pistol permit process

No. I was planning on buying a m&p40 as soon as I was approved but Cuomo screwed that up for me. No one in my area has one and if they do they won't give me a magazine to go with it even though the law doesnt technically go into effect until 4/15/09. So I am going to look into other pistols and wait a month or 2 to see if this law is going to go away anytime soon. I already have my great grandfathers colt woodsman .22 and my father in law gave me a 1911 yesterday when I got the approval letter.

Congrats on the permit. You already have 2 nice pistols that I would want to own. My initial idea is that I need 3.

A .22 for cheap plinking and I can shoot it in the range I set up in the basement of my PA house.

A 9mm for target shooting.

A .44 mag for hunting.

Knowing my obsessive/compulsive behavior, this list will likely grow.

It should work the same as before the only difference will be that you will have to re certify your pistol permit every 5 years. Which from what I have read will basically submitting paper work that verifies all of your information is up to date and will allow the state police to run another background check on you to make sure that you don't have anything that would give them a reason to revoke your permit.

• Like 1

Back when I went for me first ccp here in Pa,we would walk in the courthouse WITH the pistol and they would run the background check,then log your pistol after you got the ok...all in a matter of a few minutes.

Then a few years down the road,it changed to do NOT bring any pistols or ANY weapons what so ever with you to the courthouse.Just come in,get a form,which now can be printed online,fill it out,take it to the courthouse,the Sheriffs office runs a background check,if you have been a good boy,you get it right there.

http://www.luzerneco...CATION 2013.pdf

could us NYers go down there and do that? do you need a PA address? if so would a PO box work? (gotta find EVERY loophole in the system!!! LOL) and would a PA permit be any good up here?

It should work the same as before the only difference will be that you will have to re certify your pistol permit every 5 years. Which from what I have read will basically submitting paper work that verifies all of your information is up to date and will allow the state police to run another background check on you to make sure that you don't have anything that would give them a reason to revoke your permit.

fair enough.. i dont mind the re-certifying every 5 year thing.. yea it costs some money to do but it might be one of the only sensible things in this ridiculous bill... i saw above someone said it took a little over a year.. thats stupid.. wait till 21 to be eligible but wait who knows how long to get it

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it will be a year come March that I applied for a permit & still don,t have it! I am wondering now with the NYsafe act if I will get it. All my referances were notified & done 3 months ago but I still have nothing. I heard that Erie county & the state has a hold on on all permits because of the new law. I wonder if I wanted all the money back that I have invested in it so far if I would get a response from those in charge & if I could get it back? Any ideas out there? RED, have you heard anything about your permit lately?

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• Like 1

Well, it will be a year come March that I applied for a permit & still don,t have it! I am wondering now with the NYsafe act if I will get it. All my referances were notified & done 3 months ago but I still have nothing. I heard that Erie county & the state has a hold on on all permits because of the new law. I wonder if I wanted all the money back that I have invested in it so far if I would get a response from those in charge & if I could get it back? Any ideas out there? RED, have you heard anything about your permit lately?

The safe act should not effect weather or not you get your permit. It should only effect what you can actually buy to have registered on your permit. Also I believe all of your paid fees are non refundable. I would contact your county clerk's office and inquire about the status of your permit stating how long it has been. That is what I did a few weeks ago and was informed that it had been approved and it was overlooked and they forgot to mail me my approval letter.

Edited by noahmstone

To answer a question about getting a license in another state. I own a home in PA and in order to get my PA handgun license, I would have to change my PA house to my permanent residence and also change my Drivers license to PA. I had seriously thought about it, but there are pros and cons to that idea. The big con is it's tax fraud and being that I have 2 kids in the LI school system, I don't think I would attempt to pull it off.

no, and as far as I know, different counties in New York may not allow/recognize the provisions of another counties pistol permit.

Let's keep NYC out of the conversation becasue it will cloud it but if you have a CC permit without restricions it is valid in all of the state (again excluding NYC) I believe a county like Onondaga almost never issues a permit without restrictions now but I can carry everyday there with my NY permit issued from Monroe county becasue I have no restrictions. That is pure BS for c the residents of those counties with authorities that will not issue unrestricted permits.

could us NYers go down there and do that? do you need a PA address? if so would a PO box work? (gotta find EVERY loophole in the system!!! LOL) and would a PA permit be any good up here?

No.Pa permit no good in NY-1 of the few states that don't honor other states permits..NY kinda sucks,lol.

If You Are an Out-Of-State Applicant, You Must Provide Us:

You’re License to Carry a Firearm for Your Home State

And Your Home State Drivers License or Photo ID card

• 1 month later...

erie county     application handed in  april 6th 2012

finger printed april 7th 2012

0ctober 26th 2012  questionaires mailed to me for each of my references  

10 days later they are all filled out notorized and mailed back in.

january - march called the pistol permit office and went down there a few times but the lines and wait were always way to long.

3-11-2013  i called the erie county sherrifs investigator and was told i called the wrong person but they would take all of my info and pass it along to the right person.    2 hrs later i got a call back from a very nice investigator who told me that the buffalo investigator would have my file but she would look and see what she can do and shell call me back the next day 

3-12-2013 the sherrif investigator called me back and gave me the number for the buffalo investigator i called their left a message at 9 am    at 4 pm i called the buffalo investigator again  she had my info in front of her and intervied me over the phone and said that she was all set with me and that she was mailing my application back to the pistol permit office so they can pass it along to the judge and i should have my answer with in 2-3 months.    

Nassau County Pistol Permit

Feb 7 2012- appeared and submitted application.  I received an appointment for fingerprinting and Interview of Oct 15 2012.

Oct. 15 2012- appeared for fingerprinting and interview.  Received 4 referral cards to mail out.

March 20, 2013- Called to find out the status of my permit.  I am told there is a newer law/procedure that will require me to obtain all 4 referral signatures on one card.  That is being mailed to me.  I will update when I have more news.