Exhausted after taking these 2 for 2

shawnhu

I good shot with a gun or bow never takes 30+ mins, If you even nick the heart or double lung its dead on its feet and won't be going very far. I don't agree with your headshot tactics but to each there own, It's legal. I'm just curious if you will share the story of the deer flipping around in pain after that one shot you pulled or the time it moved at the last second and ran away with half its face destroyed

what does he care, he's out to "Destroy " deer. 

I'm not a farmer, but I am a shooting agent and authorized to do so. This has nothing to do with YOUR hunting season. We CAN shoot fawns as well, but I choose not to. They can survive pretty well and will group with other does.

how exactly do you become an authorized shooting agent?

• Like 1

These tags are assigned to hunters by the farmers in many cases if they don't shoot the deer themselves. I know of one farm that has tags but just shoots to wound and let's the deer run off to die. That way they always have valid tags to keep shooting. THe whole nuisance system is screwed up and should be revamped.

I understand the concept, but why don't the farmers do the duty themselves? i mean if you cant handle the part of killing an animal than why pawn it off on someone esle. and if they really want to control population they could give out permission for the actual hunting season.

I understand the concept, but why don't the farmers do the duty themselves? i mean if you cant handle the part of killing an animal than why pawn it off on someone esle. and if they really want to control population they could give out permission for the actual hunting season.

The farmers are busy working the farms. I hunt farms that some years get nuisance permits and always get DDPs. They dont have time to sit there and hunt. Some of them will shoot them if/when they have the opportunity, but mostly they allow others in to get it taken care of for them. I wouldnt call it dirty work or anything like some others on this thread are calling it. Lets face it, the crops are their lively hood, the deer are taking money out of their pockets.

• Like 1

Don't think I ever heard of it

They stopped making Schaffer back in the 70's but it came out again a few years ago. Im sure its made by Bud. or Miller now. I remember my father drinking it but I never tried it. I know that if my father bought it then it was the cheap stuff along with Schlits, Schmits, Piels, Black label.........

As a farmer myself I understand the necessity for nuisance tags. We don't actually get them on our farm because we raise sheep and don't have any crops that we depend on for income. And like WNY said most full time farmers are too busy farming to kill the deer. A neighbor of mine has several hundred acres and gets nuisance permits (20/year I believe). He offers them up to a few of the families up the road that don't have a huge income and use the meat to fill their freezer. I am all for controlling the herd to minimize crop and income loss, but hate to see and hear about the deer getting wasted. There are plenty of hungry families and donation centers that I'm sure would gladly accept the venison. At least in CNY there are.

• Like 2

Tell that to the 7 does. I find it more unethical to shoot a deer in the lungs and have it suffer for 30+ minutes unnecessarily, drowning in its own fluids. I'm sure you're a great shot though. Good luck with your deer season.

30+ minutes from a double lung? where does this ever happen?

I've already stated I passed on the fawns, didn't I? But I get your point.

if you're just "destroying" deer, why not shoot the fawns? better eating...

I'm glad an "experienced" hunter chimed in and proved my point. Instant death from a headshot, or 30 seconds of the most unpleasant thing in the world, you pick.

30 seconds of adrenaline filled running? please... Stop trying to flip the switch that you're all ethical now. Best thing you can do is slice the heart with a broadhead. Not devastate it, but slice it. They'll run a good 100 yards in a matter of 20 seconds or so and pump all the blood out. Results in some of the best meat you'll ever eat.

I wonder why I don't see more headshots in magazines and tv?

The farmers are busy working the farms. I hunt farms that some years get nuisance permits and always get DDPs. They dont have time to sit there and hunt. Some of them will shoot them if/when they have the opportunity, but mostly they allow others in to get it taken care of for them. I wouldnt call it dirty work or anything like some others on this thread are calling it. Lets face it, the crops are their lively hood, the deer are taking money out of their pockets.

I totally understand the time issue for farmers. I worked on a farm and my best friend was in a farming family. However, if you have time to spray because otherwise you'd lose your crop, you should have time to shoot. If it was that big a deal where deer were putting farmers out of business they'd take the time to hunt them.

Edited by Belo

I totally understand the time issue for farmers. I worked on a farm and my best friend was in a farming family. However, if you have time to spray because otherwise you'd lose your crop, you should have time to shoot. If it was that big a deal where deer were putting farmers out of business they'd take the time to hunt them.

Not necessarily. As a hunter, you know its not a 10 minute, or even 1 hour deal all the time. All of the farmers I know that get nuisance tags farm pretty large amounts of land, plus need to maintain their equipment, barns, homes, tend to any animals, etc. They just dont have time, and rather than pay the farm hands an hourly wage to do it, they get us hunters to come in and take care of it for free.

I do feel the DEC needs to revamp the system a bit, and improve accountability of kills somehow, but they are spread pretty thin as is.

• Like 2

If you feel these farmers have all this extra time on their hands you really don't understand the life style. Especially if they don't hunt themselves it is no differnet that hiring an electrician or a plumber to complete a task you eith don't know how to do yourself or don't have the time to.

I have hunted on these tags  in the past and in hindsight I think they should do away with them to open up more property to hunters. The only benefit of these tags over a normal hunting tag is they are specific to the property being damaged. To

• Like 1