Quartering To Shot (Frontal)

BizCT

I'll admit to some quartering to shots, but they've always been very slight angles, more broadside than quartering inward. Can't say I've ever been stymied by that one...moreso because I don't take those hard angle shots...been bit by high and low shots before...and one in the ham in my younger years that I still to this day can't figure out what went wrong (form and fever most likely I guess).

Mistakes happen even with the best of intentions...but as long as you learn more from your losses than your victories, all is well. No need repeating what you've already learned, even if not originally planned.

Took one once, id do it again IF conditions were right, I put an arrow in a doe at 25 yards in the creese between the neck and shoulder piled her right there. Angle of the shot makes alot of difference and us gotta know where your gonna hit and what your gonna hit to kill em and not just wound them, heard of a guy who shot one down the esophagus into the chest cavity when it look up at him, idk if I call bs or what

Thats a pretty big window on an elk for what the OP is doing (10 yds on an animal you know is coming at you and 4x16).

Love that shot with a gun on deer and critters as big as an elk; used with great success.

Have to have a deer with everything going right I think with a bow.

That window would shrink to 2x6 maybe........any guesses to that?

Thats a pretty big window on an elk for what the OP is doing (10 yds on an animal you know is coming at you and 4x16).

Love that shot with a gun on deer and critters as big as an elk; used with great success.

Have to have a deer with everything going right I think with a bow.

That window would shrink to 2x6 maybe........any guesses to that?

I would say thats about right, slim target for sure on a deer but doable with the right archer/right range.

If the window is in fact 2" wide, that means if you hit 1" on either side of where you are aiming, your starting to Get into trouble. At close yardage and from the ground, I can understand someone rationalizing the shot. But I would hate to have to explain myself if the deer gets away.

I would say it depends on how close you are and what your angle really is. I held on a doe at about 5 yards last fall that was nearly right below me. She wouldn't move and I had the choice of letting down or taking the shot. I had enough time to analyze the shot angle and where the arrow should come out. Took the shot and couldn't have placed it better with my hand. I would not have taken the same shot if the deer was 20+ yards away though.

post-50-0-87012200-1377288236_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-29197900-1377288256_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-25603400-1377288273_thumb.jpg

Just not worth it in my book. I've had to help guys that took bad shots track deer and heard, "Well I thought I could........" TOO many times and not recovered the deer! 

That was a perfectly placed shot Sam, but I just wouldn't encourage/condone anyone to take it...

I'm already dreading all of the "I hit 'em but can't find it!", "HELP!", "No Blood", "Will He Survive?", etc..... posts that will be starting in a few weeks...

Edited by Cabin Fever

For an archer who is a GOOD shot, on the ground, on an elk...Perhaps..

Low percentage shot for an archer of average abilities shooting at a deer from a treestand..

Of course, I know that every body that posts on this forum other than me is an EXCELLENT shot with archery gear...<<smile>>..

• Like 2

He had lots of blood and pink foamy blood too.. we waited 2 hours any way..tracked him 200 yds..jumped him Up in the dark....

Not being too bright and encouraged by the foamy blood we came back at midnight.. jumped him again 300 yds later...

. The next morning... Very little blood and another tough 3 hours of tracking...we found him. One blade from the broadhead had barely punctured the chest cavity...

Chances are if we hadn't tried to track him, untill the morning , he would have been laying where we 1st jumped him 200yds in.

Gun=YES

Bow=Depends how i feel at the time and the angle the deer is at...

Not trying to offend.... Under no cercumstance would I recomend this shot to a beggining bowhunter.. Broadside or slightly quartering away shots only.... I wish someone had beaten this into my head when I 1st started..

• Like 3

Not trying to offend.... Under no cercumstance would I recomend this shot to a beggining bowhunter.. Broadside or slightly quartering away shots only.... I wish someone had beaten this into my head when I 1st started..

thats what i mean... at this point no but someday possibly