Power Line Hunting

fadetoblack188

Although the power company's usually post their right of ways , it is hardly enforced.

I believe they post their property in case of law suits. I have seen joggers , dog walkers ,

motorcycle/atv riders , paint ball enthusiasts all using the power lines and to the best of my knowledge , no one was ever ticketed or questioned.

is it illegal to hunt on powerline spots in NY?... the power lines run threw sterling forest ny

For $5 you can get this all access patch on ebay that grants you unlimited hunting rights on powerline right of ways!

If anyone questions it's authenticity, just tell them go talk to your supervisor 4 poles down....he's the guy in the white hard hat,lol

4455920-power-lineman-at-work.jpg

• Like 3

I have power lines that run through my property.  Its a right of way, there is no lease, no monetary funds exchanged nothing.  I pay the taxes and it even show power lines on the tax map on my land.  I think this is the norm throughout the state.  Just because there is power lines certainly does not mean the power company owns anything but the poles and lines.  The power company has the right away to be on it not anyone else without permission by the landowner. 

• Like 1

I have power lines that run through my property.  Its a right of way, there is no lease, no monetary funds exchanged nothing.  I pay the taxes and it even show power lines on the tax map on my land.  I think this is the norm throughout the state.  Just because there is power lines certainly does not mean the power company owns anything but the poles and lines.  The power company has the right away to be on it not anyone else without permission by the landowner. 

What he said, and I believe the same goes for gas pipelines, but the gas companies do pay the landowners to lease the right-of-way.

Edited by PREDATE

I have power lines that run through my property. Its a right of way, there is no lease, no monetary funds exchanged nothing. I pay the taxes and it even show power lines on the tax map on my land. I think this is the norm throughout the state. Just because there is power lines certainly does not mean the power company owns anything but the poles and lines. The power company has the right away to be on it not anyone else without permission by the landowner.

I too own land that power lines (and a gas line) cross and it annoys me when people go traipsing across thinking they have the right to. They do not. Power company does, but they're supposed to warn owners ahead of time.

Zhe Wiz

What he said, and I believe the same goes for gas pipelines, but the gas companies do pay the landowners to lease the right-of-way.

Boy I got ripped off then lol.  Cause I dont get paid for that either.  Its also a tedious and long process to get either one gated on your property boundaries to keep hot dogging trucks and 4 wheelers off, but its is possible so long as its approved and they get a copy of the keys to the gate locks.  

Edited by wdswtr

Yeah you may have got the short end of the stick my friend, but then again to expect NYS to be fair is unrealistic. Was eminent domain applied or did you not seek payment?

In my area back in 2010 a 33 mile line was strung out of PA into NY and since it was called a "gas gathering line" the NY law does not allow them the right of eminent domain. A coalition was formed and they were able to negotiate a 20-year right of way with a 20-year renewal.

The landowners were given the option of taking a lump sum or annual rentals. The lump-sum totals were about $55 per linear foot for the first 20 years and $65 per linear foot for the second 20 years. For nine miles of right of way in New York State, the company paid around $2.6 million for the first term. Annual rental rates were $3.50 per linear foot, indexed for inflation.

Not sure what your circumstances entailed, but people do get paid for gas easements(sometimes).

I have the same situation. We post the heck out of the power lines. Never had a problem with people hunting it. It's my property, I post it.

but they do own the poles and the lines. so anything you do on or around them could be considered tampering. Again, I've never seen it enforced and I dont hunt them myself. But there are some heavily hunted ones near me. However, the substation that used to be a heavily used snowmobile trail go by it recently got a huge fence and some big signs. haha.

Yeah you may have got the short end of the stick my friend, but then again to expect NYS to be fair is unrealistic. Was eminent domain applied or did you not seek payment?

In my area back in 2010 a 33 mile line was strung out of PA into NY and since it was called a "gas gathering line" the NY law does not allow them the right of eminent domain. A coalition was formed and they were able to negotiate a 20-year right of way with a 20-year renewal.

The landowners were given the option of taking a lump sum or annual rentals. The lump-sum totals were about $55 per linear foot for the first 20 years and $65 per linear foot for the second 20 years. For nine miles of right of way in New York State, the company paid around $2.6 million for the first term. Annual rental rates were $3.50 per linear foot, indexed for inflation.

Not sure what your circumstances entailed, but people do get paid for gas easements(sometimes).

Pipe line already existed when I came along.  Made a great section of food plot if anything.  Yes I made sure it was okay!  Same with all the neighbors, most moved out and new residents since it went in as well.  I would suspect just one of those things lost in the paper shuffling. 

I have a couple of spots that I predator hunt that are power line trails. The power company does not own the land, and you would be an idiot to climb the poles or towers. They either lease or own the land where the substations, etc are, thats about it. I also used to deer hunt a piece that had power lines crossing it, the only rule was to stay off of the poles. They are generally great spots to see game crossing because they are so open.

From what I have seen, they usually dont cross slowly, so you have to keep constant watch so you spot them when they pop out and pause at the edge before they cross.

That is exactly my experience as well,  Great way to see game not so great way to get a shot off.  You have to constantly be looking left and right and hope you spot the deer before that spilt second pause and get your sights on them, if not they are gone in an instant.  Doesnt make for great shot opportunity. 

I have a couple of spots that I predator hunt that are power line trails. The power company does not own the land, and you would be an idiot to climb the poles or towers. They either lease or own the land where the substations, etc are, thats about it. I also used to deer hunt a piece that had power lines crossing it, the only rule was to stay off of the poles. They are generally great spots to see game crossing because they are so open.

From what I have seen, they usually dont cross slowly, so you have to keep constant watch so you spot them when they pop out and pause at the edge before they cross.

fwiw,

own and lease are essentially the same thing when it comes to hunting. If you leased some land to hunt and were told it was yours only, isn't that you would expect it to be? They maintain the trails and the lines. again, not that it matters

fwiw,

own and lease are essentially the same thing when it comes to hunting. If you leased some land to hunt and were told it was yours only, isn't that you would expect it to be? They maintain the trails and the lines. again, not that it matters

Whats your point? They still dont own or lease the land the lines are strung over or that the poles are on, Its only a right of way.

Whats your point? They still dont own or lease the land the lines are strung over or that the poles are on, Its only a right of way.

Exactly, they dont own lease or have any right except to maintain the lines pole, brush etc.  Its a sweet deal on there part, no land taxes to pay and makes that land virtually useless to the land owner who does pay the taxes on it.  So yeah what the heck is his point? 

your grammar hurts my brain.

- I stated 3 times that it doesn't seem to matter as many hunt the lines near me without issue. But I know from talking with guys at RG&E, and perhaps every area and spot is different. But, anything you do, whether it's riding a sled or hunting near a line could land you in hot water if the big bad power company believes it may affect the integrity of their property (powerlines). For example, they're worried you would climb a pole, hit a pole with your atv or hit a pole with a bad shot. If you think you'll win that battle if they choose to fight it, then go ahead.

Power co.s pay taxes on every pole in the ground & everything that is on it, to the town that they are in weather they own or lease the property. They are also concerned about insulators being shot & knocking the power out.