Powder Prices

Grouse

My stock of IMR 4064 is getting low and I haven't bought any powder for at least 5 years.  I buy in 5 lb quantities when I do and was looking to buy some today.

$60 plus $33 shipping for ONE POUND of IMR 4064??  Insane!

I'd say inflation levels are far beyond 8% in this area. 

Ammo is insanely high in price and so are reloading supplies.  Coincidence?  I do not think so.

Only thing that’s ok priced lately is projectiles, you think powder is high start looking at primers . I was buying a 1000 for $30-$32 bucks pre pandemic ,  now there going for $99 to $ 130 per thousand. And that price is if you can find them in stock . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

Just picked up some H4831 for some 270 hunting loads. Up about $20 per pound from pre pandemic prices. Found it at Franks Gun Shop on Rt 30. Couldn't find Nosler BT's in 140g. So picked up some Hornady SST's in 130g. I'll test a few of the SST's to see how they shoot. Terminal performance should be similar I'd think???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Just picked up some H4831 for some 270 hunting loads. Up about $20 per pound from pre pandemic prices. Found it at Franks Gun Shop on Rt 30. Couldn't find Nosler BT's in 140g. So picked up some Hornady SST's in 130g. I'll test a few of the SST's to see how they shoot. Terminal performance should be similar I'd think???

I reload the 150 grain sst’s for my 300 savage and they’ve grouped  and performed great on deer .

• Like 1

going rate for large rifle primers is .14 per pew. pretty high but i needed them and LR primers hard to come by. small rifle primers are around and more like .10 per if you need them. powder from what I've seen is around $50 per lb. pretty expensive from what it used to be. definitely by more than 8%.

25 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

going rate for large rifle primers is .14 per pew. pretty high but i needed them and LR primers hard to come by. small rifle primers are around and more like .10 per if you need them. powder from what I've seen is around $50 per lb. pretty expensive from what it used to be. definitely by more than 8%.

Pew pew=.28$

Damn that’s just the primers.  

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I just bucked up and paid the price a couple of pounds of powder and a couple of thousand primers, ouch!

Powder Valley was quite a bit cheaper than 60 dollars, 44 a pound to be exact, it is that darn Hazmat fee on top of shipping that makes prices frightful. 

Al

• Like 1