Are you going to be Grunting this weekend?

burmjohn

I would stick to fawn bleats for now, like WNY said they aren't really making those noises now.  I had a can and had decent success with it, I would say a regualr grunt tube/ doe bleat that has a variable o-ring work better imo.

just my .02

good luck

P.S. I'll grunt a little bit but only if i see a buck and even then i'll probably bleat at him first.   

OK thanks.  I guess what my question was is that do doe estrous calls work?  They seem like an odd sound to me and I was just wondering if at some point will they attract a buck or scare them?

called a nice 6 point in opening wekk of bow last year. he was not coming in to me until i hit the can. bleeted him in a few times had em going crazy. he came in like he was on a leash... i never had a buck spook out from doe bleets, ever.

last year opening weekend of bow in SZ, had an 8 and a 4 i hit with the can, used my M.A.D. bleet, boom they came in 5 yards, right under the tree!

i never put a time of year to use the can or bleet calls, they work almost any time of the season. even hit deer with the can late season like december, had bucks come runnign over. no rhyme or reason.

not sure how the weather will be by you BUT it will be windy by me on the island. there saying in the 60s clear but 25mph winds.

dont get me wrong tho on the calling i am not saying it will 100% work for you but dont be affraid to try and hit the can on a deer, especially if hes not coming in to you anyways. i heard guys say its to early for calls like that so i went against it and tried it. had the 8 and the 4 posturing up on each other opeing weekend last year SZ. i tried the call and it was funny how fast they responded and worked in quick. the idea is once you got there attention you stop, you hit em with it when it looks like they are going off or loosing interest. maybe once and 5 seconds later a second time. watch the body language of the deer. i dont care how early or late in the season, if a buck hears that hes going to react. Only time i have used it  and it had NO effect what so ever was when bucks come in scent checking for does or are clearly on a hot trail. never do get much of a reaction on those deer. they usually make there way in so fast and really are relying on there nose and not listening to good.

This is the one weekend I just sit and watch.  The deer should dtill be in there unpressured state.  So hopfully they will just be traveling down the right trail (my trail).  I have stopped using any calls in high presured areas the just don't seem to work.  I think all the people must blow every call they can at them to try to get them to come in.  Anyway if you feel like it try it out who knows you might get the big one.

Geno

I guess the only real way to figure things out is just go out and try different things.  Thanks for the info it sounds good.  I read that once a buck looses velvet he is capable of breading up to the point where he drops his antlers.  It would make sense that a buck would come into a estrous call or scent.  Ill probably just call sparingly or if I see a buck.  Also the area Im hunting has never really had hunting pressure in the past few years.  As for weather it is suppose to rain Sat. morning but be nice the rest of the weekend.  Not sure on the wind though.  Again thanks for the help and good luck!!!