Quartering To Shot (Frontal)

BizCT

I passed on a mature buck last year that gave me a hard quartering to shot. Had him at 15 yards at full draw, could have put it right in the same spot as Sam did, but I just couldnt bring my self to chance a bad shot. I waited for him to turn, but he never did. Sometimes I think I should have done it, but mostly I just hope I get another shot at him this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a nice buck two years ago at less than 15 yards quartering to me.  I put it in the crease of his shoulder and chest and he didn't go far at all.  If its close like that I don't see a reason why not to take the shot as long as you can place it well and are close. 

I think we can all agree that the shot window in this case is pretty small. What always crosse my mind in a scenarion like this is what can take place as soon as we release that arrow. There are many on here that can put an arrow in a 2" window every time at 15 yards...20...30 maybe even 40. But we are talking a small window. I know the bows out now are very fast and the time to target is short, but not immediate. Even if we do our part nd the hold is steady, pin placment is on the money and the release and follow through are perfect, we can't control what he deer is about to do. A twitch, a step or a shoulder shrug can change the outcome. Heck it can happen with higher percentage shots. I am not saying to not take this shot but I am saying to consider the possible outcome before you do.

• Like 4

I would say the tree stand helps the situation.  It gets you shooting down, and you dont have to worry about the shoulder blade as much as your coming in basically on top of it. If you miss high and hit the spine the deer isnt going anywhere. From the ground, you really have to thread the needle to get penetration. From the air things open up, at least thats my take on it

I know I don't have the confidence to make a severe quartering to shot., especially from a treestand. The downward angle seems to get out of the boilermaker so quick.

i took one once off the ground years ago at a spike buck at 10 yards (was nearly full frontal) will not do it again.. long track job called in deer search, not found. buddy shot buck next year as screwed up 4pt and recovered my arrow (27 in) lodged under spine incased in a sac. everytime that buck tried to curl up the arrow acted like a rod in its spine.. had to be awful pain...never doing that again.