Sweeney Crossbow Bill A10583A

Tinlodge

If the governor had signed it there would be no crossbows except during gun season, and no early youth hunts. Now we need to go back and pass a clean bill authorizing the crossbow as a legal hunting implement, and leaving the regulatory authority with the DEC where it belongs.

If the governor had signed it there would be no crossbows except during gun season, and no early youth hunts. Now we need to go back and pass a clean bill authorizing the crossbow as a legal hunting implement, and leaving the regulatory authority with the DEC where it belongs.

Sounds like great news! Awesome tshirt by the way, thanks!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

We are moving forward into 2013 prepared to pick up where we left off last year. We have commitments from Senator Gallivan and Assemblyman Ryan to introduce legislation that will expand the crossbow use to more than firearms and late muzzleloader seasons. They will be working on the drafting of this in the next few weeks and we will let everyone know when they are ready to introduce it.

What needs to happen is for everyone that supports crossbows to go to our web page and join NYCC. We need the support of everyone both in numbers and with the membership dues to help us make sure this happens.

I will check your site out Tinlodge....never shot a crossbow in my 30 years of hunting but some of us guys pushing 50 are getting tired of the compounds...was even thinking about hanging up the bow and strictly gun hunting but i know i will miss hunting in Oct so tell me the advantages of xbows over compounds

• Like 1

This is what aggravates me about governtment. Why does the youth hunt have to be put into this bill anyway. They are 2 seperate issues. Does this veto mean no crossbow at all now? I have no problem with crossbows during gun season but not really keen on use during bow season but thats beside the point.

This is what aggravates me about governtment. Why does the youth hunt have to be put into this bill anyway. They are 2 seperate issues. Does this veto mean no crossbow at all now? I have no problem with crossbows during gun season but not really keen on use during bow season but thats beside the point.

I agree, I would have supported the bill if it would not have also eliminated the youth hunt, instead I wrote the Governor asking him to veto it. I also cancelled my membership to NY Bowhunter's for the very same reason......I'm a very strong supporter of any youth hunts.

I agree, I would have supported the bill if it would not have also eliminated the youth hunt, instead I wrote the Governor asking him to veto it. I also cancelled my membership to NY Bowhunter's for the very same reason......I'm a very strong supporter of any youth hunts.

I'm all for the youth hunt too but I do think the timing could have been better. I think a better Idea would be to shorten the bow season by a weekend and have a youth only weekend. Putting youth hunters with guns in the woods at the same time we are in full camo just doesnt make sense to me. As a bowhunter thats been away from the sport for 10+ years or so and just returned at the beginning of this past season I am not familiar with the stance of NY Bowhunters. Did they want to eliminate the youth season all together?

agreed times 3. but you will find that NYB have changed their stance on youth hunt. Some say this is them realizing they lost, others would say compromise. Removing this current bill from the discussion the gov't is always combining sh!t in bills where I may agree with some but not all. Wondering if sandy hill affected this at all, however if they eventually pass xbow during archery, I dont really believe it will add new hunters, only simply add some current gun hunters to the archery season. If (for arguments sakes) the state felt this was going to limit gun hunting then they're really more idiotic then we thought.

I'm all for the youth hunt too but I do think the timing could have been better. I think a better Idea would be to shorten the bow season by a weekend and have a youth only weekend. Putting youth hunters with guns in the woods at the same time we are in full camo just doesnt make sense to me. As a bowhunter thats been away from the sport for 10+ years or so and just returned at the beginning of this past season I am not familiar with the stance of NY Bowhunters. Did they want to eliminate the youth season all together?

the wording in the bill made it so no guns or crossbows would be allowed during the archery season, that would have blocked any youth gun hunt during the archery season......I think the safety issue was one of the loudest arguments against the youth hunt, and it turned out that it was a non-issue.

Thankfully the Governor, or whoever whispered in his ear, was able to see through what NY Bowhunter's was trying to backdoor with the crossbow extension bill.......I have mixed feeling's about whether or not crossbow's should be used during regular archery season for able bodied hunter's, but think they should be legal implements for elderly or those who can't use conventional archery tackle .NY Bowhunter's, the best membership I ever cancelled.