Road-kill

Doc

Is anybody else noticing a huge increase in road-killed deer this year. I realize that the road-kill goes up around fawning season, but even considering that, it seems that the over all numbers of dead deer along the highway are way up from any year I have seen previously. We just might be looking at a bumper crop of deer this year.

Doc

This time of year, the big-mommas are having their fawns. Last year's fawns are now kicked out on their own for a while ........ first time in their lives. They seem to be running around without a clue and some of them get whacked. I think some of those old goats get whacked because they are trying to keep up with their fawns which don't know what the heck is going on yet. The other day, I was coming down our driveway and a doe and fawn took off. The doe was following the fawn which was heading right for the highway. Sure enough, the fawn ran right across the road with the doe right after it. Fortunately there were no cars coming ...... this time.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Talked to the insurance agent about that a month ago...when the dodge received over 9,000 worth of damage from a 3pm deer hit....Ya he said #'s were a tad higher than usual

So maybe we have to do our civic duty and take out a bunch of them this year....lol.

Doc

Each May I see a fair number of road kill on rt's 104 and 590, as well as 490 around Victor.

Like what was said, without the guys picking them up for the state, this year lay just lay there .

So  on 490, I drive it a few times a month. Before the deer would be gone in a couple days and I may never see them. Now they lay for weeks and I see everyone hit in the last month.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in law is a VP for GEICO, I asked him to get me their statistics concerning reported deer collisions/claims in NY for 2009. I will post them. You would think that law enforcement records would also be readily available. I am sure that the DEC uses such records as part of their deer management program.

My brother in law is a VP for GEICO, I asked him to get me their statistics concerning reported deer collisions/claims in NY for 2009. I will post them. You would think that law enforcement records would also be readily available. I am sure that the DEC uses such records as part of their deer management program.

That will be some very interesting info.