Hunting Camp Pictures?

josephmrtn

Here is my hunting camp that my Brother-in-law from Canada and I used to use. I had a set of bunkbeds, a couple of easy-chairs, a table with chairs, propane lantern, propane stove, kerosene heater, carpeting and a sink (had to bring in water with ATV). Oh yeah, and a portable TV and radio powered with a car battery (the only electricity) It was a lot of fun until NYS priced him out of hunting down here anymore. Now it is starting to get a bit run-down from lack of use, but still affords some shelter on top of the hill when the weather gets bad. It's almost a mile away from the house and accessible only by walking or ATV.

post-11-0-21130200-1360094324_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-70119200-1360094301_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-45653800-1360094756_thumb.jpg

Well, now my hunting camp is back at the house ....lol.

post-11-0-90042600-1360094524_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Back in the mid 60's we used to operate a commercial NFAA target range, and we put in a few more roads and trails leading from one target to another all the way up the hill and through the course. Those roads and trails make good ATV trails and that's how we get food water and supplies up to camp. But the trail that I use the most is an old horse trail that they used to use for logging, and farming the top of the hill back in the 40's. The hill is damned steep, but the roads tacking their way up the hill makes it pretty easy on an ATV, or tractor.

Hey Culvercreek,

I really like your pavillion. Do you have plans or did you do it on the fly? After the warm sun this during the first week of last year's gun season, I'm thinking of a solution to make shade for hanging deer. Last season I put lots of bagged ice into cavitys and moved deer around the cabin on a trailer to keep them out of the sun. Your pavillion looks awesome. I'll try to post pics of my camp when I am at the computer with the photos.

Hey Culvercreek,

I really like your pavillion. Do you have plans or did you do it on the fly? After the warm sun this during the first week of last year's gun season, I'm thinking of a solution to make shade for hanging deer. Last season I put lots of bagged ice into cavitys and moved deer around the cabin on a trailer to keep them out of the sun. Your pavillion looks awesome. I'll try to post pics of my camp when I am at the computer with the photos.

I did it on the fly but it was very very easy. As always the metal roofing is the slippery part...lol. The metal was all the tails I cut off fromthe cabin roof anyway so it didn't cost anything for that. It is basically 4x4 posts set in a 11'-5"'x7'-5"' pattern with a double 2x10 frame around the top (this allows the 8' and 12' loing 2x10s to wrap all around the outside of the posts). Those are carriage bolted through the posts. 2x6x8' at 2' on center rafters with 2x4 purlins @2' on center up the rafters. I threw in 2 2x10s cross ties in the frame on the 12' side to reinforce for snow load since we aren't there to remove heavy snow (these are perfect for hanging deer if the weather is bad. . The 2x4 knee braces from the frame to the posts really stiffen it up. I used full 8' rafters becasue I wanted the over hang and the purlins i let run past eh ends to support a false rafter on the ends. since the metal roofing was 3' wide I made the roof 15'. The littel canopy on the end is for the gas grill to sit under. We shoot, cook and sit out there in the heaviest rain and stay nice and dry.

THis picture is prior to the rafters

post-152-0-93325300-1360162780_thumb.jpg

my place was all ready wired so i just bought an adapter and can plug right in to a generator (i have AC and DC) and yes we haul all our water, also since we dont have any way to pump it and the tank was cracked we removed the crapper that was in there and so far have just used the woods when we needed to answer natures call... i might build a small outhouse style enclosure w a 5 gal bucket in it beside the camper sometime... also we are trying to set up a solar panel system w car batteries but we dont have enough batteries to store very much power at all...(can run the stereo about ten min off it before it dies)

Doc and Culver i love little camps back in the hills like that!!!

boo711 and Single_Shot you guys have some of the nicest places ive ever seen!!! lucky guys!!!

mtbuck, it looks like you have almost the same setup as me exept mine is back in the woods yours looks more like its in a field...

WANT MORE!!!! LOL

camp2_zpsb63e5967.jpg

camp1_zpseb97ff9d.jpg

I haven't hunted their yet, tagged out the day before I was was gonna head over there this year. It isn't much but it works!!! decent fishing .12'x20' 1.6 acres. about 1500 feet from 22,000 acres of state land. had it insulated with spray foam insulation and tin roof put on this summer. my 3 year old has been begging to go stay there all winter!!! :biggrin: it's wired for a generator. has a gas stove and am currently using a ventless gas heater for heat. It was set up with a wood stove before we bought it but the previous owner (my wifes aunt) gave the stove and chimney to my wifes grandfather. It has a futon that pulls out to a full bed that actually isn't uncomfortable. and it also has a small loft with a full mattress and boxspring. I want to replace the futon with bunk beds with a full futon on bottom and twin on top just for a little bit more sleeping area.

Edited by noahmstone

I haven't hunted their yet, tagged out the day before I was was gonna head over there this year. It isn't much but it works!!! decent fishing .12'x20' 1.6 acres. about 1500 feet from 22,000 acres of state land. had it insulated with spray foam insulation and tin roof put on this summer. my 3 year old has been begging to go stay there all winter!!! :biggrin: it's wired for a generator. has a gas stove and am currently using a ventless gas heater for heat. It was set up with a wood stove before we bought it but the previous owner (my wifes aunt) gave the stove and chimney to my wifes grandfather. It has a futon that pulls out to a full bed that actually isn't uncomfortable. and it also has a small loft with a full mattress and boxspring. I want to replace the futon with bunk beds with a full futon on bottom and twin on top just for a little bit more sleeping area.

Noahstone-

Beautiful place in a heck of a picturesque location. Is that a pond or part of a river? What kind of fish are there? Do you ever have any security issues being that close to state land?