Well, Ill take yet another one off my DVR list...

WNYBuckHunter

I was just watching the last episode of North American Whitetail TV, and the last segment was about "paying tribute" to deer they didnt shoot. It started with "Dr Deer" having found an old buck that died naturally, then he started telling his experiences with the buck in the past. They showed video of the deer walking in and out of their deer barn, and then continued to tell about how they hunted this deer "fair and square", and how he was too "elusive" for them. I damn near spit my drink all over the place. What a joke. Ill never watch that nonsense again.

Hunting an "elusive" farm deer.......hahahahahaha.

I was just watching the last episode of North American Whitetail TV, and the last segment was about "paying tribute" to deer they didnt shoot. It started with "Dr Deer" having found an old buck that died naturally, then he started telling his experiences with the buck in the past. They showed video of the deer walking in and out of their deer barn, and then continued to tell about how they hunted this deer "fair and square", and how he was too "elusive" for them. I damn near spit my drink all over the place. What a joke. Ill never watch that nonsense again.

Hunting an "elusive" farm deer.......hahahahahaha.

Haha, so true. I did see a hunting show where the guy was from WNY originally and he gave props to the hunters back home and how much more challenging is was . He said a 2 year old WNY buck is as smart or smarter than a 5-7 year buck out west.

Really? lol... 

Yes, its the last thing I thought Id see on that show. Its always appeared to be pretty legit. Id rather watch something with some type of educational value rather than some jackass in a tree fist pumping about the great gut shot he just made.

Flipping through the channels I came across an episode of Easton Bowhunter.  This guy is hunting in Montana and shoots a spike.  You see the hit the deer's front/left shoulder and the deer runs off with the arrow sticking out.  The scene then cuts to him following the blood trail and trying to find this deer.  After some looking around, he spots it...yells the typical "There it is!  Hoooweee!" and gets all excited finding his deer.  Except...there's no arrow sticking out of the deer.  He then kneels down and examines the hole in the deer's shoulder and hypes the deep penetration of this arrow breaking shoulder blade, etc.  Then...get this...he pulls an arrow from his bow quiver and the arrow is covered in blood and by showing where the blood stops, he proves how deep the arrow penetrated.  Woah!  Wait a minute!  How did the arrow disappear from the deer and magically reappear in his bow quiver?  I have to get me some of those arrows!

I think, they either found the deer, messed up the scene, re-shot the scene with him acting all surprised as if he just found the deer, and forgot to put the arrow back on the reshoot on top of poor editing from the film crew.  Or...he made a bad shot and the deer he shot was never really recovered so they shot another deer (maybe with a rifle to make it easier) and planted it there as if it's the one he shot.  Either way...reality TV is never reality.

The arrow probably fell out and he found it while tracking. Id be willing to bet that almost every single recovery scene is staged. Half the time the camera is shooting the hunters from behind the animal.

I dont really mind that stuff, I know its staged, but to say you hunted an elusive deer for multiple seasons when the damn thing lives in your barn, and then hyping yourself as an authority on deer hunting? Those guys can kiss my ass.

We seem to see a lot of threads that take these hunter-heroes to task for the phoney hunting, and the staged scenes, and the unrealistic hunting arrangements.

Here is what is needed.... Some outfit should be offering to air private hunting footage gathered from "everyday" amateur hunters across the country. With so many hunters videoing their hunts these days, I'll bet there are a lot of good hunts that would be fun to watch.

Also, these guys that are self-proclaimed "experts" at deer hunting should be putting on more shows that focus on scouting, stand placement, blood trailing, and other aspects of hunting. Sure, we all consider ourselves somewhat well versed in that stuff, but who couldn't use a few different viewpoints on things that we take for granted.

I personally would like to see an in-depth detailed discussion of thermals and features that impact the direction and intensity of wind. There are a lot of aspects that would make good programming about deer scenting ability and how scent is dispersed in different kinds of terrain, and how long scent maintains it's presence and over what distances.

The point is, there are a lot of hunting subjects that are never talked about, and instead of trying to impress people and feed their own egos with bogus hunts, I think if these guys are half the experts that they have convinced themselves that they are, they should be sharing some of their knowledge and making some shows that are worth watching.

Dr, James Kroll, aka Dr. Deer is a joke. His hunts are always highly skeptical, and almost always involve a rifle and some type of fancy shooting house. Dr. Grant Woods is a much better example of a true deer and overall wildlife and property manager. He has a ton of YouTube videos called "Growing Deer Tv". From food plots to coon trapping he covers it all and is just a wicked cool guy.

• Like 1

I SWEAR some of these guys are using the "pod".

Who remembers that?  I bet Doc, Sweet old Bil and some of the other old time bow hunters do.  IIRC it was legal down south in a few states??  Mississippi was one.....

The arrow probably fell out and he found it while tracking. Id be willing to bet that almost every single recovery scene is staged. Half the time the camera is shooting the hunters from behind the animal.

I dont really mind that stuff, I know its staged, but to say you hunted an elusive deer for multiple seasons when the damn thing lives in your barn, and then hyping yourself as an authority on deer hunting? Those guys can kiss my ass.

+1 

Dr, James Kroll, aka Dr. Deer is a joke. His hunts are always highly skeptical, and almost always involve a rifle and some type of fancy shooting house. Dr. Grant Woods is a much better example of a true deer and overall wildlife and property manager. He has a ton of YouTube videos called "Growing Deer Tv". From food plots to coon trapping he covers it all and is just a wicked cool guy.

+1

I caught that 2 minutes of that episode too. (The deer barn) Kept on channel surfin'.

Elmo, I wonder if that scenario is how these actors get into poaching? They shoot a deer and either don't find it until after they bag a different one, or they find it and want a bigger one for the show.

I gave up last year on hunting shows, Havent seen one since.  I got so worked up on the boasting of bad shots, the screaming and fist pumping while still in the stand when clearly it was a bad shot placement and all the celebrations before they even look for blood.  I cant remember the name of the show of the very last one I watched but it was it for me after that one.  This guys gut shoots one heck of a buck and is all celebrating, his camera man says the shot didnt look good, bowhunter responded he has never not made a recovery and thats a dead deer..  They get down and start tracking right away.  find an arrow covered in green and blood, keep pushing forward searching and then comes to a creek.  Hunter turns to the camera and say well I guess that is it, theres no way to get over to the other side for a recovery.  WTF are you kidding? there is no way across the ankle deep water of a small creek about 10 feet wide? No road that crosses the creek?  Hell put a couple garbage bags over your legs and walk across it.  Then the guy goes on a boast how this will be his first unrecovered deer ever and feels horrible.  Yep havent watched one since.  You want to learn how not to hunt? Watch a hunting show on TV.

• Like 1

I gave up last year on hunting shows, Havent seen one since.  I got so worked up on the boasting of bad shots, the screaming and fist pumping while still in the stand when clearly it was a bad shot placement and all the celebrations before they even look for blood.  I cant remember the name of the show of the very last one I watched but it was it for me after that one.  This guys gut shoots one heck of a buck and is all celebrating, his camera man says the shot didnt look good, bowhunter responded he has never not made a recovery and thats a dead deer..  They get down and start tracking right away.  find an arrow covered in green and blood, keep pushing forward searching and then comes to a creek.  Hunter turns to the camera and say well I guess that is it, theres no way to get over to the other side for a recovery.  WTF are you kidding? there is no way across the ankle deep water of a small creek about 10 feet wide? No road that crosses the creek?  Hell put a couple garbage bags over your legs and walk across it.  Then the guy goes on a boast how this will be his first unrecovered deer ever and feels horrible.  Yep havent watched one since.  You want to learn how not to hunt? Watch a hunting show on TV.

I too have long ago sworn off the TV hunting shows and videos featuring the latest hunter-heroes and their home-grown "trophy deer". They simply are like watching incessant summer re-runs. Nothing ever changes. There is one exception to that which is that goofy show on The History Channel (Chasing Tail). That is just so stupid that it is funny. Also, there is no egos on parade, or people trying to fool us into thinking they are the most effective hunters to ever walk the planet. It's just good ol' fashion humor of hunters making fun of hunters.