Whats a Big NY Buck? Whats an Average NY Buck?

TheHunter

Fingerlake deer are great tasting also!!!!! Great variety of forage for them packed with nutrients. We often see with our scouting cams a 140+ buck every year. My brother shot a 137 two years ago, 3 year old deer that was awesome!

Biggest bucks ever recorded in the state were shot in Allegany County in 1939.

Here is my garage, some of the bucks I shot that I didn't get mounted. None of them are huge, but I was happy to take each and every one. They are "average" bucks in my opinion.

Here is one taken by my buddy's son, outside of Wellsville in 2008. Scored just shy of 160, gross. Now that is big for our area. Anything over 120 is big, here.

post-480-131455304907_thumb.jpg

post-480-131455304929_thumb.jpg

post-480-131455304947_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

id say on average  bucks in the high 120s is usually a VERY NICE deer in NY.

there are quite a few that have multiple chances year in year out at deer over 150.

whats a trohpy for one may not be for another.

a big deer is in the eye of the beholder...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me a buck that goes 90-120 would be a good average deer. 120-150 would be a great deer and 150+ would be a monster but im not holding my breath.

That being said you hunt in the ADKs and don't expect to see those upper end #s. I am more concerned with weight up there looking for 200+ lbs.

I know a guy with 44 ADK bucks to his name all but 4 make P&Y if my memory serves me correctly. But no absolute monsters. He shot all of them with a rifle while tracking them - like the Benoits. Except hes been doing it since the Benoits were in diapers.

For me a buck that goes 90-120 would be a good average deer. 120-150 would be a great deer and 150+ would be a monster but im not holding my breath.

That being said you hunt in the ADKs and don't expect to see those upper end #s. I am more concerned with weight up there looking for 200+ lbs.

I know a guy with 44 ADK bucks to his name all but 4 make P&Y if my memory serves me correctly. But no absolute monsters. He shot all of them with a rifle while tracking them - like the Benoits. Except hes been doing it since the Benoits were in diapers.

How does a rifle kill make P&Y, do you mean they would make P&Y if they were killed with a bow?  Just teasing...I knew what you meant.