THE WADER MYTH... TRUE or FALSE?!?!

G-Hunter

The myth:  

"If your waist waders fill up with water upon falling in unsuspected deep waters, it will cause you to be unable to swim back out; resulting in drowning"

True or False?  

Share your input/first hand experiences on this "myth" and let's get the story straight for all the wetland hunters out there....

post-3236-0-67847300-1366937217_thumb.jp

people wear those things? Though they were for the city slickers. 

IF your going to be a flyfisherman you will own a pair soon.  Or sit on the bank and say I wish I could get out a little deeper to make that honey hole cast.

Those nifty little clips should make it pretty simple to "drop trou"! Just sayin'!

I'd rather lose a pair of waders or other equipment than lose my life.

Faster moving water might be a little more troublesome than floating in still water.

Yep false.

Water in your waders is no denser than the water outside them so it has no affect.

Like Ford said, getting out is the hard part.

Good point Wooly, that makes perfect sense.  Density plays a big role in sinking and it being the same would make it impossible for you to sink.  

Glad this myth is a bust!  Phew.

Good point Wooly, that makes perfect sense.  Density plays a big role in sinking and it being the same would make it impossible for you to sink.  

Glad this myth is a bust!  Phew.

Ha-ha .... Before you get too comfortable with the idea, be sure to pay attention to the 2nd part of that reply that deals with getting back out of the water. After all, eventually there will come a time when getting out is necessary. Of course I am assuming that you are talking about slipping into water that is deep enough so that your feet do not touch the bottom.

Also, I'm not too sure how easily legs move (as in necessary swimming motions) when you have two heavy rubber bags of water that you have to move through the water. I don't think they are recommended swimming apparel. Anyway, if you ever get a chance to try it out, let us know how you make out .... lol.

• Like 1

I would guess if all you were wearing was the waders you may float, but throw in some heavy clothing that's now soaking wet and you probably will sink like a rock. In a perfect controlled environment it may seem to work, but I would always take precautions to avoid it.

I think the danger is having your waders fill up in a fast current, not necessarily just having them fill up.

Yes I have seen this happen to fellows while surf casting in the inlets around Long Island during an in coming or out going tide and in or near the breakers.

When ever wearing chest waders you need to always wear a wading belt , most waist waders come with there own belt. I do a lot of fishing and have gone down a few times and have gotten my upper body wet , but only a little or no water in my waders. becasue I always wear a tight waist belt.The people that I can think of who think they don,t need to wear a belt would be duck hunters. So play it safe and always wear a wading belt when ever in water for duck hunting or fishing. A belt will keep water out and trap air in and help you float and it can save your life.

When ever wearing chest waders you need to always wear a wading belt , most waist waders come with there own belt. I do a lot of fishing and have gone down a few times and have gotten my upper body wet , but only a little or no water in my waders. becasue I always wear a tight waist belt.The people that I can think of who think they don,t need to wear a belt would be duck hunters. So play it safe and always wear a wading belt when ever in water for duck hunting or fishing. A belt will keep water out and trap air in and help you float and it can save your life.

So let me get this straight. You have air trapped around your legs and feet so you will float like a cork ..... except upside down. So if anyone is looking for you, they need only look for the pair of feet bobbing around in the water ..... lol. .....Just kidding, but it does make a bit of a funny mental image.