do fawns go in heat?

DanielT

You are referring to two distinctly, seperate age classes of female deer. Fawns were born this year and are ~5-6 months old. Yearlings are typically referred to as 1 1/2 year old does. This is generally their 1st go around with being in estrus & breeding. Have read where early born & well feed fawns could breed the same year, but a rarity.

• Like 2

Anyone ever hear of sterility issues in deer twins when a doe and buck are born together (and I assume from the same father) Like is an issue in cows?

Its called a freemartin i believe when you talk about cows and i know it has never happened on my farm or have i ever heard of it on other farms when you talk of deer!

I remembered that it happened with dairy cows but hadnt heard of it in whitetails. Thanks......have you seen anything in a study on the frequency of identical twins vs fraternal twins in deer? I am would guess fraternal are majority but do identical happen?

Not sure on that one but i do know dna testing has shown does giving birth to twins with two different sires! Thats behind wire. In the wild i guess it could happen if you had enough bucks. I know this past weekend for me if the one doe that was being drove nuts by the four yearlings chasin her would have been in season and would have stopped, She might have had four payin child support.

• 7 years later...

Zombie Thread!! But i was just searching this because the doe I shot yesterday was 91lbs dressed so I'm thinking 1.5 but she was full of milk and had a fawn with her. Maybe from the second rut last year. I will check her teeth and verify 1.5. I know a doe may pick up an orphaned fawn but would she have milk?

Zombie Thread!! But i was just searching this because the doe I shot yesterday was 91lbs dressed so I'm thinking 1.5 but she was full of milk and had a fawn with her. Maybe from the second rut last year. I will check her teeth and verify 1.5. I know a doe may pick up an orphaned fawn but would she have milk?

Making cheese?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

IRC, read somewhere that Whitetail Biologist claim whitetails are not capable of having identical twins. They stated that each separate embryo (ie; egg or zygote) is fertilized and deer can't have a single fertilized embryo separate into genetically identical twins, like in humans...!?! Making all fawns fraternal twins with one or possibly many ... eager donors.

Puts a whole new light on ... Who's your daddy when looking at twin fawns? A spike, a 10pt or both??

On 11/24/2019 at 12:43 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

if she nursed a fawn then yes. later in the season though milk might not be readily apparent. you would have had to cut open the udder. they start drying out with the rut/breeding. lower jaw will would tell you for certain if she was fawn, yearling, or even 2.5 yr old doe. a yearling doe may have birthed a fawn earlier in the year but didn't do what she had to to keep it alive. then she'd be dry. milk would only tell you more or less recruitment.

• Like 1