Muzzy's or slick trick magnum...

CuseHunter

My first season for archery was last year. I used the spitfire maxx expandables and hated them because the doe and buck I shot had pitiful penetration because they stopped as soon as they hit a rib or edge of shoulder. So... Anyone have experience with slick tricks or muzzy's?

Both work great and are very popular. You'll get better penetration with either. I personally used muzzy 3 blades until I graduated to expandable's. The Muzzys gave me no reason to switch, but the blood trails of the big 2 inch expandable's helped my decision. 

If they stopped because of a rib or even most of the shoulder blade, you are either not shooting enough bow or most likely need more tuning. Different broadhead will not help much if it is a tuning issue - might make it worse.

If they stopped because of a rib or even most of the shoulder blade, you are either not shooting enough bow or most likely need more tuning. Different broadhead will not help much if it is a tuning issue - might make it worse.

X2. A properly tuned bow even with lower poundage and a matched arrow/bh will easily go through a Rib cage or the flat of the blade. It's the knuckle in the shoulder that gets hunters.

Muzzy used to be great, but between bringing their manufacturing in-house, and then being sold off to Rage/conglomerate, many people have reported flight/tuning issues. Slick Tricks standard and magnums aer wonderful. I shoot the standard as I like the blade angle better. They penetrate better than any head I have seen while doing my own personal testing.

I always have one in my quiver along with my Grim Reapers.

Were they long shots?? It just seems odd that they would stop at the ribs. I would think that any decent broad head would have no problem with ribs, at normal ranges.

I switched to Rage two blades, a few years ago and they work awesome. Good penetration and huge holes in and out.

• Like 1

My first season for archery was last year. I used the spitfire maxx expandables and hated them because the doe and buck I shot had pitiful penetration because they stopped as soon as they hit a rib or edge of shoulder. So... Anyone have experience with slick tricks or muzzy's?

Were you shooting them for practice and then never sharpened them before hunting? You should have no issue penetrating rib cage with any sharp broad head. Like they said above, may just be a tuning issue or improper arrow/broad head combo.

I used muzzys for years, hence the name lol.  I shot a buck one year and noticed the blades were bent over in half like a peice of paper.  I didnt like that plus I was getting bored and wanted to try something new so I switched to the spit maxx. Love them!  Hellrazors are a good head too.  I like that you can touch up the blades on a stone.

I was using 125gr Bh's with the CX expidition hunter shaft. Shooting 28.5" draw 65lbs. Hoyt turbo hawk. Now I switched shafts to beman 400 hunter ICS camo pros. And will go with a 100gr BH I think. <br /><br />Both shots were at 20-30 yards. I'll bring my bow to the shop (legends of the fall, Tully NY) and get it checked out. I want to upgrade to a drop rest anyway.

No reason that setup wouldn't produce enough KE/momentum to push through a ribcage.

I'm wondering if in the rush of things, your shot hit elsewhere with a deflect off of something. Maybe offside shoulder.

I shoot the exact bow that you have.  Go with the Slick Trick mags and you won't use any other broadhead again.

I have been using Slick Tricks for 8 years this fall.  They are awesome to say the least.  Every shot has been a complete pass through.  They shoot just like field tips so you won't have re-adjust your sights.  Scary sharp.  Very inexpensive broadheads to shoot.

I fell for the Rage hype a four years ago and it was a disaster.  I've gone back to Tricks and that is all I will ever shoot at deer.

I shoot the exact bow that you have.  Go with the Slick Trick mags and you won't use any other broadhead again.

I have been using Slick Tricks for 8 years this fall.  They are awesome to say the least.  Every shot has been a complete pass through.  They shoot just like field tips so you won't have re-adjust your sights.  Scary sharp.  Very inexpensive broadheads to shoot.

I fell for the Rage hype a four years ago and it was a disaster.  I've gone back to Tricks and that is all I will ever shoot at deer.

I agree that they are good heads, but that's a blanket statement and I have had bows need adjustment. Better yet, its not a sight adjustment...to match field point and bh, you need to bh tune...typically a rest adjustment.

I was using 125gr Bh's with the CX expidition hunter shaft. Shooting 28.5" draw 65lbs. Hoyt turbo hawk. Now I switched shafts to beman 400 hunter ICS camo pros. And will go with a 100gr BH I think. <br /><br />Both shots were at 20-30 yards. I'll bring my bow to the shop (legends of the fall, Tully NY) and get it checked out. I want to upgrade to a drop rest anyway.

Most likely to heavy a head for that spine size on the arrow's you were using. Heavy heads will lesson your spine giving you issues. 100gr shouldn't give you too much problems providing the rest is tuned. I highly recomend Broadhead tuning, even after getting it back from the shop. And if all that fails go to the next stronger spine size.

I was using 125gr Bh's with the CX expidition hunter shaft. Shooting 28.5" draw 65lbs. Hoyt turbo hawk. Now I switched shafts to beman 400 hunter ICS camo pros. And will go with a 100gr BH I think.

Both shots were at 20-30 yards. I'll bring my bow to the shop (legends of the fall, Tully NY) and get it checked out. I want to upgrade to a drop rest anyway.

Most likely to heavy a head for that spine size on the arrow's you were using. Heavy heads will lesson your spine giving you issues. 100gr shouldn't give you too much problems providing the rest is tuned. I highly recomend Broadhead tuning, even after getting it back from the shop. And if all that fails go to the next stronger spine size.

Yea, that's why I'm going to a 100 BH and if this set up doesn't work, going to a 450 spine arrow or even 500

I might just try out a rage then after seeing all the hype. If not then ill use the standard slick tricks

I fell for the Rage hype. First few deer I shot, I swore I'd never use another broadhead. Massive bloodtrails! Then, don't know if something changed in the broadheads or what, but I started losing deer, even with perfect shots! I lost more deer in 2 years with Rage 2 blade, then I had lost in the previous 32 years combined! Do yourself a favor and use google to do more research on Rage. After losing the last one with Rage, I said the hell with them, cut my losses, and switched to Muzzy half way through the season. The next 3 deer I shot, ended up in my freezer!!

Back to your original question though, I don't think you can go wrong with either a Muzzy or Slick Trick. Don't think I've talked to anyone that has had anything bad to say about either one. Muzzy's have been around for a long time and fly beautifully for me, just like my field points. Slick tricks sound quite impressive too, but I have never used them.

Yea, that's why I'm going to a 100 BH and if this set up doesn't work, going to a 450 spine arrow or even 500

You can also play around with arrow legnth, a half inch shorter makes a big difference in spine reaction. But that is a pain with carbon arrows unless you buy a cutter, fyi if you look for a cutter follow Fasteddie's DIY on here and get one from Harbor Freight or some place simular...way cheaper.

I wanted those Muzzy Phantom's to work for me, but they just don't fly at all consistently.  The 3 blade MX always flew great and cut well.  And to date myself the original name of the Muzzy heads were the Matador.  The MX is that head with thicker blades which isn't roo important due to the way the blades sit in the ferrule.  JMO.

Edited by eagle rider

Lighter broadhead stiffens dynamic spine.

A 450 or .500 arrow is weaker. - too week most likely for a 65 lb bow.

Higher the number, the weaker the spine.

Not with beman. That's their attempt at being different. Their numbers for the description are different from the actual spine.

Not with beman. That's their attempt at being different. Their numbers for the description are different from the actual spine.

Tell me about it... I was beyond confused choosing arrows as I am new to archery and had to read about spine, GPI, and other factors

Didn't know that about them.

Stunningly stupid to use  500 as an arrow label and not have it be the actual spine deflection.