What year did....

Grizz1219

They make the law surise to sunset for deer hunting.... Buddy and I are "discussing" it... I've said it has been like that for years and years... He said he thought it changed within the past 7 years... Any thoughts????

Deer has always been sunrise till sunset for the 17 years I have been hunting.

Turkey hunting has the odd hours, and crow has the odd days.

In 1996 , Sunday was permitted for 3 sundays during deer season ,then within 5 years All sunday hunting was allowed except on designated lands. ( from the NRA website) I thought that it was earlier , there are still 11 states with no Sunday hunting.

I think that goose and duck are one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sun set.

BEEEEEEEEPPPPPPP, wrong answer..........

2012-13 Waterfowl Seasons

Shooting Hours: one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.

Non-toxic Shot: Required

Season Zones: Most waterfowl seasons are set based on five waterfowl hunting zones that have been approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

NOTE: (1) The following hunting season dates have been finalized. Be sure to check all regulations before going hunting; and (2) You must register with HIP to hunt any of these species.

I wish it was a half hour after, you should see the ducks pile in then!!!

No dice though.

at one time it was 7a-5p. this changed sometime in the mid 60's. should go back to that, it was easier to keep track of imo. i left nys in 1991 and there was no sunday big game hunting in the southern zone, came back in 2002 and there was sunday hunting.

When did you leave NY becasue a lot of the SZ has had Sunday hunting at least since the early 60's

When I started hunting in the early 60s it was 7 AM- 5 PM for deer and small game. I can remember it being pretty darn dark by the end of legal shooting hours late in the deer season.

I can't remember when it changed to sunrise-sunset, but I believe it was still 7AM-5 PM in the early 70s.

Waterfowl was sunrise-sunset in the 60s. It changed to 1/2 hr before sunrise-sunset sometime in the 70s I believe. Before it changed it was tough watching the ducks fly over before legal shooting time. Often someone opened up early, and then all bets were off !

Mid 90s sounds about right for Sunday hunting of deer and pheasants, at least here in Steuben County. I sympathized with people who had limited time to hunt ( I always took vacation) but it was kind of handy to have Sundays "off" . That was when we slept in a little and cut up the deer we shot the previous week.

Sits... Some locals most EVERYWHERE think that..

Also, some of the flatlanders who have camps here think that..

So what else is new ? There are always some folks out here who don't give a s**t about the regs...

At my age I don't worry about it too much anymore..Hasn't changed too much in the last 50 years or so..