Feeding Deer not for Hunting

Guns&ReligionCop

I've noticed the deer have been coming into my lawn and destorying anything that was ever green or will ever be green looking for a snack. I know you can't feed deer in NY but if someone had happend to spill a little feed out every other day or so do you think it would keep the deer from completely decimating the flowers, shrubs etc... or just draw more deer in? Mind you I live in town surround by neighbors on my property of less than an acre. My garden is already fenced but I have no plans of fencing in my entire lawn to protect the shrubs and flowers. THIS NOT ATTEMPT TO POACH!!!! and has nothing deer with hunting.

Edited by Guns&ReligionCop

as i found out the hard way.................. the RULES are put forth by those that make the rules. the rules are meant to be followed ie: guidelines. in short when you do it (break the rules) you will be judged by your peer's and others's. Rules are Rules and you pretty much answered your own question........... just my VERY HUMBLE 2 cent's..

in regards to my 1st responce i will say this. pics where taken of several deer with a salt lick in place. pics where taken long before legal hunting season. I DO NOT BAIT but because of a law that IS NOT in your average rule and guide booklet i found out that I WAS WRONG. sorry for the caps but i just wanted to make it clear that even the most law abiding person can still be in the wrong. best of luck to you with this VERY VERY touchy subject.

Yes I understand the rules hence stating so but this has nothing to do with the rules if you read this again. I was looking into detracting deer not attracting. I don't know if it has been because of the last couple of snow falls or has it been a tough season but they have been swarming these last few weeks

Once upon a time feeding deer was perfectly legal and widely accepted in NY.

It wasn't uncommon to see a corn pile and salt block behind any homeowners yard just inside the woodline.

Nobody around these parts ever had much problem with deer eating their ornamentals. A simple chicken wire cage was enough of a deterrent to hold the deer to the feed piles which provided easy access, more desireable eats, and preferred locations back in the sticks. So yes, to answer your question, you could deter them from destroying your residential garden by providing supplemental feed at a time like this.

Deer are browsers and your plants are brows so they will eat them. A pile of corn will do nothing for the deer they will eat the corn but it has very little to none of nutritional value. A deer could starve to death with a belly full of corn. You would need to provide something with a little substance. But then you would draw in deer from miles around with mature doe and bucks getting most of the food leading to higher fawn mortality. And yes they will eat whatever you put out and still eat your plants. Only way to keep damage to a minimum is population control. If you dont do it they will do it to themselves by eating all available food and starving to death.

And not to forget to mention if you get caught in the end it will be around 500 dollar fine after court fees and all the other expenses.

Edited by erussell

As most of you have seen I have a large garden area...fenced in to 6ft high....this area is surrounded by food plots....the garden has a steel tubing stock fence that I wire shut....the deer routinely break the gate free of the wire and go into eat my blue berry bushes and the ends of the grape vines plus the clover growing between them...just yesterday I found it again....but need to shovel snow away to now chain the thing shut.....Sometimes they are no different than goats....always greener on the other side....burlap works well.. ;)

Go ahead and feed them . You will probably still be able to post here from your Jail cell . B)

Some of the farm market stores sell Coyote Pee > I bought a bottle at Aman's Farm Market in Irondequoit a few years ago . An 8 oz bottle cost me $8 . It worked . I shared it with another person as I wasn't sure how long it would last .

Hang a few cloths on some plants and every 3 - 4 days put some of the coyote pee on the cloths . Tampons actually work better but could be considered unsightly .

The feeding ban law currently on the books has a Sullivan County ruling against it. It has been found unconstitutional based off the first amendment freedom of expression. The ban in Sullivan County is no longer in effect based off the ruling. The law is still on the books throughout NYS but now that there is a ruling against it he won't be posting from a jail cell and most likely wont even have a ticket in hand. In fact, I may throw a corn pile and bale of hay out this afternoon.

Thank you to the few that actually gave an answer to the question and didn't go on about what the law states I'll see you in jail etc... For of those you who can actually comprehend what they read they will see that this was a question of how the deer would act and that no action was actually being taken just curious what peoples opinions on the matter are. The other day 2 doe actually came up on my deck and went over to my wifes covered up plants, uncovered them and ate her flowers. When I pulled in the driveway after work they wouldn't even bother getting off the deck and looked at me like I was a inconvience to them while trying to get in my house. Next time for you that lack all comprehension skill I will start it off by saying HYPOTHECIAL ONLY because of the "I know you can't feed deer in NY"

"THIS NOT ATTEMPT TO POACH!!!!" Comments were not even for you to figure this out on your own.

As for the bird feeder mine was destroyed by the squirrels!

and dear Paula if you want to call the Putnam Sheriff I'll give you a hand the Deputy covering my neighborhood tonights name is Pete he knows exactly where to go ;)

.........this was a question of how the deer would act ......

I think I could make a pretty good guess how the deer would react " if someone had happened to spill a little feed out every other day or so". I have read stories about the little old lady in the Adirondacks that decided to feed the deer. Eventually, she had well over 100 deer coming daily to her feeder to the point where she could no longer feed them all. Plus they cleaned her entire yard of any living vegetation. I think that is what you might expect .... lol.

Apparently there must be some kind of communication system that the deer have when a source of food shows up in the neighborhood. The crowd just keeps growing and growing until you just can't afford to keep up with them. And then the mob of additional deer wipe out your greenery and poop on your yard. Nope, you cannot bribe the deer to leave you alone ..... it just doesn't work ..... lol.

and dear Paula if you want to call the Putnam Sheriff I'll give you a hand the Deputy covering my neighborhood tonights name is Pete he knows exactly where to go ;)

Ha Ha I thought no one seen what i said so figured you would skip right over it also. I know you would not have done anything wrong :kiss:

G&R ---Sorry you got your panties in a Knot about the "jail time" . Apparently either you didn't see the smiley face or lack a sense of humor .

As for keeping deer out of the plants , the Coyote Pee I mentioned works . I thought you were looking for a solution of keeping the deer away . Apparently I was wrong !

...... I know you can't feed deer in NY ....

What's the problem then? What part of NO don't you understand? :-)

Seriously, don't ask us to encourage you to break the law. It's like asking "Hey guys is it OK if I speed? LOL

I'm not sure where the confusion comes from it is plain and simple to me. If they are real such a big problem have you considered this license?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/28635.html

or this http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7199.html

Deer Damage Permits (DDPs)

To reduce damage problems on individual properties, WHILE damage is occurring.

Often called "Nuisance" or "Damage" permits.

• Available throughout the state.
  • Applications available to landowners from DEC Wildlife offices.
  • Taking by permittee and approved agents only.
  • Eligibility for permits is based on property damage and the lack of, or failure, of other practical alternatives to alleviate the problem.
  • Permit may be limited to harassment techniques or allow the taking of deer.
  • Permits generally are NOT available during an open deer hunting season.
  • Usually for antlerless deer only.
  • DEC issues tags to permittee for a limited number of deer.
  • Permit activity limited to lands specified on the permit.
  • Permittee must report all deer taken to DEC.
  • No charge.

An egg or two,hot red pepper,garlic,onion,mixed together also works.I have been spreading it around my plants every year, they eat it once and do not come back.Coyote pee just attracts the Yotes by me.

My Dad watched a fawn one time reach under the wire around his garden and grab a habinaro pepper off the plant. Which was immediately spit out followed by a bunch of head shaking. :biggrin:

you could try these....

Deer repellent with natural scent

In addition to physical barriers and moving objects, there are certain scents that deer abhor that have been known to work as deterrents in gardens. Try out a few of these natural deer deterrents:

• Commercial anti-deer sprays such as Plantskydd or Milorganite (which is actually a manure-based organic fertilizer)
  • Fabric softener sheets (hung from trees)
  • Garlic (crushed or bruised in cheesecloth bags or nylon stockings)
  • Blood meal (in bags hung around the garden)
  • Predator urine (from coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and the like, can be purchased from PredatorPee)
  • Hot sauce and dish soap mix (sprayed on plants)
  • Human hair (in bags hung from trees)

Growalot's last post addresses the likely best alternatives to prevent them from eating your plants. As it relates to the supplemental feeding, if you do it consistently you will end up drawing more and more deer to your property. That would probably lend itself to more of your shrubbery being munched.