Crossbow use?

apoallo

My buddy and I were just at the Gander mountain in middletown NY and the staff at the bow/crossbow dept were spreading word to customers that as of this year crossbow use for hunting was Illegal..... does anyone knowof any updates or if this is true or false????

I believe the seasons that it was legal to hunt with had an expiration date of Dec 31, 2012 attached, and that a new bill allowing their use in future seasons / years had not been passed or made official.

sad news for NY that the NY Bowhunters club has that much power to lobby Congress against the wishes of the majority of the NY hunting population.

I hunt with a compound bow and while this conflict remains as big a hypocrisy as any that exists in government; that's what lawmakers and those that lobby them are:   colossal hypocrites.

It will be nice to finally be able to archery hunt with our bows during the early archery when the weather is little warmer. Maybe Albany can do something right for a change and make our bows legal to archery hunt with.

• Like 1

Correct! Xbows are not legal weapons since the regulation expired allowing them in limited 2012 season(s).

Yes! There is a bill in the legislature to put the decision of implementation in the hands of the DEC.

No! Once bill is passed it is not an automatic implementation of this weapon!

There will be a hearing in Albany this week (5/22/13)  allowing for public (& opponent's) comment on this bill.

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/16438-crossbow-hearing-invitation/?hl=crossbow

2013??? Not a sure thing.

Time is the Xbow's main enemy for this year's useage. And..The powerful anti-Xbow lobby group.

i wish they'd legalize them. I really want hunting to be easier for me and others.

I sure wish they wouldn't. I would be forced to abandon my precious tradition that is so precious everyone would abandon it if crossbows were legalized.

I saw a video of a guy sitting at a rifle shooting bench with his cross bow. He had the bi-pod dropped down and the stock nested into a sandbag and peeking through a scope, shooting at 100 yards. He had the prettiest looking rifle shooting form and was rock steady. He probably got that nice "surprise triggering" that every rifle shooter likes to get. He shot quite a few shots that never strayed out of the bull. I suppose he could have missed but he would have had to do so intentionally. I'm not sure what that's got to do with the original post, but just going along with the most recent replies .... lol.

So, here might be a full fledged stupid question to asked, but hear goes anyway. Seeing that crossbows are illegal to use in any season in NYS. right now, are they still legal to own or even have on our property?  (Are their any laws here, like the NY Safe Act made for all of us turkey hunters, that are basicly breaking the law taking our Remington and Mossberg pumps a field. Their was a thread started about this. A total shock to me.). Something that was slipped through at midnight with the stroke of a pen, that know one might be aware of?

I heard that crossbow bolts have super sensitive broadheads that actually have super powered magnets in them and will attract themselves to the iron in the deer's blood. How cool is that!?

Sweet, Ill have to pick those up and use them on my vertical bow, since that kills a deer in the same way as a crossbow.

So, here might be a full fledged stupid question to asked, but hear goes anyway. Seeing that crossbows are illegal to use in any season in NYS. right now, are they still legal to own or even have on our property?  (Are their any laws here, like the NY Safe Act made for all of us turkey hunters, that are basicly breaking the law taking our Remington and Mossberg pumps a field. Their was a thread started about this. A total shock to me.). Something that was slipped through at midnight with the stroke of a pen, that know one might be aware of?

Of course they are legal to own and shoot, they have never been illegal to own or shoot in NY.

Why would anyone want to hunt with a modern xbow or that compound bow gadget thing? 

Maybe I am an elitist, but I prefer traditional crossbows. Here's a pic of mine.

I killed 6 bucks with this traditional xbow in New York State in 2012. 2 were under 50 yards, but the other 4 were at distances of 107 yards, 164 yards, 233 yards, 408 yards.  I also clipped a deer at 525 yards, it was 20mph winds that day. That's probably why I missed. I found no blood, only white hairs.

post-871-0-77325300-1369143630_thumb.jpg

can swing a golf club and operate an ancient crossbow, but cant use a vertical bow. classic

5 out of 6 NY deer I shot with my ancient crossbow were in a town called Tully, NY.

What's your let-off %? I'm sure I could shoot your compound without a problem.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

love how my original thread quickly changed. sounds like the start to another xbow/vertical bow debate. can someone please close this thread I dont want to get notification post reply's for a debate.

• 2 weeks later...

If the NY bowhunters were really that concerned about "their" deer or "their" season they would strongly advocate the use of crossbows which are inherintly more accurate by design and beginning hunters would be more accurately killing deer instead of flinging arrows all over the woods and wounding and not recovering deer.A crossbow would make the perfect beginner or older person outfit then down the line they could switch up to a vertical bow as they become more efficient.

In fact a person wishing to bowhunt might even have to partake in an "apprentice" program where they HAVE to shoot a crossbow first and show proficiency and tag a deer before they can even get a vertical bow tag, which would result in better deer recovery AND provide an extra tag.

Anyone with me on this?