Don't annoy a police officer

Woodjr55

"The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill  (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty. "

So you would have to wait until the officer is "off Duty" to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer . Hmmmmmmmm !  j/k

• Like 1

"The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill  (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty. "

So you would have to wait until the officer is "off Duty" to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer . Hmmmmmmmm !  j/k

Well That makes Sense I can see people lined up at the Station harassing the police as they leave

new Sat. night fun

Police Officers put up with a lot of crap, but this law is too subjective and laws against obstructing justice or interfering with a police officer are already in place and sufficient. I cant see how this can be a good idea.

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

I have a friend thats a Police Officer. I harrass him on a daily basis! :D

Like this ^^^ :-)

Police Officers put up with a lot of crap, but this law is too subjective and laws against obstructing justice or interfering with a police officer are already in place and sufficient. I cant see how this can be a good idea.

+1

So if I get a ticket I feel is unwarranted and curse out of frustration the officer can hit me with a harassment ticket as well?  Like Mike said, it's too subjective and you couple that with NYC's unspoken quota requirement and the result will be ugly.

So if I get a ticket I feel is unwarranted and curse out of frustration the officer can hit me with a harassment ticket as well?  Like Mike said, it's too subjective and you couple that with NYC's unspoken quota requirement and the result will be ugly.

No, there has to be physical contact.

what about the annoy part of this. what if someone ask a cop a question and doesnt understand the answer and trys angain to get a answer that they can undderstand. all of a sudden UUUUHHH I am annoyed... boom ticket.. like most of the newer laws in the past few months there are way too many grey areas...; not sure I like this. Even thou I have and will never, I like the idea of being able to curse out a cop if I really wanted to do so. without getting punished for doing so.

I can understand that LEOs are in a high stress job that requires alot of focus, but what makes them better than the citizens that they've sworn to protect & serve? Correct me if I'm wrong but simple assault on another citizen is only a misdemeanor right? Now only verbal harassment towards someone wearing a badge is a freakin felony? Wow!

what about the annoy part of this. what if someone ask a cop a question and doesnt understand the answer and trys angain to get a answer that they can undderstand. all of a sudden UUUUHHH I am annoyed... boom ticket.. like most of the newer laws in the past few months there are way too many grey areas...; not sure I like this. Even thou I have and will never, I like the idea of being able to curse out a cop if I really wanted to do so. without getting punished for doing so.

No.

I think we have enough laws, but you did not read it correctly.

There must be a physical altercation.

• Like 1

Due to the wording annoy...as with many foolish laws..that is the loop hole that could work against the general population....Now I'm not saying the law in total is foolish but in a time when.... now thanks to electronics.... police using excessive force, a lot ,is being documented..... this laws punishment is over the top.

One more step towards a police State  IMO....laws should never be left open to such wide interpretation...whether or not an arrest would go to conviction, the damage has already been done in the arrest it's self.

No.

I think we have enough laws, but you did not read it correctly.

There must be a physical altercation.

Correct...The way it is written, a person must make physical contact with a police officer with the intent to harass or annoy the officer. As it stands right now, a person could walk up to an officer and slap the officer  in the face, shove the officer , poke him/her in the chest etc. and ,unless the officer is physically injured, the the person could only be charged with harassment which is only a violation.