50 yards

JonathanStrange

I appreciate the well wishes, but I also want to pass along that I do agree that it takes a TON of things to come together to consider a 45,50, 55 yard shot. It had to be perfect for me to even think about drawing. Lots can indeed go wrong and you need to rule out those variable as best as possible before triggering the release. It is not something I suggest for the OP. But, given that he seems responsible based on his posts, I encourage him to work toward being ready for such an encounter for next season - he'll know when it is right for him.

In talks with many midwest hunters who take longer shots and have more experience at it than I do, one thing seems consistent - as long as that deer is not alert to you, once thing you can largely count on is that they don't tend to "jump the string" when shots start to get about 35 yards out. I'm really unsure why, but I've had this specific conversation with what I consider serious and successful mature buck hunters who have the experience to make me believe it - ones who do not know one another and saying the same thing. I have come to see the same thing. Granted, that's only emperical and nothing is "for sure" but it is so consistent amongst all of these hunters and what I have seen that I believe it.

Edited by phade

I have shot several deer over 50 yards, it takes practice, confidance and woodsmanship skills. I started practicing for a 50 yards after i kept seeing a 10pt cross an open field many ,many times. I do recomend you kill a few deer "to get some under the belt" as to know how to control buck fever. I always try to find a way to get closer,stalking , ground hunting,changing set ups . but some time s you need to be able to shoot a bit further than normal. For those of you that scream ethics, ethis are a personal matter.I'm sure many of you have abilities i lack as, i know i have some that you aren't as good at.I have no problem with far shots and i am quite comfortable with them. but i will not take on in the woods,at alert deer, or on an extreemly windy day, That said PRACTICE!! become extreemly familiar with your equipment (so much so you can tune it yourself) check arrows and broadhead allignments so they are perfect(inserts are not always in line with the shaft) check fletchs to make sure they are on properly and secure. An arrow out of the box is rarely ready to put a broadhead on to take hunting for a long shot. And most important know where the deer goes when you shoot! learn to track. Most deer i see get away from a long shot are lost because the shooter doesn't know how far away the game was or how to find where it was standing when shot. tough to track if you don't have inital sign. this is especially true in gun at long 100 yrd plus shots. I have helped a neighbor find his deer many times because he finds no blood, only to have me walk 50 yards further and find where he actually shot it at. then finding the deer 50 yards away double lunged.I wonder how many deer are lost because a hunter cant find where the actuall deer was at longer ranges? easy to do on a close shot ..much harder on a far one.

Knowing that it takes several things to come together is precisely why I knew I couldn't take the shot sunday night. The scenario did get me thinking about what it takes to pull such a shot off.

As for ethics, ethics are the same no matter what the distance. If you think your shot will be true, and your recovery skills are there, you are taking an ethical shot.

Cheers all.

Knowing that it takes several things to come together is precisely why I knew I couldn't take the shot sunday night. The scenario did get me thinking about what it takes to pull such a shot off.

As for ethics, ethics are the same no matter what the distance. If you think your shot will be true, and your recovery skills are there, you are taking an ethical shot.

Cheers all.

This is why I think you'll be able to seal the deal after you feel you are ready. Your posts indicate responsibility and the level of thought you will put into a 50 yard shot. I have a feeling you'll be killing plenty of deer in your time.

Doc:

I also encourage you to visit the bowhunting harvest thread. I spent my own time, gas, and money helping another forum member who was willing to learn, in order to get his first deer. The first time I met the guy was at his property. We walked it, scouted it, and he gave me his thoughts and we made a plan together. First sit...dead deer and a great experience for everyone. Bowhunters are notorious for being greedy, private, and snobish. Keep perpetuating it by saying "i want my deer close and I have more respect for one who kills at 10 vs. 50." and I'll keep dispelling it by walking the walk and helping others.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

Doc:

I also encourage you to visit the bowhunting harvest thread. I spent my own time, gas, and money helping another forum member who was willing to learn, in order to get his first deer. The first time I met the guy was at his property. We walked it, scouted it, and he gave me his thoughts and we made a plan together. First sit...dead deer and a great experience for everyone. Bowhunters are notorious for being greedy, private, and snobish. Keep perpetuating it by saying "i want my deer close and I have more respect for one who kills at 10 vs. 50." and I'll keep dispelling it by walking the walk and helping others.

Thats great you helped him out anyone would be lucky to have an honest person like you to offer help. I don't think Doc will get what your saying. I know i know this comment will get me another private message saying i am once again i am being hostile, but i can handle it.

Edited by paula

Thats great you helped him out anyone would be lucky to have an honest person like you to offer help. I don't think Doc will get what your saying. I know i know this comment will get me another private message saying i am once again being hostile, but i can handle it.

From me or the Doc?

This is why I think you'll be able to seal the deal after you feel you are ready. Your posts indicate responsibility and the level of thought you will put into a 50 yard shot. I have a feeling you'll be killing plenty of deer in your time.

Thank you Phade. I aim to be responsible in everything, especially how I harvest game. I certainly won't be trying this shot next weekend, but next year I don't think it would be out of the question, circumstances permitting of course.

Cheers

phade, after reading your posts i WISH i could do half the things you do in pursuit of a buck like that. however property lines and small acreage just doesnt allow for it in my situation.

congrats though on your deer

Thanks, but anyone can do this.

This took place on 32 acres, 20 of it woods.

Doc:

I think its worth mentioning that I have acquintences/friends that always talk about how great hunting is. When I finally decided that I wanted to give it shot, I had very little actual help from all of those that encouraged me to try it, with a few exceptions. Frankly, I thought it was strange that those who talk so highly of the sport didn't seem excited to help out a new guy. Most seemed like I was invading their turf and were way too secretive (like they wanted all of the deer for themselves). I have a few other hobbies where if someone mentioned an interest to me, I would do whatever I could to encourage and guide them.

A week ago, I did not know phade AT ALL. He responded to my post on this site seeking advice and was more than helpful than I really could ask of a stranger. He spent over 3 hours walking the property with me, teaching me signs to look for and where best to set up based on those signs and wind. He even helped me set up a blind and then left to help another hunter. I can't thank him enough. I learned more in my emails with him (and his are detailed) and that three hour walk, than all the numerous hours I spent researching. Then, I call him excited about my first shot on a deer and his response was "I'll be right there, sit tight and don't take another doe ... if a buck comes by and you want to, shoot him." He went way out of his way to help me track the deer.

Phade is a huge credit to this sport and forum. He is selfless and walks the walk. People like him are what will cause this sport to grow. Don't want to sound like I am gushing over him, but he really went above and beyond. Thanks Phade. I hope I can return the numerous favors in some way.

If you really want this sport to grow in numbers instead of declining, take a page from Phade's book. I am sure there are others on the forum like him, but phade's actions speak for themselves. I hope I mature in this sport to the point where I can do the same for some other novice hunters.

• Like 3

I think its worth mentioning that I have acquintences/friends that always talk about how great hunting is. When I finally decided that I wanted to give it shot, I had very little actual help from all of those that encouraged me to try it, with a few exceptions. Frankly, I thought it was strange that those who talk so highly of the sport didn't seem excited to help out a new guy. Most seemed like I was invading their turf and were way too secretive (like they wanted all of the deer for themselves). I have a few other hobbies where if someone mentioned an interest to me, I would do whatever I could to encourage and guide them.

A week ago, I did not know phade AT ALL. He responded to my post on this site seeking advice and was more than helpful than I really could ask of a stranger. He spent over 3 hours walking the property with me, teaching me signs to look for and where best to set up based on those signs and wind. He even helped me set up a blind and then left to help another hunter. I can't thank him enough. I learned more in my emails with him (and his are detailed) and that three hour walk, than all the numerous hours I spent researching. Then, I call him excited about my first shot on a deer and his response was "I'll be right there, sit tight and don't take another doe ... if a buck comes by and you want to, shoot him." He went way out of his way to help me track the deer.

Phade is a huge credit to this sport and forum. He is selfless and walks the walk. People like him are what will cause this sport to grow. Don't want to sound like I am gushing over him, but he really went above and beyond. Thanks Phade. I hope I can return the numerous favors in some way.

If you really want this sport to grow in numbers instead of declining, take a page from Phade's book. I am sure there are others on the forum like him, but phade's actions speak for themselves. I hope I mature in this sport to the point where I can do the same for some other novice hunters.

Very impressive to say the least. Our hats off to Phade!

As far as shooting at 50 yards, maybe there are a FEW who can make it happen, but I have NO doubt that it's a very FEW. I don't consider myself much of a bowhunter, but I would wager that most bowhunters shouldn't shoot much past 20 yards, let alone 50. I would also wager that for every deer that is put down at 50 yards there are scores of them either missed or wounded at even 30 or 40 yards. I simply will never be convinced that a bow is an consistently effective weapon much beyond 30 yards for anyone other than the most experienced archers. As others have mentioned, shooting at targets at long distances is a whole different world compared to shooting at a live deer. And being a good bow shot, don't necessary make you a good bowHUNTER.

Yeah the problem is you can't see that little twig out at 40-50 yards. Just can't don't care who you are plus wind will push arrows a lot more than you think.

That's why you don't shoot 50 yards where there are "twigs."

post-575-0-86073000-1349806870_thumb.jpg

I hear they made rage broadheads for just this situation. Doesnt matter where you hit them, a 3inch hole bleeds them out. :biggrin: Heck even a gut shot deer will eventually die. Eventually. If you can live with wounding and not finding a deer then shoot away. Heck I know people who have killed deer with recurves much further than that. And thats not bullsh---- either. But he also never found 90% of the deer he shot either.

Some of these newer bows can hold a tight group at 50 yards, yes tuning is everything. You and your bow need to be tuned. With my setup i have 1 pin for 10,20,30 the second is for 40,50. It is ethical if you and your equipment are tuned for it. Me personaly wouldnt take it.

Idk man Ive seen a few block heads with their new exspensive bows.

All the money in the world cant buy a good shot.

One of the best bow shooters if not the best one I know uses a really old bow with only one pin that he has had since a kid.

50 yards in a nice group, I would have to see it to belive it.

Bill.

I don't know Phade, but by the sounds of it, I'd like to be his friend. Way to go to show gratitude moog.

For me, the challenge of bowhunting is the fact that I have to get close. That's what I got into bowhunting for was to take on the challenge of a short-range weapon for hunting. Maybe I'm in the minority on that these days. But I think I'm much more impressed with a bowhunter that gets his deer at 10 or 15 yards than some guy who had to "settle" for a 50 yard shot.

I suppose if NYS allowed clubs and bats as legal hunting implements, you'll go with that next as a challenge?

I find it very disturbing that experianced hunters are telling inexperianced hunters that its ok to take long shots. My final advice is, if you can 100% of the time put a broadhead tipped arrow in a 6 inch circle, outside, with wind, under hunting conditions, with adrenilan pumping on a deer that in one step can move 6 inches or further in any direction. You are a better shot than I. Or are willing to gamble a little more than I would. And then add low light to it, where you may or may not see where the arrow hit, your insane.

I find it very disturbing that experianced hunters are telling inexperianced hunters that its ok to take long shots. My final advice is, if you can 100% of the time put a broadhead tipped arrow in a 6 inch circle, outside, with wind, under hunting conditions, with adrenilan pumping on a deer that in one step can move 6 inches or further in any direction. You are a better shot than I. Or are willing to gamble a little more than I would. And then add low light to it, where you may or may not see where the arrow hit, your insane.

I think you may be misunderstanding.

If you personally can't/won't shoot 50 yards, fine. If you think all bowhunters shouldn't, then, well, the fall from the high horse is going to hurt at some point.

When the proper practice and situation dynamics allow for it, it is considerable. Is is common, especially here in NY? No, not at all, and I think everyone who supports a longer shot possibility in this thread has made that very clear.

There are a TON of caveats with every single encounter. Nobody is saying to blanketly shoot 50+ yards without concern, and I think it is pretty clear the OP understands this.

And, as far as the arrow hit, if you are seeing where the arrow hits on all of your deer...then you haven't killed many whitetails up close. I have seen far fewer arrows hit my deer at 5, 10, and 15 yards. Most times that arrow has gone through the deer before my form has let me even peek at it. It's actually more difficult to see the arrow impact at 10 yards than it is at 25.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2