Frost On The Punkin...........

Lawdwaz

Yup, frost warnings up for Allegheny County, and a potential for lows in the 30's in counties south of Rts 5&20 in Western NY. Man that's pretty early for that kind of crap, isn't it? Are we setting up for an ugly winter? I've gotten pretty soft when it comes to my winter driving skills. I really don't need anything like that.

I hope not...if its from Don Paul I'd say def not..he overreacts to everything by at least 200%

I dare say that most local weathermen try to boost their ratings and viewership by running around in circles hollering about how the sky is falling. They don't feel that they have done their job unless they get you all worked up about pretend weather disasters. However, this Allegheny County frost warning is from the National Weather Service. Since they don't get any real TV exposure and really are not in the TV ratings game, I believe that they are a little more responsible about their forecasts and warnings.

• Like 1

I love those meteorological words like "possible", "scattered", "occasional", "mostly", "might", and "potential". When you hear these words, you can assume that they have absolutely no idea. These vague terms also make their forecasts absolutely worthless as a planning tool. 

But sometimes when I am feeling in a particular charitable mood, I do have to admit that here in western NY, all weather I extremely local. The variations in elevation, the effects of those two Great Lakes, Erie and Ontario, certainly allows for chopped up conditions that literally do change from one part of a town to another. Trying to come up with a forecast that covers all those different communities is something that probably is impossible. Heck, we can have a 10 degree differential from the valley floor to the hill-top. I have looked across the road and seen snow lying half way down the hill with nothing on the lower half.

So if they say there might be frosts, that probably is about as good as they can do.