Let's throw some gas on the fire - MI Report

phade

I believe there was a little AR, but we definitely have to do the baiting one. Maybe it's time to bring up the tongue-prints on the back of my rolling salt block again. By the way, I got into a mean streak and washed the car off. Poor Bambi will have to find another source of salt.

Thats just not right Doc. Send them by my place, still lots of salt on the sides of our trucks lol.

The guy on the left is hunting 60 acres behind my house - he's one guy of many on that parcel. I can hunt that too, but there's at least 5 guys with stands there. I walked it this week, back where my cam was, and I counted 10 stands outside of the two I hung. There's about 10 acres out of that 60 that can hold a stand, the rest are ag field. The 10 acres are pretty much one low spot and hedge row. One of the yahoos who hunts here hung a stand within 500' of my house and two other houses. I found it this past week and I am debating on what to do. The guy owns a very well-known hunting store in town. And, I'm almost out of patience with him pulling that. I'm seriously thinking about letting the guy go at it next season and call it in rather than talking to him - even if it costs me access to that parcel going foward. I'd much rather see him get a ticket - I don't care if that makes me a dbag. That dude KNOWS the rules since he's owned a hunting/sportsmans shop for 20+ years.

The ones across the stree probably are on 140 or so, but the owner has others who hunt that too. I bet I have in bowhunting alone about 20 hunters per sq. mile around me.

I believe there was a little AR, but we definitely have to do the baiting one. Maybe it's time to bring up the tongue-prints on the back of my rolling salt block again. By the way, I got into a mean streak and washed the car off. Poor Bambi will have to find another source of salt.

Nuisance permits...gotta throw that one in here too,.

• Like 1

so we are just left with observation? Cna anyone that has over a decade of hunting in NY say that based on what they see the hunters numbers are up from what they used to be? Not trying to set anything up, just wondering. I see less pressure in the woods from what it used to be. Less folks in the dinners and quick stop stores than I use to. How about you guys? anyone see an increase?

i hunt 8F and 7J. 8F seems up overall and 7J down during most of gun, but up during opening day.

I think the diner and gas station observation is slowly becoming less important from an anecdotal POV. Sure there are still bumpkins out there, but the last 10 or so years have been heavy on the scent control movement and also the reduction in large organized deer drives based on smaller parcel size and access.

10-15 years ago, we would all meet at the diner, gas up, and do a drive, wearing our hunting gear the whole time. Not so much today.

agreed, I believe there has been some culture shift. Less guys into the "deer camp" and more interested in hunting the big buck. This probably means more bowhunters, less camp parties, less guys in cammo at the gas pump and people getting in earlier and less drives.

I believe every area is different in terms of activity increase and decrease. I think private land is becoming more popular if you can find it. Maybe there are other factors affecting state land, I'm not sure as I rarely hunt it. I know when I did I was turned off from the pressure, lack of sign and number of hunters. To get anywhere deep and unpressured required almost an hour hike with your climber on your back.

Edited by Belo