Shotgun vs Muzzleloader

Bleitten04

Shotgun vs Muzzleloader (During regular firearms season)  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Shotgun vs Muzzleloader (During regular firearms season)

• Shotgun
    • Muzzleloader
    • Bow
    • Rifle

When gun season comes around how many people use shotgun and how many use a Muzzleloader?  I have always had a shotgun and will always have one.  This year however is my first season with a muzzleloader and I'm much more accurate with it and I'm positive I will be using this during the regular firearms season for the southern zone.  Even with the one shot I know that if I shoot the deer is dead!!! ???  Knock on wood!!!!

I hunt in a rifle area so my choice is pretty easy.  If I hunted in a shotgun zone I think I'd still stick with the shotgun during the regular season for the additional shots if needed.  Yeah, muzzleloaders are fun to shoot and are accurate, but I don't think a modern shotgun with scope and rifled barrel is too far off.  Surely enough accuracy out of most of them to kill deer up to 100 yards.  Plus, I don't think most people should be shooting muzzleloader any further than that either.  Yeah, the bullet can be sent further, but the trajectory starts getting tricky shortly after that distance.  You make a poor shot past that distance with a muzzleloader and don't have a quick follow up shot to help out, you just might be looking to get yourself into some trouble in my opinion.

I agree with the distance factor totally.  The range I shoot at only goes up to 100 yards so I can't target shoot 150 where a ML is suppose to still be accurate.  However I don't have a scope for my shotgun.  If things work out well this year and I get to go out with one of my buddies where we do a lot of drives I would use it there because of multiple shots. 

I know a lot od guys who use a ml in rifle country.  It adds to the challenge of the hunt. You have to get closer, you need to take one good shot and with some of todays modern guns and components, it is almost like shooting a rifle.  The big difference comes when you use traditional muzzleloader and components all season. 

Back before Chenango county allowed rifles I used my TC Black Diamond there at my friends camp.At that time my shotgun was a Mberg 500 smooth bore and the ML was a good bit more accurate.Now that things have changed there I only use my ML during the special ML seasons.

Well even in rifle areas most spots I have I'm lucky to have a shot past 100 yards.

Having said that I hunted so long in shotgun only - smoothbore I trust what I can do.

Having said that I'd realy like to take a deer with my new MZ.

Perhaps I'll let the weather be the deciding factor. In what way? Frack if I know at the moment but I can't let so many choices disctract me.  :-\

I just pulled out my NY Hunting and Trapping mag. and found the "legal implements for regular deer season map. since I hunt 7a in sterling... it looks like according to the map in the back sterling is in oswego county but it looks like on the legal implements it looks like it is in cayuga... according to online maps Sterling is in cayuga county... I just bought the rifle this year... I guess that was a "waste of Money" in a sense...

anyone looking to buy a Winchester M70 30-06 fired 20 times with a pine ridge 4-12x scope?

Tom