the brain for nerve impulse and to the muscles for mechanical function, therefore leading to her demise...... lack of pass through did not allow for exsitory flow of blood from the lower wound(decrease overall loss of blood) , the arrow was snapped off possibly inhibiting blood flow out of the body due to the pressure exerted by the arrow on the ruptured vessels.... and lastly she did not exert a maximal effort in escape, therefore leading to decreased O2 demands, which results in lower heart rate, and lower heart rate results in decreased level of blood lost... if this rant seems a bit precocious... :) it is.... haha, if you've made it to the end of this w/o shooting yourself, congratulations... ohhhh, did i forget to mention that i am in gradschool for physical therapy, and im a bit of a SMART A$$..... ooopppsss. in all seriousness guys,, thanks for the input, im glad we all can agree as serious outdoorsmen who are passionate about what we do.... thanks for reading :)-+=----, no seriously, im not gay... lol good night, and hello to day two!!!!!!!!!!

If the arrow was snapped off you probably got the first shoulder and no lungs, thus why your blood trailed ended after about 100 yards (though I suspect if you had spent the whole day instead of 2 or 3 hours you would have atleast found some more evidence such as fat chunks and fur...the light blood was probably from the initial wound, the dark blood was probably a little out of the mouth if you got into the lung at all, and more likely just the caugulating wound around the arrow stuck in the shoulder of that doe...that may have been enough to drop deer in florida, but more than likely you just left half a stick of carbon and a broadhead in that animal and it may recover.

You still should have spent more time and when that doe did not drop in front of you should have began to investigate on a warm day like today within 30-45 mins while being mindful not to push the wounded animal. And again I'm not holier than though in mistakes, I've hit a shoulder and I one-lunged that headless buck, but I search more than 2 days for the first and the headless buck i found on the second day after a late evening one lung kill.

Also if you have video you should be able to see about where you hit and assess from reaction. Finally work on your recovery skills before you fine tune your camera work. Nice rant.

Edited by 7J Everyday
  • Like 1

I spent a total of 8 hours between 2 different stands today . Saw a buck and a doe at 7:30 this morning . The buck milled around in the lower pasture lot for 15 minutes but never came to the pasture I was in . Left around 4 pm . I have to work tomorrow and needed to get my assignments plus I have to pick my wife up at the airport in a few minutes . Couldn't afford to be late on either plus my back was killing me .

I left my ATV and trailer at my sister in law's to save on gas . Hauling it really cuts down my milage .

If its not to late I just want to throw my two cents in and see if it helps. A few years ago I doubled lung a large doe and she ran crashing into the woods. She was spraying lung blood out of both sides like crazy and then the trail just stopped. I got nervous and backed out and got my dad. He followed the trail up to the point that I did and then he back peddled looking off to the right and left and low and behold my deer had actually turned around walked back about 10 feet and died 10 feet of to the side. I walked right past her following the blood trail. If maybe you hit it a little high and she got some distance she might have went to a water source because losing blood makes you thirsty.

no never too late for forum where everyone gets a voice... im just saddened that an initial hopeful post of joy got turned into my inadequacies of trailing a deer... try trailing a deer though the swamp.. ya i said swamp... you all worry about finding a trail after it rains, try doing it in a place that is 60 percent water.... and yes i did back track about 30 yds or so .... the blood trail ended a little ways into an entrance trail to a vast immature maple stand with intertwined thickets joined by weeds at shoulder height... but where the blood ended there were only three possibilities , well four if you count stopping and backtracking a bit, that she could have gone down... a narrow area for deviation... i exhausted them all, the left trail, straight ahead, to the right, anyone leading off those three, and then working backwards from last blood to see if i missed any blood off the main trail which would indicate that she stopped, turned around, went a distance, and then went a direction... NONE!!! that's why i say i spent almost 3 hours tracking her, had to take a break and rethink, so i hopped up in the tree, then got down and searched till sundown... still no results after crashing through all the shoulder grass and immature maples... i think she survived..

If the arrow was snapped off you probably got the first shoulder and no lungs, thus why your blood trailed ended after about 100 yards (though I suspect if you had spent the whole day instead of 2 or 3 hours you would have atleast found some more evidence such as fat chunks and fur...the light blood was probably from the initial wound, the dark blood was probably a little out of the mouth if you got into the lung at all, and more likely just the caugulating wound around the arrow stuck in the shoulder of that doe...that may have been enough to drop deer in florida, but more than likely you just left half a stick of carbon and a broadhead in that animal and it may recover.

You still should have spent more time and when that doe did not drop in front of you should have began to investigate on a warm day like today within 30-45 mins while being mindful not to push the wounded animal. And again I'm not holier than though in mistakes, I've hit a shoulder and I one-lunged that headless buck, but I search more than 2 days for the first and the headless buck i found on the second day after a late evening one lung kill.

Also if you have video you should be able to see about where you hit and assess from reaction. Finally work on your recovery skills before you fine tune your camera work. Nice rant.

ok so three points for response, one,,, a buck in florida is about the same stature or weight ( maybe a little more) than your doe's here.... so no point there... second, a warm day like today, lol, it was 45 degrees out today, i can kill a buck in florida in 80-95 degree weather and not gut it for an hour and a half and NOTHING spoils, wise tails of the north.... third, the video and what i saw are two different things, from where i shot the deer to my left at 20, she then ran to the right and stood at 10 yds, paused , and i physically saw an entrance wound picture perfect behind the shoulder for a hi heart... however that does not convey angle.... which obviously video does.... do NOT question my ability to track a dam deer you spoiled northerner... you complain about tracking a deer after it rains cause rain washed away the blood trail, try tracking a deer in a swamp that is 60% water, you don't just look at the sawgrass, pepper grass, and palmettos , but you have to be careful when walking through water to not make too much wake because blood floats as an oily substance on the top of the water because of its phatty acid content, unlike the abundant LEAVES you have up here for blood to conveniently land on.... ohhhh and FOURTH point, i did NOT give up sooooo easily as you assume, i tracked that thing for almost three hours, well if your not having any progress, take a step back and think about it for a second, .... reflect..... so i hopped up in a tree(god forbid i should HUNt while im already in the woods) then got down a little while later and tracked it till dark... walked through every possible trail, though immature maple stand invested with thickets and shoulder high grass, she could have been lying right next to me in that stuff and never would have known it.... also, grad student, low budget , state land, far from house, GAS equals money incase you haven't paid any attention to todays society, so i don't necessarily have the TIME( class, lab, clinicals) or MONEY to track a dam deer for 2222222222 dayyyyyssss.. get over yourself... new name for you,,, GREAT WHITE HUNTER...... aka weekend warrior.. , like i said to another member, what started out a a joyful hopeful post (first deer in NY on the first day, of the first season, think im doin pretty well when majority didn't see squat) ended up as my inadequacy and lack of patients for giving a deer its due.... good day sir,,,, I SAID GOOD DAY!!! lol