50 yards

JonathanStrange

Dang I bet you used flint heads and turkey feathers to. : )

Lol .... it was a completely different activity than it is today .... that's for sure. Compounds were not really on the market back then, or at least I was unaware of them. Recurves were the state of the art weapon. Feather fletched port orford cedar arrows, and Bear razorheads. That was all the hot set-up. It took me a while before I started using a sight. Most everyone was shooting instinctive then. It was a fun time. Oh, and it was quite a few years before I saw my first bowhunter in the woods....lol. And that was hunting on state land. I think one of the reasons that we were able to get our own season back then was because nobody really took us very seriously and our impact on the herd was totally insignificant. But the challenge got a few of us fanatics out there.

Doc, not that i wish to be any older then i am, i do wish i could have experienced those early bowhunting times. They say that we are living in the best times to be a bowhunter but the way you described those simple days, sure sounds appealing. Now-a-days you get the pleasure of listening to snot nose know it alls like myself who you would think invented this great sport. LOL.. Thanks for putting things into perspective for some of us..

Edited by dave6x6

Lol .... it was a completely different activity than it is today .... that's for sure. Compounds were not really on the market back then, or at least I was unaware of them. Recurves were the state of the art weapon. Feather fletched port orford cedar arrows, and Bear razorheads. That was all the hot set-up. It took me a while before I started using a sight. Most everyone was shooting instinctive then. It was a fun time. Oh, and it was quite a few years before I saw my first bowhunter in the woods....lol. And that was hunting on state land. I think one of the reasons that we were able to get our own season back then was because nobody really took us very seriously and our impact on the herd was totally insignificant. But the challenge got a few of us fanatics out there.

I started out shooting with my Dads Bear recurve back in the 80's. He had 4 fiberglass arrows that I used. Use to get fibers in my skin and they would hurt like crazy. Was glad to get some cheap aluminum arrow eventually. LOL. It had a rubber clamp on quiver with no cover just exposed heads. It was a real mans work bow!!! He wasnt paying attention one time and somehow flipped the bow around while crawling through some brush and lifted his leg up right into the old bear broadheads. Had to get a few stiches. LOL.

Edited by erussell

this topic is brought up every year.Over and over.It is always a new person asking how far can they shoot.

My speedometer says 130mph.Can i drive 130mph on curvy roads then?

If the road conditions and car has the proper suspension and tires, I don't see why not. Know your capabilities and that of your equipment and conditions.

Doc, not that i wish to be any older then i am, i do wish i could have experienced those early bowhunting times. They say that we are living in the best times to be a bowhunter but the way you described those simple days, sure sounds appealing. Now-a-days you get the pleasure of listening to snot nose know it alls like myself who you would think invented this great sport. LOL.. Thanks for putting things into perspective for some of us..

the thing of it id, you can experience these simpler archery times. No one forces you to use a compound with let off and sights. Buy a recurve, throw away all the fancy toys and go hunt. You will love it.

• Like 1

the thing of it id, you can experience these simpler archery times. No one forces you to use a compound with let off and sights. Buy a recurve, throw away all the fancy toys and go hunt. You will love it.

I'm sure i would love the simpler tackle, but what i was really referring to is the culture of bow hunting. With the TV and the X box hunting games and the over commercializing of the industry, it just seems that it must have been cool when you were the only one in the woods hunting with a bow. And you were learning it from experience, not from a magazine.. Now a days, anyone with cable can be a bow hunting expert..

So unfortunate that a moderator of the site can't let an unproductive conversation die. I left the site years ago because the guy with the most time on his hands seems to think he knows his opinion is the only opinion that matters and he just never stops typing. I'm sure I'll get banned or something but I'm not shocked that within a short time of my observing this site again that I'm seeing the same fights by the same guy.

My 2 cents on the matter and then I'm likely done... Everyone has different skill capabilities and some people also work harder than others. Given that fact, to try and say someone can't effectively do "this" or "that" is wrong. I will quickly say however that most guys are likely not skilled enough to be considering shots much over 20 yards based on my observations and experience. Further, inexperienced hunters should probably stick with shots within their experience wheelhouse.

Wounding a deer literally makes me feel ill and wounding an animal is far worse than the joy of harvesting one. But based on my skill and work ethic, I'm planning on taking a shot at 47 yards if the shot presents itself again and if I know it's perfect. Wether it's 7 yards or 47 yards, I think hard on wether or not this is the right thing and what the outcome is likely to be. I tend to go above and beyond in many things I do and preparing for a certain shot is no different. Although I don't know Phade, I certainly relate to him. If you can't relate, that doesn't mean you're right or should flame on.

• Like 1

So unfortunate that a moderator of the site can't let an unproductive conversation die. I left the site years ago because the guy with the most time on his hands seems to think he knows his opinion is the only opinion that matters and he just never stops typing. I'm sure I'll get banned or something but I'm not shocked that within a short time of my observing this site again that I'm seeing the same fights by the same guy.

My 2 cents on the matter and then I'm likely done... Everyone has different skill capabilities and some people also work harder than others. Given that fact, to try and say someone can't effectively do "this" or "that" is wrong. I will quickly say however that most guys are likely not skilled enough to be considering shots much over 20 yards based on my observations and experience. Further, inexperienced hunters should probably stick with shots within their experience wheelhouse.

Wounding a deer literally makes me feel ill and wounding an animal is far worse than the joy of harvesting one. But based on my skill and work ethic, I'm planning on taking a shot at 47 yards if the shot presents itself again and if I know it's perfect. Wether it's 7 yards or 47 yards, I think hard on wether or not this is the right thing and what the outcome is likely to be. I tend to go above and beyond in many things I do and preparing for a certain shot is no different. Although I don't know Phade, I certainly relate to him. If you can't relate, that doesn't mean you're right or should flame on.

Well said JFB.

Very mature comment Dave.

What is comical (and sad) is that based on your earlier post, you actually agree with me when you said "I don't have a problem with experienced hunters taking longer shots". Anyone who can read can see that is my main point as well.

But even though you a agree with me, you try to attack me with your ignorant comment just because you're friends with someone on this board. How old are you? You act as if I've posted recently with "one more bit of wisdom" but I've not posted in years other than some help with turkey hunting. Isn't that what a board like this is supposed to be for? If it's just a hobby to pick on people, man up and go somewhere and try to pick on people to their face.

Do you ever wonder why kids these days get into cyber bullying? Heck, you "adults" can't even resist. I see that a few of you "liked" Dave's comment. Other than standing up for your buddy, can you explain to me what you "like" about this? Dave's point was my exact point yet you "like" his classless comment.

I know I'm swimming up stream and you can't fix ignorance but I'll take a stab at it.

Perhaps my mistake.. I assumed this was the same group of people who were a part of the "Empire.." site that I was referring to years ago. Seems like that forum was nothing but people bitching and I sure recognized some names here.

"Pansy ass"... if you only knew..

I appreciate the people who PM'd me who opened my eyes a bit as to what goes on here with clicks and unavoidable ignorance. I'll just try and use the site for what it can provide to me and mostly ignore the others. Just don't expect me to pass on people trying to be tough guys and pretend like they invented the arrow.

Perhaps my mistake.. I assumed this was the same group of people who were a part of the "Empire.." site that I was referring to years ago. Seems like that forum was nothing but people bitching and I sure recognized some names here.

So if you didn't like the last site and the bitching why on earth did you sign up for this one if you feel it is the same way?

You seem like a Drama queen, we have more than enough of those here, probaly the same ones that PM'ed you.