pistol permit process

I am making this thread to help others find information and timelines on getting their pistol permit, and keep an online record for my self. I thought I had already created a thread like this but can't seem to find it anywhere so maybe I just thought about it and never got around to it. the timeline will not be accurate for everyone in franklin county and fees are subject to change at any time

april 18, 2012: digital fingerprints taken and application submitted

october 8, 2012: call from investigating officer requesting interview and 2 additional references

october 9,2012: interview with investigating officer

pistol permit application fee: $15

fingerprint and background check fee: $105.25

2 passport photos: $10

total: $130.25

More to come pending advancements in permit process.

The process to obtain a pistol permit is fairly easy. The hardest part is waiting and trying to be patient.

my whole process cost me $105 i think and from date i delivered to the date i got the permit was 2 months to the day... after submitting i received a call for my interview where they asked question and took my finger prints. i never heard of submitting your app and taking fingerprints??

i can tell you if you send your character references in all notarized and ready to go it will speed the process since they dont have to waste time and days calling your listed references. i submitted mine with a notarized character reference for each with my app.

Onandaga Cty here....Took about 5 months start to finish, and I think I was close to $170 when it was all said and done. That includes the $30 or $40 cost of the required safety course that I had to take. I understand Onondaga Cty is getting tougher on the wait now, I hear now its sign up for application...wait 6 months...THEN onto the normal procedures.

Im in orange county. I originally got my restricted hunting/target permit in putman county back in 2006 took 4 months after I submitted all the paper work. After I received the permit I submitted a non resident conceal carry permit for the state of CT. after the paperwork was complete (which was less paperwork then for NY) I received the unrestricted conceal carry permit in under 2 months no interviews or references. I moved to Orange County a few years ago and the judge at that time was not giving out unrestricted CC permits at all . 2 months ago I heard the judges changed and I applied for an amendment and had a meeting with the jedge later that same week. He approved my CCP for NYS and I rreceived my new unrestriced permit in the mail 1 week later from the meeting.

Erie co. filled out forms, took pistol permit corse, finger printed, photos, 4 refferances, hand delivered all forms to permit office. This was all done in march 2012 have not heard a thing yet! Also was told not to call & question about it or mine will go to the bottom of the pile,really su#ks!

I put my permit application in on Jan 10th of 2012 and received it 9 weeks later in March of 2012 in Schuyler County and is id full concealed. It was $10 for the application, $10 to have a picture taken, and I think $105 for the finger prints.

Hunter 49, I though there was a law in NYS that the must let you know with in 6 months on you permit.

tompkins county...took 3 months to get my permit....

now here is the part that sucks

when you buy a gun...you can not take it home...you have to take the receipt to the sheriff station...then they mail it to the judge...when he gets time he will approve or denie the purchase....this can take from 2 weeks to 6 months

I bought a gun S&W 460 from gander....took all the paperwork in...it took the judge 4 months to get my coupon back to me....so after I layed 1,000$ on the counter....it was 4 months before I got my coupon to go pick it up

edit to add

all nys pistol permits are concealed...you can NOT open carry

if you are open carrying...you will get a ticket for disturbing the peace

Edited by verminater71

In Albany Co it took me 14 months start to finish and 100 bucks plus. A few years ago I sent a letter to the judge asking for restrictions to be removed . He granted me along with hunting and target to carry hiking and camping as stamped on my amendment.

I was told on the paper work that states to use blue or black ink , if you don't use the proper color you could be denied for not following directions. Not sure if its true or not.

I finished all the paper work in Niagara county 5 weeks ago. Last week my instate references got their interviews and my out of state got theirs a few days later. I have only been here 2 years so they said I needed 2 out of state references. Now I sit and wait...

Each county processes their own permits and as such the costs vary slightly as do the times of processing. I understand there is a hugh backlog of permits right now because of fear of what the elections may bring in November.

In Saratoga County they issue "Hunting and target only" and you must write a letter to the issuing Judge to state your cause for a "non-restricted" license.

There is a process that happens prior to the Judge even seeing your files, prints, background checks, references, mhu check. All that requires time to be researched by the local municipality (local Sheriff's Office) and that depends on their staff levels.

In New York that can vary greatly from county to county..... hope I help shed some light on the process......

• 2 weeks later...

Erie co. filled out forms, took pistol permit corse, finger printed, photos, 4 refferances, hand delivered all forms to permit office. This was all done in march 2012 have not heard a thing yet! Also was told not to call & question about it or mine will go to the bottom of the pile,really su#ks!

this is actualy one of the main reasons i moved out of erie county and bought a house in niagara county.

I think it took 5 week after submitting my application until i had my permit in hand.

Went to gander mountain yesterday to look at 2 pistols I am trying to choose between when I get my permit. They told me it was illegal to even let me hold one unless I was licensed to carry. I thought it was legal as long as you were in the presence of the dealer/ permit holder.

Btw trying to decide between the smith&wesson mp40 and the m&p40c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Every county has their own system and laws. In some counties you MUST buy a pistol before you can even apply for a permit, but most places in the state won't let you even touch a pistol without a license. :fie:

As for me, cost was $340.00 for application fee, and $91.50 for fingerprints. I am not even going to begin telling you about the entire process and paperwork... I will say that NOTHING can be hand written, everything must be typed or printed, and you can't save the .pdf file you must use to fill out the application on your computer.

I applied 7/19/12 and I am going to pick up the license on Monday, 10/29/12. This short time frame is unusual from what I have heard and read.

Licenses here must be renewed every 3 years also, and I hear the application fee is rising to over $400 next year (This application fee must be paid every 3 years with your application renewal).

Also heard rumors they will be banning new purchases of any pistol over .40 caliber.

Oh, and this is for a premises license only, to and from the range, that's it.

I'll give you one guess where this license is valid...

Edited by SteveNY

Got mine sometime in the '80's. No classes to take or other bs,no restrictions ,wife has hers,oldest daughter getting hers,most guys i work with,neighbors etc. full carry.Love Monroe county for that anyway.

Also got Fla. and Utah, permits so I'm good in 38 states .

pre ban mags,black talons God bless America !

Interview, classes, renew ? WTF.....

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

What kind of questions do they ask at the interview ?

Mine was similar to this:

Q: Why do you want a gun? A: Home defense & target shooting.

Q: Where will you store the gun? A: Unloaded, in a locked box or safe, with a trigger lock.

Q: Where will you store the ammo? A: In a different locked box or safe.

Q: Have you ever owned a gun? A: Yes or No, if yes be ready to supply details.

Q: Is your housemate aware you are applying for this permit? A: Yes, he/she has already signed an affidavit to that end or “I live alone.”

Q: Will you be transporting the firearm? A: Yes, to and from the gun range with no stops.

Q: How will you transport the firearm to and from the range? A: Pistol in a locked box, unloaded and trigger locked. Ammunition in a separate container. Both the pistol and the ammo will be carried in a way so as to obscure their presence on my person.

Q: Have you ever been assaulted? A: Yes or No. Provide details and dates if answer is yes.

Q: Has your domicile ever been robbed? A: Yes or No. Provide details and dates if answer is yes.

Q: When is the use of deadly force permissible? A: When someone has broken into my home and has demonstrated their intention to kill myself or someone else in my home.

The key thing to remember is that whenever you are storing or traveling with a firearm, it must be unloaded in a locked container or safe, with a trigger lock, ammunition kept separately.

Edited by SteveNY

The above is so messed up.

where would you store gun ? loaded combat shotgun in closet by front door,loaded handgun on top of kitchen cabnit,loaded handguns in bedroom, one on me.transport it in backpack loaded to and from work.

If I had to go through that bs i'd just buy 'em off a street corner.....or out of state. wink.