Decoy setups

ATbuckhunter

Normally ill set up a single hen, hen and jake, or pair of hens. I have a thunderchicken strutter decoy...but have since turned it into a nice mount lol. There are also certain places i have the best luck with no decoys. Ive read that some folks like to use just hens early in the season and adding jakes later in the season.

I prefer a single hen decoy. That way there's zero intimidation for a lone gobbler, and there's plenty of competition for a nasty old hen thats got a gobbler on her tail if I need to do a little smack talking to pull her in. Dad's had great luck with an old foam hen/jake set up over the years that has led to many busted beaks.

lone hen... im thinking of adding another hen and possibly a jake to the mix this yr...

and its NOT cause i havnt had success w the lone hen!!! ive had hens so close i could about touch em w my shotgun barrel and they were totaly confident that them and my hen decoy were the only living beings around... of course it HAD to happen in the spring when i can only shoot gobblers... GRRR!!!

lone hen... im thinking of adding another hen and possibly a jake to the mix this yr...

and its NOT cause i havnt had success w the lone hen!!! ive had hens so close i could about touch em w my shotgun barrel and they were totaly confident that them and my hen decoy were the only living beings around... of course it HAD to happen in the spring when i can only shoot gobblers... GRRR!!!

Dont ya hate when that happens!

I have a buddy who couldn't hunt his way out of a WalMart parking lot...and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shotgun, even if he were shooting from the inside. I take him along as a confidence decoy!

I am so happy we are friends Early. lol  When are you taking me hunting?

I have been wondering if , while using a one or two decoys, in a field if it would help to put out a few feeding geese decoys 20 or 30 yards away just to build confidence. I haven't tried it yet.

Try it. Sounds like an interesting plan

I think the 1/4 strut jakes are the ticket imo for a decoy. Pair that up with a hen and it's the best overall setup. Run and gun obviously you drop the dekes altogether or just go with a lone hen for sake of carrying.

Have a strutter and it does booger younger birds...jakes and a 2.5 every so often. Still, if the big bird on the block is there, I've never seen it back down to a strutter. Sort of like putting out a 125" buck decoy. It'll scare away the dinks on many times...