Facemask or Makeup ?

BizCT

Question for the early season bow hunters out there:

When the weather is warm do you prefer to wear a camo facemask or camo makeup, and why?

I will be hunting from the ground with my crossbow starting on opening day (9/16) in CT. I expect it to be pretty warm.  During the NY gun, it is always cold enough to cover my face with a dickie (see pic with deer).  In warmer weather, I have worn a facemask (see pic with foxes) and felt comfortable. However, I have also tried the makeup and it worked well too (i think).

Thanks in advance.

post-871-0-95939800-1374773254_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-49131400-1374773258_thumb.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Facemask all the way for me. easy on, easy off with no mess. plus it helps keeps bugs off. 

Full fask mask with the like the bug screen? I have never tried one of those, figured it would be hard to shoot through a scope with one of them. I plan on using the one I am wearing in the pic, but if its really hot out, might have to do makeup?

Facemask all the way for me. easy on, easy off with no mess. plus it helps keeps bugs off. 

Exactly... who wants to clean that crap off!  I could only imagine what someone would think if I stopped at the deli on the way home from a morning hunt with camo make-up all over!!!

I'd never even walk into a public place like store or gas station with hunting clothes on, too afraid of the scents getting on my clothes. I keep all my hunting stuff in bins at my parents house. I go from their house to woods (dark - dark) and back home.

Honestly, I dont even get gas before fishing or eat anything with my hands before fishing, because I am worried about getting gas or food smells on my fingers and then touching the line, bait, etc.

Facemask...I usually use a one for turkey season with mesh during bow season until it gets cold, then a mid-level one and finally heavy duty during regular season. SHouldn't be an issue when looking through a scope, that's easy.

The challenge is with bowhunting and your anchor imo. Not an issue for you and the xbow.

yup full mesh style mask with just the area across the eyes open. they are relatively cheap, then of course practice shooting with it on. there's going to be warm days first part of the season but this style is light and loose not like the winter fleece ones

I'd never even walk into a public place like store or gas station with hunting clothes on, too afraid of the scents getting on my clothes. I keep all my hunting stuff in bins at my parents house. I go from their house to woods (dark - dark) and back home.

Honestly, I dont even get gas before fishing or eat anything with my hands before fishing, because I am worried about getting gas or food smells on my fingers and then touching the line, bait, etc.

I would never as well... usually get changed in the car if I'm hunting Long island... which is a pain... wouldn't want to add another step of washing the camo off before I head home.

For bow season I do face paint. I use a kisser as an anchor point, and it just doesnt work well with a mask. Ive stopped at the gas station on my way home before, and got some looks, but I dont care. Hunting isnt taboo where I live. It is a little bit cumbersome to wash off, but not a big pain really.

• Like 1

Every time I buy a new mask, I make sure it moves with me, otherwise it hinders your eyesight. They protect from the bugs, sun, rain, snow. But they do present problems when you need to look down, as to get shells out of your vest or something. They also don't allow you to wear shooting glasses, because the glasses fog. Glasses not only protect you from firing your gun, stray pellets from another hunter, brush, and sun, but aid in seeing game and when shooting moving game - acquiring the target faster, especially if you match the lens color with the color of the target. Also yellow lenses collect more light, so are great at the first and last part of legal shooting time, but don't wear them in full sun, since they collect sun they will burn your eyes, use in low light only.

I opt for the mask though , but back to the glasses, when face camo isn't needed, like in upland game, I do use the glasses for both safety and to acquire the target faster. Also helpful to spot dogs on point or the occasional squatting bird or cottontail. I don't know how guys with prescription glasses deal with masks, but I would like to hear, As far as the expensive glasses that don't fog, that's too much for me and besides I scratch them up in the brush - better than my eyeballs though. My wife uses both a mask and paint around her eyes because her face structure is different than mine, so a check in the mirror is a good idea.

For bow season I do face paint. I use a kisser as an anchor point, and it just doesnt work well with a mask. Ive stopped at the gas station on my way home before, and got some looks, but I dont care. Hunting isnt taboo where I live. It is a little bit cumbersome to wash off, but not a big pain really.

I've been deabting on getting a kisser button, but never made the leap. I shoot pretty well now, but I see so many benefits to it.

I certainly don't put much credo in the tv personalities, but certain hunting "pros" that I believe make the cut, almost all shoot a kisser. I'm talking about the ones that hunt the larger bucks and only have TV as a second-level component to the hunt.

I prefer face mask:

• no dirty or questioning looks from face paint
  • no getting face paint on other layers if need to change clothing layers
  • no running paint when getting hot during walk-in/out
  • face paint and facial hair do not mix well some times (why is your mustache green?)
  • no smearing paint into eyes if eyes itch/get dry (happens with contacts)
  • stay cooler in way in/out by removing face mask
  • have mesh face mask for warm weather and a warmer/thermal one for cold weather
  • can remove face mask and slash face with cool water to cool down in warm weather
  • face mask keeps the mosquitoes and black flies off the face and ears (I disdain using repellant on face)
  • easier ID if have to show Driver's license if getting checked by DEC

Face mask does make it awkward to drink from water bottle and munch on an apple, but I am not eating/drink camo paint in the process.

Yes my shooting glasses fog up with the face mask sometimes.  Just move them further down my nose.  Of course on long and strenuous uphill trek, the glasses fog up without a face mask on.

I will try using my anti-fog cleaner for regular glasses on the shooting glasses in the upcoming season to see if that is a good solution.

Edited by Two Track

Remember when applying face paint the idea is to make high spots seem low and low spots seem higher, you want your face to appear flat, darker on the nose, chin cheeks lighter around eyes ears ect

Thanks for the tip.

Face mask. Mesh for early, thermal for late. I prefer not to use a glove on my hand when using hand calls, I feel like it muffles the sound. So I can keep my ungloved hand under my mask to remain unseen. Pesky skeeters have gotten me through the mesh, but not too often. 

I use face paint but its really a personal preference. I do not like things on my face and feel masks impede my vision and hearing. I don't even wear winter hats, I run face paint and a ball cap all season even into the winter. I also have a pretty sweet beard during hunting season so I don't have to much to cover.

• Like 1