State Land Hunter numbers?

sits in trees

Things have been alittle on the quiet side on my property so we decided to head for the wide open expanses of nearby stateland, and we were shocked to see the lack of hunters. In a Parking area where i usually see 5 or 6 pickup trucks i saw only one? What is up. Could this be something to do with the storm or are hunter numbers really getting that small, or has the economy finally hit hunters?

I'm only on my 3rd season, but numbers seem to be lower on 8G state and federal land. Yesterday was very quiet in particular. I think it's a self-perpetuating problem. Guys see less deer when fewer hunters are moving them, so fewer hunters want to come out because they're seeing less deer. Makes sense I guess. How do we fix it ???

• Like 1

After a brutal morning sitting in the wind and snow yesterday, I went with a small group to do some drives to fill a few doe tags. We went to the Brookfield statelands, and only saw two older gentlemen trying to fill their doe tags. We set them right up in a couple of traditional escape routes, and they both got nice does to complete their seasons. You would have thought we gave them a million dollars they were so happy about us letting them sit on our drive.

The group I went with filled all four doe tags they needed filled for that unit, and even shot a bonus eight point buck. Although I am not much of a drive hunter, I don't mind helping guys out late in the season, or on days when the weather is so nasty. I always walk because I like to see people bag their deer, and truthfully, I don't care if I shoot any with a gun or not.

Number of hunters continues to drop in this area. After the first day, the roadside parking is almost non-existant. Mostly groups of hunters just pushing the woods day after day. I just think that people have put deer hunting a lot farthur down their list of priorites, or have just quit because they are too afraid to find new places to hunt after their farm they hunted forever gets sold.

• Like 3

Aside from a little rally before legal light on opening day, the state land near me went deafeningly quiet. It was unreal, and I'm sure there are still some deer around that don't even realize there's a season in progress. For the last several years, I have been of the impression that there are a few things afoot in that regard. First of all, I believe that almost all hunters take a stand and just sit there until they are bored enough and then go home. With all the modern cold-weather clothing, nobody gets cold anymore or starts walking, moving deer.

Second, I believe that hunters today lack a lot of enthusiasm and have become part-time hunters, often leaving the woods at noon and may or may not return after lunch or even the rest of the season.

And third, specifically as regards state land, I do believe that many hunters have just been scared to death by the horror stories regarding hunting safety on public lands. The stories are favorite mythology, and they seem to grow in scariness each time they are told. I know several people who will not hunt state land because they have been convinced that it is unsafe and yet will hunt some heavily hunter infested private land where there are drives and all kinds of random scarey shots and 5-shot volleys going on. The unsafe state land theory has been over-sold.

Fourth, there probably are some parcels of state land that have truly been over-harvested in previous years and hunters get frustrated and go elsewhere. And then there was this year when there were absolutely no acorns or apples. That sure has made a lot of people believe that there's not a deer left in the valley ..... lol.

Whatever the reasons, I have noticed a distinct change in recent years and hopefully there will come a time when deer populations and ages begin to increase because of it.

Opening day there 9 trucks parked around me at a piece of state land. On thanks giving I tried a different spot letchworth and only seen 4 vehicles. And yesterday I went back to the same state land from opening day and there was 7 trucks. People are hitting thestateland hard in freedomom/centerville

Edited by Red

I used to hunt state land often prior to learning to bow hunt. The lands I shotgun hunted were also open to hiker, biker, and everything else you can do outdoors. Having to share the woods with others was one reason people voiced frustration when I was hunting those state properties. I did not mind it so much since I hunt deep and likes when games was gently nudged by mountin bikers. What lathered me was how unaware, and as a result, unsafe these "other" were..never any brightl colored clothing and no idea hunting was taking place.

After a brutal morning sitting in the wind and snow yesterday, I went with a small group to do some drives to fill a few doe tags. We went to the Brookfield statelands, and only saw two older gentlemen trying to fill their doe tags. We set them right up in a couple of traditional escape routes, and they both got nice does to complete their seasons. You would have thought we gave them a million dollars they were so happy about us letting them sit on our drive.

My hats off to you and your group. Great sportmanship !