Soooo what have you been...

growalot

Seeing as far as fat on the deer this year....

My Oct 12 doe was so loaded it was a tad gross...The Nov.18th Buck had NO fat...Nothing...still trying to figure that one out...not even up along the back on the inside...just a thick mucus slim...hard to describe.... over the muscle and a lot of connective tissue

I noticed the same thing, Growie..

The buck I shot opening day ( a 1.5 year old 6 point) had practically NO fat, even though his stomach was full of corn.

The adult doe I shot today in PA was larded up pretty good with fat.

A friend of mine has a deer cutting operation here near Addison. I was up at his place a few days ago and I noticed quite a few deer hanging that had very little fat..

Not sure what's going on....

No fat on my bow buck, nov 3rd 7pt 2.5 year old. and no fat on my 7pt gun nov19th 2.5 year old. bear was loaded with fat as well as worms... Had 0 mast crop this yeard hard or soft, deer had 5 acres of corn cleaned out by end of october.. all the stomach contents have been greens(i assume some have been my turnip tops...

Does will tend to be fatter as they spend the winter pregnant. Bucks that run does constantly, tend to burn off the fat. After the rut, they eat like crazy to replenish the stores. That is why I tend to hunt the food supplies harder this time of year.

I don't think I have ever run across a fatty buck, and I cut up a lot. Fatty doe, that's pretty common. This years doe had a good thick layer of fat, with it hiding throughout the meat. Also hunting the food supplies. Still after that 200 lb. doe. Bet she's got a lot of fat.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Deer (and bears) pack on as much fat as possible in the fall, the further north and the colder the winter is, the more they try to compensate.

As bubba mentioned, a buck that's been fighting & chasing does for a couple months will be almost fatless. I have seen bucks with a lot of fat on their bodies, but this was usually in early archery season.

When I was a young ruttin buck I use to be thin to. I got married and stopped chasing does and now im fallin apart and got plenty of fat up my backside. :taunt:

Thats why now is a good time to switch from hunting doe's to hitting the food sources again. Bucks that dont fatten up soon on some good eats are doomed.

Edited by erussell