wound

newbreed

I'm thinking skin infection. Kind of like your dog when it gets a hot spot that goes untreated, they pull all the hair out around it and it looks like hell. Then it gets air and heals up and the hair grows back.

That deer looks healthy otherwise and find it hard to believe that a coyote would waste its time and energy on him.

Look at his neck. He has lumps on it like fly larva’s under the skin (a pocket of fly egg's) as you see on cow's some time. When the pocket of eggs hatch it makes a flesh wound kind of like a pimple on a human. Now you have an open sore and maggots. I am thinking this guy's rear end is being eating buy these maggots, it is irritating and that is why he is trying to lick his rear end. If my thoughts are wrong then I would go with the yote thoughts.

• Like 1

Look at his neck. He has lumps on it like fly larva’s under the skin (a pocket of fly egg's) as you see on cow's some time. When the pocket of eggs hatch it makes a flesh wound kind of like a pimple on a human. Now you have an open sore and maggots. I am thinking this guy's rear end is being eating buy these maggots, it is irritating and that is why he is trying to lick his rear end. If my thoughts are wrong then I would go with the yote thoughts.

Maggots only eat dead tissue. Usually, a secondary after an injury. So back to the question, what caused the injury?

Maggots only eat dead tissue. Usually, a secondary after an injury. So back to the question, what caused the injury?

Maggots only eat dead tissue is incorrect. Being an upstate farmer I know this for a fact. Having lost 2 baby calves in the past 3 years due to maggots eating around the tail area of the calf and going into the rectum eating them internally. We tried to save them both with treatments but they one lasted about a week before they expired. I still believe maggots are a factor here.

He may have taken a hit from a vehicle or been shot. I doubt a coyote is going after a 1.5 year old deer unless the deer was in snow, sick or injured. Or it was late winter and the coyote was starving. Too many easier meals this time of year. The coyote has nill chance and would not waste the energy.

• Like 1