Unbelievable... but not really.

ahh whats the differance they are going to starve us out of ammo next. so even if we did want to try and defend ourselves from a government gone wild the emmo supplies would dwindle quickly. yea i know some of you might have stockpiled 10k rounds of .223 but even that is only a drop in the bucket, when my oldman fought in ww2 Stalingrad n he said it wasnt uncommon to shoot 300 rounds before breakfast and that was with a bolt gun...

From the actual article:

Anyone can find out the names and addresses of handgun owners in any county with a simple Freedom of Information Law request, and the state’s top public records expert told The Journal News last week that he thinks the law does not bar the release of other details. But officials in county clerk’s offices in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam maintain the public does not have a right to see such things as the specific permits an individual has been issued, the types of handguns a person possesses or the number of guns he or she owns — whether one or a dozen.

Law Enforcement doesn't have the same kind of permit. Also, a private organization made that map, you'd have to ask them why they excluded some addresses, if they did.

Edited by Sogaard

And this is interesting, its actually MORE private now than it use to be. Once again, quoting from the article:

Access to information provided on pistol-license applications — such as the permit type, models of guns purchased and number of weapons owned — changed in 1994 when the state Legislature rewrote sections of the penal law covering licensure.Before the amendment, the law said “the application for any license, if granted, shall be a public record.” The law now reads “the name and address of any person to whom an application for any license has been granted shall be a public record.” Many counties have interpreted that to mean any information beyond names and addresses is barred from public release.

I'm not debating the fact that this information is available is good or bad . I'm saying it has always been available and this is nothing new. Some of the people who posted on this thread clearly did not know that.

Your last post has nothing to do with anything relevant to the topic.

I'm saying it has always been available and this is nothing new.

And you are absolutely correct, pointing out yet another invasion of the privacy of law abiding citizens due to firearms registration. Just another slap at decent people that the registration fanatics want to expand into long guns.

Not relevant? I would disagree with that. His last post is relevant. I think it would be more important to know if a convicted killer, mugger or rapist is living nearby. The question is....Is that data available under FOIL?

Edited by Mr VJP

From the actual article:

Anyone can find out the names and addresses of handgun owners in any county with a simple Freedom of Information Law request, and the state’s top public records expert told The Journal News last week that he thinks the law does not bar the release of other details. But officials in county clerk’s offices in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam maintain the public does not have a right to see such things as the specific permits an individual has been issued, the types of handguns a person possesses or the number of guns he or she owns — whether one or a dozen.

Law Enforcement doesn't have the same kind of permit. Also, a private organization made that map, you'd have to ask them why they excluded some addresses, if they did.

Not accurate. I've been registered for a year and a half and I'm not listed and I have friends who aren't listen either.

Kind of makes you wonder if the database is as bogus and full of errors too. Ha-ha ..... I wonder if they have people listed that don't have guns. I wouldn't be surprised. Typical bureacracy ...... messed up. If so, what good is it?