Friend Inherits Guns

A friend of mine, who is in his 70s, recently had a good friend of his pass away.

The other day the deceased gent's widow called my friend, and told him that her husband, who was an avid hunter, wanted HIM to have his firearms after he died.

They are not junk, either...As I remember, he told that he aquired a Winchester over/under( probaby a 101 or a 96), an Ithaca over/under( probably an SKB) a 20 gauge Ithaca pump ( no doubt a M37) an Ithaca lever action .22 rimfire repeater, and a Belgium Browning 30-06 with a vintage Redfield scope (probably a High Power Safari Grade)...My friend has invited me down to inspect his new treasures, and I'm looking forward to checking them out and find out just exactly what they are.<<DROOL>>....

The ironic thing is, my buddy seldom hunts or shoots.

What a score!! Stuff like that never happens to me. Back in the late 80's the grandfather of a guy I worked with, died and left the guy his guns.. A few weeks later I found out that the grandson (who was in no way into guns) sold the guns to another guy at work. I cornered the buyer and he ended up showing me the guns he bought. Two old -OLD! Winchester 94's ( a 30-30 and a 32 Win. special) an old nickel plated Winchester model 12 in 16 Gauge and an old Winchester double barrel 12 gauge, I don't recall the model # on that one. These guns were in beautiful condition. I can still see them. The guy paid the whopping total of $400.00 for all of them.

It pissed me right off.

I could share some good stories about lucking into guns!

Remember Dan, half of what the gun shop would offer is a good place to start!

A couple few years ago I saw two guys pushing two shopping carts full of guns inside of Ga der Mt. I stopped them and said WTH? Seems a buddy croaked and they were helping out his widow. Hell at that point I almost croaked. I'm sure they got a major league hosing on that deal......

If they were still outside I would have asked to take a look.

Wait a minute, is this the same guy that already has the SKB side by side? Some guys have all the luck

No Doe, I have the SKB side/side..I do have a buddy who has a mint SKB O/U that he bought (stole) for $400 from a widow, but he's the kind of guy who NEVER sells ANYTHING..The SKB sits in his gun cabinet and he hunts with an 870 express and a cheap POS Brazilian made .410 side /side.

Not really, 26" barrels are pretty much standard for double guns choked IC/Mod. I just recall Beretta selling an OU back in the 60s named " The Silver Snipe", which had a silver colored reciever, and a "Golden Snipe" which was somewhat more expensive and had, (guess what ? ) a GOLD colored reciever. Then, as now, Beretta made a quality shotgun.

They probably made other models too..I'll have to check my 1963 "Shooter's Bible"....<<grin>>....

So now you guys got me to google for pics of the silver snipe model. None that I was able to find have as good engraving on the receiver as on mine, however.

Well anyway, maybe when it's my turn to go to the happy hunting grounds I may hand it down to one of you guys if you are nice. LOL A few here sure as hell won't get it, though. You are free to PM me to see if you are eligible or not. LOL

There were several different Beretta O/U shotguns manufactured bewteen 1955 and 1967, according to my Blue Book..

In any case, it is a quality shotgun and I am envious...

I think that Doewhacker is also envious, and since rumor has it that he is your illegimate son, I think it is only proper that you will it to him..

Doe...You can send me the check anytime..Glad to help...

If your inheritance is slow in coming, perhaps you can invite Steve on a hunting trip...

I'd suggest a quail hunt with Dick Cheney...

So now you guys got me to google for pics of the silver snipe model. None that I was able to find have as good engraving on the receiver as on mine, however.

Well anyway, maybe when it's my turn to go to the happy hunting grounds I may hand it down to one of you guys if you are nice. LOL A few here sure as hell won't get it, though. You are free to PM me to see if you are eligible or not. LOL

That gun is mine for all the trouble you and Doe have caused on my land!! lol