Barnes TTSX Recovered From Freezer!

Lawdwaz

I shot a nice doe last year on the opening day of the Pennsylvania deer season. I shot her towards dusk, 200 yards, head on. I had an exceptionally good rest and figured I smack her right engine room.

At the shot she flipped back over on her backside. Basically she disappeared from my view. By the time I got to her it was dark enough that a headlamp a big help. I'm always looking for bullets after the fact and figured that one got into the guts someplace and ended up on the ground, never to be recovered.

I quartered her that night at the farmers son's place then finished her up the next day at home. Well, this afternoon I was slicing up a roast for some stew and looky what I found.

A perfect specimen of a Barnes TTSX. This is a 80gr. 6mm shot out of my 243 Winchester chambered LH Remington 700 CDL.

100% weight retention. Not sure how that happens with the tip missing but I figure the little bit of meat stuck in place makes up for it?? Cool.

I thought it was worthy of some pics........

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

• Like 1

You should send that pic to Barnes and charge them for advertisement!! Looks perfect.

I like when I recover rounds from deer, so you can see how they worked, but you almost never find them.. Good deal. Think you will keep using that TTSX bullet? LOL

Picture perfect performance. Did you happen to weigh it to see how much weight it retained?

DUDE! I mentioned it in the original post, were you just looking at the pictures again? <grin>

100% weight retention. It weighed 80gr, even with the tip MIA. The little bits of remaining flesh must add up to the weight of a little blue tip!!

Lawdwaz... That is SOOOOOOOO cool... That is a great score and momento..

I love to recover spent projectiles... The only Barnes X I have ever recovered was a 250 grain 9.3 MM that I got from an Alaska caribou...It entered through a ham and I recovered it from under the skin on the brisket.

I am sure that Barnes would be happy to see your post.. Great publicity for a great product.

I have killed a number of whitetails with my 7mm08 and my 9.3 x 62 with Barnes bullets and have yet to recover one..I think they may all still be going...hehehehe..

Lawdwaz... That is SOOOOOOOO cool... That is a great score and momento..

I love to recover spent projectiles... The only Barnes X I have ever recovered was a 250 grain 9.3 MM that I got from an Alaska caribou...It entered through a ham and I recovered it from under the skin on the brisket.

I am sure that Barnes would be happy to see your post.. Great publicity for a great product.

I have killed a number of whitetails with my 7mm08 and my 9.3 x 62 with Barnes bullets and have yet to recover one..I think they may all still be going...hehehehe..

I was pretty sure you would like this post! This is the only Barnes I've recovered but I have other makers bullets!

One of my favorites is my Nosler Partition that killed my one & only bull elk. 180gr out of the 300WSM at about 75-100 yards. Entered towards the back of the ribs and lodged under the hide after smashing the right shoulder. Perfect quartering away angle. He dropped on the spot or maybe tumbled a bit. I don't totally recall........

I have some others, ML bullets & deer slugs, even a roundball from the flintlock from a PA deer.

Like you said, a great momento.

Edited by Lawdwaz

I have a 160 7mm Nosler partition that entered an Alaskan bull moose at the brisket and came to rest under the hide behind his left shoulder...Still weighs 106 grains..

I also have a Noexcuses 50 cal. 460 grain that I recovered under the far side of my ONE AND ONLY bull elk's ribcage..A perfect mushroom, and close to 100% weight retention.. COOL STUFF for us ballistic whackos...hehehehe...

I also have a couple of recovered round balls from deer, a few shotgun slugs, Foster, Brenneke and Win BRI sabots, and a couple of the remains of 140 grain 7mm Nosler BTs from my .280 that I recovered from caribou..

Shucks, today I even recovered a few #4 shot from the squirrels I shot this morning..But I didn't keep 'em...hehehe...

• 1 month later...