Broad Heads

themadroofer

First year using Spitfire 100gr broadheads. Brutal exit wound but not much of a blood trail, although she only went about 25 yards before crashing. Shot with about 15/20 mins of daylight left, and with all the leaves still on the trees couldnt see were she went, just a general direction, I tracked her after dark and the trail was very difficult to follow. I still cant believe that there was so little blood, she was quat toward me, stompin her feet and snortin up a storm, put a good shot on her. Had some good backstap tonight. Would like to hear what has worked and what hasn't. Heard Rage were brutal, as well as NAP Bloodrunners. 

post-1648-131455345613_thumb.jpg

post-1648-131455345627_thumb.jpg

I use to use them as well, I had the same thing occur. A hole you could drive a small truck thru but no blood to track.

I went back to 3 blade fixed blades ( Muzzy or WasP ) that I have had for years. The next doe I shot went 22 yards and looked like someone painted a line for me to follow...

I would think it had more to do with the angle of the shot over much else. It was a dead on placement but the exit obviously was clogged up, 25 yards is pretty short like split said and she probally didn't have time to bleed much. I had a simular situation last year with a liver hit. Never really bleed but went down with in 50 yards where I could see him. I use 75 grn muzzy 3 blade's, never had an issue with them.

Shot my buck last year with Grim Reapers which are practically identical to Splitfires, the first 20 yards found very little blood after that it was like someone threw a bucket of red paint on the floor. The buck only went 40yds or so. I think the lack of blood in your case has to do with the distance the deer went after shot as oppossed to the type of blade your using. My friend has been using splitfires for a long time now and swears by them. Also the intestines that were hanging out of the exit wound would contribute to the lack of blood as well.

Just a thought here, although blades always look sharp when they are new, some are sharper than others.  The primary function of the blade is to slice the blood vessels.  If they are not razor sharp, they will still go through and make a heck of a hole, but will "push" many of the blood vessels out of the way vice cutting them.  Could this be a cause?

not for nothing but if you took a slight quartering to shot you can clearly see there are a mass amount of intestine hanging out which would indicate and exit in the gut area thus giving you a very slight blood trail. the cavity will fill up like crazy with blood and you might get a spotty blood trail, chances are shes had alot of blood and clot inside when you dressed her???

I took my first deer with a bow last year, using the rages, and it looked almost exactly like Cabin's.  Almost primeval.  I had to watch where I was stepping so I didn't get blood all over the cuffs of my pants.

That's a GREAT problem to have though, huh?  ;D  Sure beats the alternative!