Just got my school tax bill.

sits in trees

those 2 things are guaranteed... the IRS will get their taxes and we will all eventually die. its a given, unfortunately

the public is held hostage yes. stop paying taxes and the IRS will handle ya. even with a collapse of a system and yet they will still get their money. you watch  

I can deal with my IRS taxes, I can use deductions and claim expenses, and I have children that actually gives me a break on the amount of tax I pay, I also get to deduct the school tax I get raped for every year. And my IRS income tax hasn't increased by 30% in the last 6 years.

Yeah, Uncle(IRS) will always get his taxes, but these school (and property taxes) are local, not federal taxes.

We have school superintendents that make over $300,000 per year plus perks. When increases of school taxes fail to get approval, these administrators threaten with cutting sports, etc. and that sends parents into a panic. When the school loses they hold another vote(after the threats), then they almost always get approved on the second vote. So citizens approve these higher taxes (a sore spot for me). You can't win !! When they win, we can't appeal !

When my local taxes broke the 5 figure mark, I thought of leaving, but decided that I really like it on LI so I stayed. So I can't bitch too much. I did appeal my taxes and got them cut a bit.

I would like to know, why, on the Federal/State taxes, do more kids mean less taxes. They use more services, and pay less..I could never figure that one out. I know more kids cost parents more, but they don't have to have more kids, it's a choice.

that's what gets me, threatening to cut sports and other special programs to scare the people into voting the budget through.......last time I checked, not every kid gets to play a sport or some of the other extra curricular activities.........what is it it, about 20 kids make the football team and the rest who try out are sent home.......why then are we all paying for this?

$4,062 for 900sq ft, 1bedroom in a crappy school district that I would never send my kid to if I had one.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

From now on when I feel the need to complain about taxes on 100 acres I will just re-read this post.  YIKES your paying much more on 900sc ft than I am for close to 100 acres.  That is absolutely insane.

From now on when I feel the need to complain about taxes on 100 acres I will just re-read this post.  YIKES your paying much more on 900sc ft than I am for close to 100 acres.  That is absolutely insane.

No kidding!! I pay $2800 for my school taxes on 2000 sq feet and 2 acres. You guys downstate are getting raped! And as far as property values go, I just sold my old house for $85k and bought it 10 years ago for $67k. I think that was a fair return on my money. Wouldn't have earned that much interest sitting in the bank for 10 years!

If you didnt have a mortgage on it is,  but you guys have to factor in your total payments with interest on those loans.  Then add in all your tax payments did you guys really make out better than sticking it in a bank?  10 years of taxes at 2800 is more than the return on your investment.

Edited by wdswtr

If you didnt have a mortgage on it is,  but you guys have to factor in your total payments with interest on those loans.  Then add in all your tax payments did you guys really make out better than sticking it in a bank?  10 years of taxes at 2800 is more than the return on your investment.

My taxes on that house were $1300. They are $2800 on my new house, which I paid cash for so I don't have a mortgage payment.

No kidding!! I pay $2800 for my school taxes on 2000 sq feet and 2 acres. You guys downstate are getting raped! And as far as property values go, I just sold my old house for $85k and bought it 10 years ago for $67k. I think that was a fair return on my money. Wouldn't have earned that much interest sitting in the bank for 10 years!

Rule of thumb on investments is you double your money in ten years, that rule on real estate doesn't hold true, but with the jumps in the stock market in the last 2-3 years it still pretty much does. Second homes are not the investment of choice much anymore.

Rule of thumb on investments is you double your money in ten years, that rule on real estate doesn't hold true, but with the jumps in the stock market in the last 2-3 years it still pretty much does. Second homes are not the investment of choice much anymore.

Ha-ha .... the housing bubble hasn't burst, but it sure does have a serious leak. It's a correction that was due many years ago. A lot of people fattened up their bank accounts by periodically trading up in housing. But like a pyramid scheme, there are a bunch of people left holding the bag right now.

But back to the subject of taxation, the problem is that school taxation is like a ratchet. It has only one way that it can go ..... up. Taxation doesn't seem to react to a housing market slumps, only housing market booms. Assessments seldom seem to go down when the market is depressed. And in the rare cases where they do, the rates increase to compensate.You still have a bloated number of projects that taxpayers are demanding, along with a bloated number of school employees all needing a bloated pay check and bloated benefits to accomplish a bloated wish list presented by the taxpayers (residents). Actually when you think about it taxation is simply established on the demands of the residents. They want more and better services and by golly, somebody has to pay for them.

Those who want less school taxes are going to have to cut back on all the unnecessary goodies that are being thrown all over our children (that ain't going to happen). The fastest way to crank taxes up is to invoke the "it's for the children" card. Anyone doubt that? Just follow the process that happens after a school budget is voted down. The austerity budget gets trotted out (which generally is still higher that the previous years) and in it are cuts in athletic programs. Oh damn! All hell breaks loose, and the on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th vote the parents can't vote that budget back in fast enough. It works every time.

I know this is getting a bit long, but I have to mention the changes in our school situation. I still live in the same district where I went to school. That gives me a rather unique perspective on how things have changed over a lot of years. Graduating class sizes have really not changed all that much, perhaps an additional 10%, if that. And yet over the years, they added a separate rather large elementary school, complete with an entire administration system. Twice the square footage, twice the administration expenses. The original school building has doubled in size, so now we are up to 4 times the square footage (and another addition this year). Now remember ...... still almost the same number of students. Today we have a double run of school busses. That is, an additional late bus to take care of those that have after-school activities. Needless to say that requires more frequent replacement of buses along with additional maintenance and drivers and fuel. And on and on it all goes. It's not just simple inflation, it is forced inflation through reckless demands by the taxpayers. And then the frosting on the cake is that the level of actual education is such that graduates are practically illiterate. Anyway, that is the view from someone who has been there to watch how taxes have gone nuts in one school district.

• Like 1

Doc - what you wrote is literally a mirror of my town both historically and this year.

The "for the children" card never got played as much as it did this spring.

We have 5 times the administration now as when I graduated in 1969.

Catch phrase was "it's only a 3% hike".

Yea - 3% this year and next and forever with no change in end result other than downward.

Well here is a example of the school taxes in my area. On one parcel of property which is 105 acres (this is agriculture assessed). In 2011 school tax bill was $1429.04 in 2012 it was $1567.65 and in 2013 its now $1701.64. Doc is correct what they do is say look the rate stayed the same but change the assessment rate from say 90 percent to 95 percent of assessed value.

I enjoy upstate NY. There's a nice life to be had here, but I'll be honest, the taxes are just insane...from the pricing to the way it is simply conducted.

Case in point, I have a split level. The lower level has no egress directly outside. Downstairs is two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a living room. Also is the utility room (washer/dryer, furnace, w. heater, etc.).

My insurance company calls this house a 2 bedroom 1 bath at 990 sq ft, because it doesn't have the egress. My town taxes me at 4 bedroom/2 bath at 2,000 square ft (including upstairs)...even after made being aware that there's no egress.

Sure, is it a technicality? Yes. But, the town is quick to jump on any technicality that would earn more revenue, so it should go both ways.

Well here is a example of the school taxes in my area. On one parcel of property which is 105 acres (this is agriculture assessed). In 2011 school tax bill was $1429.04 in 2012 it was $1567.65 and in 2013 its now $1701.64. Doc is correct what they do is say look the rate stayed the same but change the assessment rate from say 90 percent to 95 percent of assessed value.

WOW...$1429.04...thats a monthly tax bill down here.  2000sq ft house on 1/2 acre is about $15000 a year in total school and local taxes.  I own a few rental houses (nothing nice...starter homes)  and I think my cheapest total tax in $10,000 per year

Unfortunately, NYS is a lost cause. Taxes in this state are insane.

The politicians (Republicans and Democrats) are all the same, they sold out to public sector unions. Union employees work 15 or 20 years and collect pensions that their neighbors have to pay. I don’t blame the union workers, I would take the $ if I could. But it’s not right that a cop, firefighter, teacher, garbage collector retires at 40 years old and collects $75,000+ for the rest if his / her life. Someone needs to pay the bill!

Vote with your feet, leave if you can!  If and when the market recovers I'll be selling everything I own in this state.  I might buy vacant land upstate to hunt on. but I can nolonger stomach paying the amount this state wants from me.  I earned it...I worked 100+ hours a week for it...they just take and take and take

It sucks no matter what you pay or where you live.  Taxes in this state are out of control.   I know many families raising kids in the south.  The education isn’t that bad down there.

The difference between NYS and southern states is that in NYS, state, county and local employees are paid very well.  Get great benefits and generous pensions.    But this is what the residents of this state want.  They voted for this by electing officials that sold out to public sector unions

This state is F’d.  just remember every September BOHICA

Edited by mmkay

I just read in yahoo news a guy paid his school tax portion it was a bit over $7000 he paid it in person at the tax collectors office and he payed in all $1.00 bills so the lady had to count out over 7k in dollar bills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That's funny, but of course the guy was taking out his frustration on the wrong person. She didn't concoct the assessment or the tax rate. She probably didn't even have any say in the origin of the budget. Also, I'll bet he didn't get his receipt until she finished counting every last dollar..... while he sat there cooling his heels....lol.

HUFFINGTON POST?  isn't that the the left wing nut jobs Arianna Huffington site?  any source s that are not bias? 

doesn't matter when you back up statements with facts on this website. I've never met such a stubborn bunch.

does the cost of your tax bill linearly represent the education your kids receive? no. look at some of the grammar on here as a prime example. But it is a good solid education with lots of opportunities to play sports, art or music.

It's not so much the pay of the teacher as it is the benefits. There was a school system in Buffalo whose healthcare was so good they would pay for plastic surgery. My mom just retired as a kindergarten teacher. She was not loaded, and if it wasn't for my dad's income she would probably just be scraping by. I know couples who both teach and a lot of them take up summer jobs.