Problem with my Rage Broadheads

newbreed

This year i decided i woudl try rage broad heads so i bought a pack of chisel 2 bladed. i have been practiceing quite a bit shooting this year to the point that my father said he has never seen me shoot this good ever, i was shooting from 10-45v yards useing the practice tip that comes with the broadheads, i was under the impression that i didnt have to shoot the actual broadheads cause the practice tip was exactly the same, boy was i wrong, yester day evening 10-28-2012 i was hunting a field edge when at 5:45 a nice 8 point stepped out nothing huge probably 90-100 inches i was all ready relaxed and ready to shoot the deer stepped out to 28 yards...i know this cause i range found him, i pulled back setteled the pin and let her fly.......only to watch my lighted knock miss the deer by about 2 feet left and short. i start woundering what could have happened so i get down head up to the house set the target up knock another rage broad head settle the pin and letter fly....miss 2 feet left and short again....now im really confused so i grab my practice tip rage pull her back let her fly....wouldent ya know bullseye deadon, i pull it our shoot again, dead on, i take my 3rd broad head and shoot...miss 2 feet low and left....what a wast of money these were, and yes i know i shoudl have shot the actual broad head before but i thought that by shooting them i could dammge them cause they are prettty flimsy. so i guess my lesson is learned. the only good to come from the story is that i missed the deer complety and didnt gut shot or ass shot or high back shoot him, so ill have to kill him another day.,..

That's precisely the reason that I junk the practice tips. I always sacrifice a broadhead and practice with it. I don't shoot rage broadheads, only fixed blade muzzys.

I sometimes sharpen the practice blades with a file and whetstone and keep it with me for small game(fox,coyotes,turkeys).

It sounds like your sharp broadheads were grouping consistantly! You should be ok for this season if you sight in with a new one.

My dad lost a 6pt. shot with the rage 2-blade. It bled good for a while, then blood dried up. I won't use them.

cool ill check that out, im at work right now so cant watch video.....the only thing i was coming up with is that maybe they were opening as i shot and now when they hit. who know but like i said at least no deer was wounded just a straight up bad shot.

How to you get the arrows out? I shot one of my broadheads into a hay target and it got lodge in the hay so bad, I had to take a knife to the the hay around my arrow to get it out. Now that block of hay has a big hole in it. Lucky for me, there was no one else there at the range. I used a Montec G5 broadhead.

I used the Rage practice heads and then used one of the real broad heads. They flew the same. I even broke a knock off of an arrow that was in the target, when the broad head hit it. Who knows. But I think its a good idea to sacrifice one of your brad heads to make sure they fly good.

I guess what ill do is just buy a bunch of O rings and maybe shock collers and use one Broadhead to sight in maybe once thats good ill maybe shoot one other one to make sure we repeat then i shoud be good to go.......hopefully. it was just a total drain of confidence to have that happen

Probably not what you want to hear, but my rage shoot the same as FP and practice head. I am not sure I would re-sight for just that broadhead. Might be better to find one that flies like your FPs. I have also had good success with G5s. Just a newbie's opinion, but sighting for a single broadhead that flies that much differently than your FPs will screw it up for FP practice and other broadheads.

Edited by moog5050

Good luck. myself fixed 2 blade Mangus cut on contact, shoots same as a field points, as all broadheads should, no moving parts, o rings ect., deer hardly feel them most run a few steps, stop,then fall over in a bit .

Pull it out of the dirt wash it off,run it over a stone, strop, kill the next one.

Arent mechanicals supposed to make it so you dont have to "broadhead tune" your bow? My G5 Montecs fly exactly the same as my field points. If your bow is tuned properly, thats the result you will get with any broadhead except for some of the large 2 blade designs that can be prone to planing.

That is my understanding . It eliminates the need to tune anything .

• Like 1

I never even shoot the practice heads, ever... I shoot my field tips when I practice. Those heads fly exactly like my field tips there is no difference what's so ever. I tend to blame myself unlike most guys who blame their equipment first. Could be possible you bumped your bow in the field. I've never heard of missing a target by 2 feet right after you sighted in with the practice heads, kind of suspect.

My Rage broadheads shoot exactly like the practice heads and my fieldpoints, 100%. The one and only time I had a broadhead shoot 2' off was because I was using a worn O ring and the blades were deploying in flight. I use to have a quiver and my blades kept opening on that one broadhead that I had problems with. I just kept snapping them back into place, not realizing I was just causing damage to the O ring. The O ring must be new and not cracked, used, or worn in order to lock the blades in place during flight. If you open the blades, then keep snapping them shut, it makes micro tears/cuts in the O rings and weakens them.